New Everton Stadium Discussion

Boy done good with this. I have always maintained short of relegating/bankrupting us I can accept a serious downturn now to have that stadium and a chance of a better future. Of course we are sailing pretty close to the wind in regard to my minimum requirements but hopefully we can avoid that reappraisal.

While I don't think he'll ever be viewed warmly I hope supporters in time will come to see he was someone who wanted what we all wanted (to make us a force in the game) and it never quite worked and if it wasn't for a few sliding door moments we may have gone on to have been that. It was really that close.
At the end of the day he will have a legacy to be proud of as players and seasons come and go but this will be with Everton for a hundred years or more, compared to Kenwright’s one cup final and blue gravel.

Well said mate - I have no ill feelings towards the man.

I disliked Kenwright as owner as you knew he didnt care about trying to compete - for him it was just about the ego of owning the club.

With Mosh Man you know he has genuinely tried to have us competing at the top end but as you said it never worked out.

Footballs a funny old game - had we been able to have attracted Simeone when we enquired or Ancelotti a few years earlier when the money was there to be spent I imagine we'll have cracked the top 6 and things may have ended up much differently. The Putin/Ukraine situation has also hit us hard in terms of Usmanovs backing.

Still give me Moshiri over some Yanks putting bank loans out on the club any day of the week.

Didn't the club say a while back that all structural supplies were already manufactured? If I did recall that right then it can only be the fitting out and who knows how much those materials have already been prepurchased.

Therefore could be clickbait, things could swing here and there but we wouldn't be talking about tens/hundreds of millions of pounds to be added on to the bill.

LoR and their subcontractors started manufacturing elements for the stadium a long time ago, well before they were ever needed on site. The cost of all major elements of the build would have been fixed so the club wouldn't be on the hook for any sudden jump in steel prices for instance. There might be other instances where things fluctuate in price but I can't think if anything really that would change so much that the club would need to fork out extra and even if they did it would likely be nominal in the grand scheme of things.

The club and LoR would have been through a period of Value Engineering before finalising/ signing the main contract so prices for everything, including any changes in spec, should have already been agreed.

There is always potential for unforseens and something might occur where the availaibility of a product changes which could mean a more expensive alternative is needed. However, this is unlikely and we wouldn't be talking huge sums anyway.

Therefore, the only potential significant changes in the contract price would come as a result of changes requested by the club. So whilst the contract sum won't be necessarilly 100% fixed, it is as close to being as it possibly could be. The main point being the club shouldn't be at the mercy of a huge increase in build cost because the price of steel or concrete suddenly jumps again.

Boy done good with this. I have always maintained short of relegating/bankrupting us I can accept a serious downturn now to have that stadium and a chance of a better future. Of course we are sailing pretty close to the wind in regard to my minimum requirements but hopefully we can avoid that reappraisal.

While I don't think he'll ever be viewed warmly I hope supporters in time will come to see he was someone who wanted what we all wanted (to make us a force in the game) and it never quite worked and if it wasn't for a few sliding door moments we may have gone on to have been that. It was really that close.
At the end of the day he will have a legacy to be proud of as players and seasons come and go but this will be with Everton for a hundred years or more, compared to Kenwright’s one cup final and blue gravel.
Those will be the times Kia Jobbychin walked through the Finch Farm main entrance I guess….
Do agree with you though, however misguided he’s been you can’t say he didn’t put his money where his mouth was (possibly the Russian publics money but let’s not split hairs)

How was it ever close to that?

There have been loads, had Lukaku stayed on for a few more years. Between Walsh/Koeman and Kenwright had they not been numpties we would have ended up with a far more balanced squad when we had money, but possibly Giroud's missus blocking his move leaving us without a recognised striker was the closest to being transformational. Then had Silva's assistant and Gana not buggered off after that really good end to the season we had, then the following one we would have been building on top of something, rather than rip up and start again. What if James had remained fit throughout Carlo's season, who knows we may have gotten Europe and balanced the books better to be able to give him a transfer budget the following season and perhaps he would have stayed.

Covid and the war have hindered and limited us, brexit probably pushed the price of the stadium by quite a big percentage. If a couple of those went in our favour we would have been in a far better position.

There have been loads, had Lukaku stayed on for a few more years. Between Walsh/Koeman and Kenwright had they not been numpties we would have ended up with a far more balanced squad when we had money, but possibly Giroud's missus blocking his move leaving us without a recognised striker was the closest to being transformational. Then had Silva's assistant and Gana not buggered off after that really good end to the season we had, then the following one we would have been building on top of something, rather than rip up and start again. What if James had remained fit throughout Carlo's season, who knows we may have gotten Europe and balanced the books better to be able to give him a transfer budget the following season and perhaps he would have stayed.

Covid and the war have hindered and limited us, brexit probably pushed the price of the stadium by quite a big percentage. If a couple of those went in our favour we would have been in a far better position.

In short, we were never actually close apart from in imaginary fantastical scenarios.

In short, we were never actually close apart from in imaginary fantastical scenarios.
So in all that time you never thought we were onto something? Never thought we were on the cusp of something good? Never believed in the manager / players. You must be very tired.

I find having hope of a brighter future is a key ingredient of finding enjoyment as an Everton fan.

The new stadium gives me belief that we’re building something sustainable and financially viable for the future.

So in all that time you never thought we were onto something? Never thought we were on the cusp of something good? Never believed in the manager / players. You must be very tired.

I find having hope of a brighter future is a key ingredient of finding enjoyment as an Everton fan.

