New Everton Stadium Discussion

Yeah I get that, everybody is different. I know the route quite well, it certainly isn't viable for a lot of people who aren't fit etc plus is exposed.

I know a lot fancy this but I'd rather have a roof. Knowing that area it might be OK being outside for about three games a season.

The transport plan is the one thing that stands out to me as underwhelming though I have a sneaky feeling there's more to come on that score. I hope so as I'll be walking unless the weather is bad in which case I'll be on the train. If there's no roofed provisions for a beer or bars nearby it's a case of being 'coralled' at Sandhills.

Where are you travelling from?

The transport plan is the one thing that stands out to me as underwhelming though I have a sneaky feeling there's more to come on that score. I hope so as I'll be walking unless the weather is bad in which case I'll be on the train. If there's no roofed provisions for a beer or bars nearby it's a case of being 'coralled' at Sandhills.

One of my main reservations about the whole project has been the transport issue. The alarm bells were ringing when I saw the initial transport plan, as it was nothing of the sort. It was a short list of fairly vague ideas, with very little substance when questioned. I was assured at the initial consultation that there had been far more work put into transport than was indicated, and that this would be reflected in the presentations to follow. I waited for those, only to be similarly underwhelmed by the lack of detail at each subsequent stage. At the next round of consultations Colin Chong informed us that there had been no progress on the Vauxhall station (in effect that it wasn't now happening) and hinted at frustration in dealing with Merseytravel on this fundamental part of the logistical planning. Again, there was no real hint about how the modelling of people and traffic movement around the site had shown ways to achieve the desired dispersal rates despite that fundamental loss.

I was very interested in this aspect of the project because a former transport planning colleague of mine did an assessment of a stadium on one of the more central docks at the time of destination Kirkby (he'd previously shown how that project was complete pie in the sky in terms of transport, and was proven right). He had access to all traffic/transport data for the city-region at that time, because he had been working on various transport projects locally including Merseytram. He modelled several options and generated figures for numbers of buses, trains, road-closures, traffic management required to keep traffic and people moving efficiently etc. It was only an outline plan.... but with some depth, and it highlighted the obvious issues and shortfalls, and what could be done to address then. That was a site roughly half the distance from town, offering shorter turn around times for shuttles and shorter walking distances too.

I had hoped that by this stage we'd be looking at a dedicated (elevated) line feeding the full frontage from say Sandhills, through Liverpool waters and along the strand to Brunswick Dk to simultaneously kick start all the stalled development schemes along that route. Ultimately that may be the way forward to really improve access.

I know one of the Finance Leaders at Laing O’Rourke last week who mentioned to me they have been told a June start on site.

Off SkyscraperCity.

One of my main reservations about the whole project has been the transport issue. The alarm bells were ringing when I saw the initial transport plan, as it was nothing of the sort. It was a short list of fairly vague ideas, with very little substance when questioned. I was assured at the initial consultation that there had been far more work put into transport than was indicated, and that this would be reflected in the presentations to follow. I waited for those, only to be similarly underwhelmed by the lack of detail at each subsequent stage. At the next round of consultations Colin Chong informed us that there had been no progress on the Vauxhall station (in effect that it wasn't now happening) and hinted at frustration in dealing with Merseytravel on this fundamental part of the logistical planning. Again, there was no real hint about how the modelling of people and traffic movement around the site had shown ways to achieve the desired dispersal rates despite that fundamental loss.

I was very interested in this aspect of the project because a former transport planning colleague of mine did an assessment of a stadium on one of the more central docks at the time of destination Kirkby (he'd previously shown how that project was complete pie in the sky in terms of transport, and was proven right). He had access to all traffic/transport data for the city-region at that time, because he had been working on various transport projects locally including Merseytram. He modelled several options and generated figures for numbers of buses, trains, road-closures, traffic management required to keep traffic and people moving efficiently etc. It was only an outline plan.... but with some depth, and it highlighted the obvious issues and shortfalls, and what could be done to address then. That was a site roughly half the distance from town, offering shorter turn around times for shuttles and shorter walking distances too.

I had hoped that by this stage we'd be looking at a dedicated (elevated) line feeding the full frontage from say Sandhills, through Liverpool waters and along the strand to Brunswick Dk to simultaneously kick start all the stalled development schemes along that route. Ultimately that may be the way forward to really improve access.

Not sure why they're calling Waterloo 'Central Dock' but they are mentioning kayaks :D

Did I read somewhere in this thread that the walk from Kirkdale Station to Goodison would be similar to a stroll from town to BMD.?
Kirkdale station to Goodison takes me 10 /15 minutes depending on the amount of dog [Poor language removed]. Town to BMD about 30/35 minutes I reckon.

Kirkdale station to Goodison takes me 10 /15 minutes depending on the amount of dog [Poor language removed]. Town to BMD about 30/35 minutes I reckon.
I thought as much. Train from town to Kirkdale was my mode of travel, then meander through the streets to Goodison. I didn't think the journey was similar.

Bike lanes need to be introduced from town to BMD and backed up with a nice big bike park near the ground.

North Liverpool will soon be awash with drunken fatties on their kids BMX bikes weaving all over the dock road.

Actually - just thought of a business opportunity renting out electric bikes on match days.