New Everton Stadium Discussion

And also we haven't paraded a trophy there for a quarter of a century. I've been going since the early 70's and I just associate GP now with failure. It will be a clean break and we hopefully by then will be able to draw a line in the sand between the Kenwright era and the start of a new one at BMD. Delicious to think Kenwright will never set foot in our new gaff.

GP has witnessed more top flight games than any other ground. It is in most ways the greatest manifestation of Evertonian culture/history and tradition and has been our Talisman.

I only associate our failings of recent decades with our charlatan custodian, and partly his complete inability to either invest in the ancestral "stately" (Motson) home and/or deliver anything. Even purposely engineering the collapse of the Kings Dock stadium. Despite everything, GP is still the revered bearpit and has always done its bit.

Seriously and your project management experience for a weekend move of 20 people rules this out 🤷🏻‍♂️ many of the things you have described are very much what needs to happen anyway. Just factor in this happening mid season.
Everton fc current admin can’t make this happen but I’m sure there’s enough talent out there who can. I used to do major projects for a living, trust me 🙏
There is now way we will be attending gp for second half of a season ie worst case when that shiny new stadium full of bars and restaurants is waiting for us all to arrive 🙏🙏

Good stuff mate, its by no means my profession just an add on, so ill bow if you have superior training, experience and skills.

I guess we will wait see, my take would be unlikely.

MACE were involved with Spurs stadium weren't they? In my experience of them, they push their Construction Management model on all their clients making it out to be the perfect form of delivery. They earned a huge sum for their CM role I believe.
Correct. They certainly do a fair bit of CM but also D&B too. You can see why they would prefer CM as they can be an absolute cash cow.
CM’s only manage the contractors who are typically employed by the client, usually building to a client appointed design consultant and all involved are at the whim of client changes or design shortfalls which equate to more time and money paid for by the client.
LOR are basically on a fixed price lump sum for ours (AFAIK), so it’s on them to get it built.
I know there’s been talk of cost increases meaning the often quoted £500m is now £700m, but that extra £200m might be for fit out, public realm improvements, or any number of things not directly involved in the stadium build. Equally there may have been contract clauses for potential materials volatility. Unlike Spurs we won’t be on the hook for quality of work, resourcing delays, design integration issues (big one for Spurs) or any of that jazz.

I don't know why but I expect the north stand is where the noise will come from.

The north stand is slightly non-descript to me. I don't think I've heard anyone mention it as their preference for a seat at BMD.

As regards noise, given the height of the roof above its back row, I think it will have all the acoustic qualities of old fashioned open terraces of yesteryear. The full-height cranked corners might help alleviate that.

I think it's a shame that we haven't preserved a full 2 home end layout and put the away fans in a shallow lower side tier to minimise their effect. Similarly, it's also a shame that North end isn't a full-height two tier stand to better emulate the Gwladys Street, and give it scale parity with the South stand.

Good stuff mate, its by no means my profession just an add on, so ill bow if you have superior training, experience and skills.

I guess we will wait see, my take would be unlikely.
30 years + however regardless the most important thing about pm is communication something that Efc are v poor. It will happen if you have people driving this 🙏it won’t if you defer to the naysayers 🤷🏻‍♂️

Correct. They certainly do a fair bit of CM but also D&B too. You can see why they would prefer CM as they can be an absolute cash cow.
CM’s only manage the contractors who are typically employed by the client, usually building to a client appointed design consultant and all involved are at the whim of client changes or design shortfalls which equate to more time and money paid for by the client.
LOR are basically on a fixed price lump sum for ours (AFAIK), so it’s on them to get it built.
I know there’s been talk of cost increases meaning the often quoted £500m is now £700m, but that extra £200m might be for fit out, public realm improvements, or any number of things not directly involved in the stadium build. Equally there may have been contract clauses for potential materials volatility. Unlike Spurs we won’t be on the hook for quality of work, resourcing delays, design integration issues (big one for Spurs) or any of that jazz.
Pretty sure a good chunk of that additional 200m was explained away as the prep works. (demolition of the old sheds, removal of historical artifacts, dredging, filling and compacting the dock)

I think the first works LOR were on the hook for was making safe the pump house and piling for foundations. Maybe the 500m 'fixed' was from that point to delivery.

