New Everton Stadium Discussion

I cant either. But common sense/knowledge has to be that he is the only thing/person connected to the club that could open loans of hundreds of millions to EFC.

Maybe there's another explanation and the banks will or have been persuaded to loan to Everton on the basis of its Kitbag deal?!

Do you have mortgage Dave?

Your right but it's worrying, if Spurs a glamour club in London with a top of the range stadium haven't been able to attract sponsors, it begs the question, how will we ?

There could be a number of reasons. Is their new ground location to close to the or old one to remove association from White Hart Lane? Is London saturated with sponsored buildings? Is Levy asking for too much? Who knows. Like I say it may be a challenge, but it's not a death knell. IMO anyway.

doom merchant. Have you been constantly asleep during the last 20 odd years mate ?
No just I sit middle ground. Didnt get to high when Moshiri came in and we were going to rule the world
or to low, like when we’d over spent and we didn’t have a pot to p in and we’d be playing under 18yrs for the next 2 years because we have to sell everybody. Like when theEsk says we won’t spend a penny this summer Amd we went and spent 60mil

Like I say doom merchants who haven’t really got a clue

No just I sit middle ground. Didnt get to high when Moshiri came in and we were going to rule the world
or to low, like when we’d over spent and we didn’t have a pot to p in and we’d be playing under 18yrs for the next 2 years because we have to sell everybody. Like when theEsk says we won’t spend a penny this summer Amd we went and spent 60mil

Like I say doom merchants who haven’t really got a clue
fair enough

There must be viable concerns about financing in the context of the sanctions, and Usmanov acting as a guarantor of loans, but what makes Evertons position so unique that we cannot/could not secure private financing if it is presumably going to be repaid over a period of decades?

I expect net costs will exceed the £500m quoted, but Moshiri had committed £100m IIRC, and presumably that was locked-in already for the project to get this far. Even if not, and I'm not discounting its a significant sum of money, £500m, is roughly a whole teams worth of our record signing, a certain Icelandic international.

Is this not just a mortgage but for a football club?

For me the problem was always to secure a decent site and get planning permission and those hurdles have been overcome. What makes Everton different to a club like Sunderland for example in a difficulty attracting a funding partner or partners, for a period of 30-40 years? Virtually every club in the top tiers in the UK and Europe has either had a new stadium or stadium overhaul in the last 30 years. Even the Italian clubs are now getting around to upgrades and stadium moves, I accept there is a large degree of municipality support there.

I'd accept things like the potential for relegation and more significantly, the prospect of a European Super League could be likely to detract from funding, but I'd imagine all those scenarios have already been worked through in detail.

If private funding is already in place, then would any lender have been foolhardy enough to completely overlook, the possibility that funding guaranteed through a Kremlin oligarch (if that is indeed the case) might not be the best horse to back, or has the situation in Ukraine come as a total and complete shock to that part of the corporate world whose job it is to be conservative and risk-aware? Perhaps it actually has but if it was that badly thought through, then we really are in trouble and the development is no better than a house of cards then.

And even then, why can't / couldn't we attract funding over a 30-40 year period based on our 144 year existence and record tenure in the top-flight? Even if on terms more onerous than might have been available to say, Spurs? And with local government support? And potentially that of a new owner and board, should Moshiri need to sell? It's not like we have to pay it all back in 12 months.

Just playing devils advocate.

Last edited:

You've gotta laugh at the backtracking of some supporters here regarding our 'Russian blood money'.

At one point, it was romanticized and encouraged. Now, they'd prefer to see us stay at Goodison and send us back to the stone age if it means 'Standing with Ukraine.

What happens when mainstream media point fingers at China and declare them the new enemy in several years time?

And then every other country that has a wealth of resources that we want to get our filthy hands on but are not playing ball? ?

The UK / US elite are just as corrupt, power hungry and have just as much blood on their hands.

Only difference is, they control the narrative.

Nothing to see here.

You’re right, buying land, hiring an architect, designing it, getting planning permission, infilling a dock, and starting to lay foundations

That’s about 0.1%
Have you even seen the site? Let me guess...No. I have, every day, it is a blank canvas right now. It IS literally 0.1% done in building work and finance. How many millions did the RS waste on hiring an architect, designing it, getting planning permission on the Stanley Park that never happened? A quick google shows at least £50m. The same can easily happen to us.