New Everton Stadium Discussion

We'll pardon me for not having a valid opinion just because I haven't posted a large pile of vacuous guff over the last 5 years. That's me out.
For me you make a valid point, 1 man 1 vote . it doesn't matter how many posts you've made, your opinion is equally valid and from my experience of @davek I suspect he would agree. Unless of course personal insults are involved(I'm not saying there are as i haven't read your posts)

In my short time on here Davek has driven me to distraction many times. But I enjoy debating with him and he certainly enlivens this place up at times. One things for certain ,beneath that irascible, cynical ,bitter exterior ,there beats the heart of a true Evertonian and that, in the end, is all that matters.

We can't have it everyway.
People, including Dave, talk about NSNO. They want a team that is challenging for titles and for silverware but at the same time they want to put limits and boundaries as to how this can be achieved.

We have to accept, in my opinion, that unless calculated risks are taken to move the club onto a higher financial plain then we are condemned to a repeat of the last thirty years.

Yes, Chelsea and City got incredibly lucky to get the owners they have, from a strictly success point of view. We , at Everton, cannot afford to sit on our hands and hope something similar happens to Everton.
Nor, is it reasonable or practical to expect an owner to drop maybe half a billion pounds into the club to fund a new stadium and buy new players.
It is quite possibly more money than Moshiri could raise and certainly more than the club is worth at present.

In my opinion, we stagnate or take calculated business risks to move forward.

We'll pardon me for not having a valid opinion just because I haven't posted a large pile of vacuous guff over the last 5 years. That's me out.
trlrky.gif

I am in the process of moving home. Myself & the missus are embarking on a 25 year journey in which we borrow (big gulp) £410,000 & pay it & the interest back in monthly payments.
Now we don't have children yet but we are getting a 3 bedroom home. No children? Why not get just a 2 bedroom home then?. Well we hope down the line to have more than 1 child & it's bloody expensive to move twice.
Now we could have thrown money at our smaller, older house which we are renting but had the option to purchase, done it up & added an extension but the land was tight & although it could be done, it wouldn't really ever forfill our future needs. Even after that it still costs a lot to heat etc due to its inefficiency so we feel it's money not well spent despite its character & the feelings we have towards it.

So even though we are taking on a massive debt which will hang over us until we are considering our retirement years, we feel that our future children & hopefully thier children will benefit from our financial sacrifice.
I'm not a poor person compared to some & have rich friends called Mum & Dad. They offered the interest free loan option but as a couple we decided to stand on our own two feet & except the burden of real debt so we are fully in control rather than rely on one person (parents in the singular). Also we would have felt terrible if they suddenly needed that money & we had spent it.

Now bar my parents offering to help, I think what I have said about my current life is pretty much what goes on with a whole lot of people up & down the country on a daily basis. We all hope our property will go up in value & that we can afford the scary decisions we make. We also believe that our future quality of life will be better & more enriched with the trappings of what a new home brings.

Now the bank manager that will be putting me into huge debt is called James. That's pretty much all I know about him. He will lend me money at the best rate I found. Right now, Barclay's have me by the balls. Rather them than my parents!!!

This story is really my life. It's not made up to sound like purchasing a new stadium. Yet it does. How completely normal.

I am in the process of moving home. Myself & the missus are embarking on a 25 year journey in which we borrow (big gulp) £410,000 & pay it & the interest back in monthly payments.
Now we don't have children yet but we are getting a 3 bedroom home. No children? Why not get just a 2 bedroom home then?. Well we hope down the line to have more than 1 child & it's bloody expensive to move twice.
Now we could have thrown money at our smaller, older house which we are renting but had the option to purchase, done it up & added an extension but the land was tight & although it could be done, it wouldn't really ever forfill our future needs. Even after that it still costs a lot to heat etc due to its inefficiency so we feel it's money not well spent despite its character & the feelings we have towards it.

So even though we are taking on a massive debt which will hang over us until we are considering our retirement years, we feel that our future children & hopefully thier children will benefit from our financial sacrifice.
I'm not a poor person compared to some & have rich friends called Mum & Dad. They offered the interest free loan option but as a couple we decided to stand on our own two feet & except the burden of real debt so we are fully in control rather than rely on one person (parents in the singular). Also we would have felt terrible if they suddenly needed that money & we had spent it.

Now bar my parents offering to help, I think what I have said about my current life is pretty much what goes on with a whole lot of people up & down the country on a daily basis. We all hope our property will go up in value & that we can afford the scary decisions we make. We also believe that our future quality of life will be better & more enriched with the trappings of what a new home brings.