I'd love to see a final breakdown once we've moved in, though I doubt it will ever be shared.

I’ve been waiting for this since forever tbh. Early days in the gs without a roof, the park end boarded up also no roof, sat in the Lower bullens, the iconic main stand triple tier 🤷🏻‍♂️ gp has been the worst extended stadium in the history of the league.

Only one of the stands you mentioned has been extended..... The Park End, and even that was the least expensive option. The Gwladys St and Bullens Rd are 1930's and 20's stands that have had the bare minimum done to them. The mainstand was built on the footprint of the 1909 Leitch stand over 50yrs ago.

Because of the foresight of the club's founding fathers and earlier custodians, Goodison comfortably required the least done to it to fully comply with the Taylor report and still yield a 40k capacity. That should've been the saving grace to help deliver Kings Dock or something remarkable at GP and also compete on the pitch. Instead it was the excuse for doing little or nothing by the the most ineffectual/damaging owner in the club's history.

GP has witnessed more top flight games than any other ground. It is in most ways the greatest manifestation of Evertonian culture/history and tradition and has been our Talisman.

I only associate our failings of recent decades with our charlatan custodian, and partly his complete inability to either invest in the ancestral "stately" (Motson) home and/or deliver anything. Even purposely engineering the collapse of the Kings Dock stadium. Despite everything, GP is still the revered bearpit and has always done its bit.
Agree with every word. Still can't wait to leave, though.

The north stand is slightly non-descript to me. I don't think I've heard anyone mention it as their preference for a seat at BMD.

As regards noise, given the height of the roof above its back row, I think it will have all the acoustic qualities of old fashioned open terraces of yesteryear. The full-height cranked corners might help alleviate that.

I think it's a shame that we haven't preserved a full 2 home end layout and put the away fans in a shallow lower side tier to minimise their effect. Similarly, it's also a shame that North end isn't a full-height two tier stand to better emulate the Gwladys Street, and give it scale parity with the South stand.

Funny you mention that as I love the North Stand. In fact if I could get a ticket anywhere, it would be in the North Stand Upper. I just like the glass section and the different look.

I think the North stand holds approx 10,500 (Approx 2,900 of that is taken up by the away fans) but size wise that only makes it around 100 seats smaller than the Upper and Lower Street end but it has a nice big glass panel which will still make it look quite imposing imo

Funny you mention that as I love the North Stand. In fact if I could get a ticket anywhere, it would be in the North Stand Upper. I just like the glass section and the different look.

I think the North stand holds approx 10,500 (Approx 2,900 of that is taken up by the away fans) but size wise that only makes it around 100 seats smaller than the Upper and Lower Street end but it has a nice big glass panel which will still make it look quite imposing imo

It's all slightly subjective of course but for me, the big glass panel just dilutes it. It has the feel of an ad-lib that wouldn't be there if the sewage plant wasn't restricting space.

Yes, it may offer the impression that it is bigger than it is, but that's a bit like "padded shoulders" or "tucking socks down yer kecks". It looks like when they first redeveloped White Hart Lane's North stand over 20yrs ago and only had a lower tier with a large glass wall for a while before they built the upper. Or a tiny bit like the North stand at the Aviva in Dublin (though that is far worse in that respect), which is just a space filler.

Yes, if you include the corners you get close to the Gwladys Street's current capacity, but I think another comparison is it is just 43 rows versus 59 rows (at the Street end).... but with the roof raised far higher above in the North stand's case, reducing any acoustic enhancement. Aesthetically, it does break up the uniform bowl, but I think that'll be to the detriment of overall effect and certainly atmosphere.