The new stadium gives me belief that we’re building something sustainable and financially viable for the future.
TBF, I'm knackered. Last season genuinely wrecked my head and this season I've tried to distance myself as best I can in between matches. I've believed we were on the cusp of something good many times, every time it fell apart and I felt foolish for believing this time was different.

There's hope and then there's just pure fantasy or delusion. I'm incredibly excited about the new stadium, but will it be exciting if we're playing Championship football or once again fighting for safety? We're a complete mess and don't have much to celebrate. It's not that long ago we were disappointed at missing out on Europe. Your view seems to be very much like Bill's "we've had good times" and Moshiri's latest quote about how everything will be great when we get the new stadium.

Everton remind me of being in a horrible relationship. She cheats, she abuses, she makes promises to change and they very quickly fall apart. Finally, when things start going slightly better, she does something else to ruin it. You stay with her, remembering those great days out together and hoping they return.

You buy a house together and hope this will solve all the issues. Sure, it'll be nicer to be sat in a new house, but she'll still hurt you there too.

TBF, I'm knackered. Last season genuinely wrecked my head and this season I've tried to distance myself as best I can in between matches. I've believed we were on the cusp of something good many times, every time it fell apart and I felt foolish for believing this time was different.

There's hope and then there's just pure fantasy or delusion. I'm incredibly excited about the new stadium, but will it be exciting if we're playing Championship football or once again fighting for safety? We're a complete mess and don't have much to celebrate. It's not that long ago we were disappointed at missing out on Europe. Your view seems to be very much like Bill's "we've had good times" and Moshiri's latest quote about how everything will be great when we get the new stadium.

Everton remind me of being in a horrible relationship. She cheats, she abuses, she makes promises to change and they very quickly fall apart. Finally, when things start going slightly better, she does something else to ruin it. You stay with her, remembering those great days out together and hoping they return.

You buy a house together and hope this will solve all the issues. Sure, it'll be nicer to be sat in a new house, but she'll still hurt you there too.

I think your issue is more with football in general. Literally every other clubs fanbase outside of the elite sides & the plucky smaller new boys doing well for now like Brighton/Brentford feel like you (except Newcastle who are the richest club on the planet now).

If football wasnt so heavily tilted towards the elite via FFP, P&S, VAR, 5 sub rule etc. we would all feel like we have the chance at some stage to compete. As it stands currently no club outside of about 5-6 realistically will ever see their side lift a league title therefore what is even the point to it all outside of the matchday experience ?

EDB1EB19-F130-48E3-A3B6-E44C789DBB9A.jpeg

Not at all really, no. Why would I have thought that, because we were throwing a load of money around that we didn’t have?

If finding enjoyment as an Everton fan is deluding yourself into thinking we’re going places by buying Yannick Bolasie for £30m and Gylfi Sigurdsson for £45m then I guess I’m out. I’m sorry, I can’t live in a delusion, unfortunately I can’t help existing in the real world.

And to confirm yes, I am very very tired of it. Tired of this club, tired of the people who run it, the people that incessantly lie and treat the fans like dirt on the bottom of their shoe. I want them all gone. A stadium we can’t afford does not change that.

Not at all really, no. Why would I have thought that, because we were throwing a load of money around that we didn’t have?

If finding enjoyment as an Everton fan is deluding yourself into thinking we’re going places by buying Yannick Bolasie for £30m and Gylfi Sigurdsson for £45m then I guess I’m out. I’m sorry, I can’t live in a delusion, unfortunately I can’t help existing in the real world.

And to confirm yes, I am very very tired of it. Tired of this club, tired of the people who run it, the people that incessantly lie and treat the fans like dirt on the bottom of their shoe. I want them all gone. A stadium we can’t afford does not change that.
I honestly can't imagine following this club without hope.

It doesn't matter if it's ill-founded hope.

Without hope there is only misery, and why would you stick around with only that for company?

I honestly can't imagine following this club without hope.

It doesn't matter if it's ill-founded hope.

Without hope there is only misery, and why would you stick around with only that for company?

That could explain why I stopped “following” them in 2019. Haven’t actually put a penny into the club since I gave up my season ticket that season. To me yes it does matter if it’s ill-founded hope, I’m a realist by nature and cannot force myself to blindly believe in something if I don’t see logic and reason underpinning that hope. People are different, but that’s just who I am, I accept the romance and fantasy is what keeps some people believing.

That could explain why I stopped “following” them in 2019. Haven’t actually put a penny into the club since I gave up my season ticket that season. To me yes it does matter if it’s ill-founded hope, I’m a realist by nature and cannot force myself to blindly believe in something if I don’t see logic and reason underpinning that hope. People are different, but that’s just who I am, I accept the romance and fantasy is what keeps some people believing.
Fair enough - you've every right to feel how you feel, of course.

But it's a lot of time to invest in something that doesn't bring you joy... it's worth finding what you can where you can!

Fair enough - you've every right to feel how you feel, of course.

But it's a lot of time to invest in something that doesn't bring you joy... it's worth finding what you can where you can!

It would be, if I was investing time into it. Sitting on my phone typing words on a forum while bored at home or in work isn’t what I’d call investing time into it. Going the game or going out of my way to find somewhere to watch a 3pm kickoff on a dodgy box would be what I’d consider investing time. I lost interest in doing any of that a while ago. If the club gives me genuine hope at some point then I may in time float back. But in my opinion that genuine hope is never going to arrive with these crooks running the club.