Now the bank manager that will be putting me into huge debt is called James. That's pretty much all I know about him. He will lend me money at the best rate I found. Right now, Barclay's have me by the balls. Rather them than my parents!!!

This story is really my life. It's not made up to sound like purchasing a new stadium. Yet it does. How completely normal.

Best of luck to you and your missus mate.

We embarked on moving to where we are in 1994 and now the dream house is paid for DG, and we have a 20 year old angel of a daughter - she's a Blue of course - but we could have stayed where we were in a smaller house and played safe.

Everton FC took a major risk in 1892 for all sorts of reasons and it could have bitten Mahon and Baxter and their colleagues but they were brave and did what was clearly the right thing, morally and financially to get away from Houlding and his ilk.

There must be a long term strategic vision for Everton FC (and for a family btw) or we can play cautious and make do - the latter approach will see us staying around 6th or 7th place at best.

We need wisdom and courage along with plenty of temperance to make the progress that is needed. This is not about some knee jerk "keep up with the Joneses" attitude, but Everton FC should again be groundbreaking in what it is aiming to achieve.

You all know the list of firsts for which Everton can claim ownership. They have been lacking in recent years, but this strikes me as a return to the ideals of the pioneers who moved across Stanley Park all those years ago.

Hi Jeff,

For a project of this size, you would seek outline permission before really spending big money on a successful planning application. I'd imagine consultations with the planning authority are taking place throughout the process. All the various reports needed for a project of this size is what takes up most resources. I'd reckon a planning application could be lodged at the end of the year at the earliest or in early 2018, then a decision could take between 2-4 months.
Thanks Niall, but I'm impatient. I want to see the spade in the ground. I admit that I'm not familiar with the detail of the process, and I don't understand why it should take so long.

I know that the funding of the project has to be finalised and can take time, but surely once that's been sorted
it shouldn't take long for it to be signed off on. Or is that simplistic?

Another one who thinks the bubble can keep on expanding and expanding.
But it does. Oh, there are occasional blips along the way, but look at the graph, it just goes up over time.

As for the risk, to what extent does LLC's position as guarantor mitigate it?

But it does. Oh, there are occasional blips along the way, but look at the graph, it just goes up over time.

As for the risk, to what extent does LLC's position as guarantor mitigate it?

I bought my house for 30 grand 35?yrs ago
It's now worth 450 grand
It went as high as 600 grand and and as low as 250 grand in the last 10 yrs
As you say there are dips but over a period property will always go up.
The repayments are easily manageable
I'd much rather pay for my house over 20 years and be able to afford to live comfortably than pay for it over 5 and struggle to buy food.

We can't have it everyway.
People, including Dave, talk about NSNO. They want a team that is challenging for titles and for silverware but at the same time they want to put limits and boundaries as to how this can be achieved.

We have to accept, in my opinion, that unless calculated risks are taken to move the club onto a higher financial plain then we are condemned to a repeat of the last thirty years.

Yes, Chelsea and City got incredibly lucky to get the owners they have, from a strictly success point of view. We , at Everton, cannot afford to sit on our hands and hope something similar happens to Everton.
Nor, is it reasonable or practical to expect an owner to drop maybe half a billion pounds into the club to fund a new stadium and buy new players.
It is quite possibly more money than Moshiri could raise and certainly more than the club is worth at present.

In my opinion, we stagnate or take calculated business risks to move forward.

Good post mate, very well put.

Another one who thinks the bubble can keep on expanding and expanding.
I agree with you here Davek, but I don't share your fear regarding the sustainability of the stadium repayments.

The football bubble won't keep expanding, and there are already signs that TV companies in the UK have overpaid for rights deals. It's probably not going to burst though, as the EPL will continue to be a massive draw for viewers around the world for the forseeable future. If the TV money reduces, it is likely that the players salaries will too. That is by far the biggest expense of any football club, and miles higher than competing leagues pay. It is also worth considering that:
  • The stadium will bring in naming rights that will carry a premium for being a 'state of the art arena' on Liverpool's docks.
  • The corporate provisions and additional seats will generate extra revenue.
  • Revamping Goodison (if possible) to a sufficient standard would likely a couple of hundred million anyway, and wouldn't generate the same income as a new stadium in the docks. That would also put us in massive debt, and probably wouldn't be loaned to us on such favourable terms.
So ........ calm down and enjoy the new stadium.