New Everton Stadium Discussion

See you in August 2025 sweet BMD x

Seen as you couldn't be bothered to back anything up, your list below with the dates when each stadium was opened.

Stoke – August 1997
Reading – August 1998
Wigan – August 1999
Southampton – July 2001
Leicester – July 2002
Hull – December 2002
Swansea – July 2005
Arsenal –July 2006
Derby –July 2007
Sunderland –July 2007
Cardiff – July 2009
Brighton – May 2011
Rotherham – March 2012
Spurs – April 2019

Brentford – August 2020

Hull, Rotherham, Spurs all opened mid-season. The reason none of the others did is because they were all finished within the close season.

So the evidence indicates that where a stadum is ready mid-season it's been opened and used. When it's been finished in the close season then it's used the following season.

;)

Seen as you couldn't be bothered to back anything up, your list below with the dates when each stadium was opened.

Stoke – August 1997
Reading – August 1998
Wigan – August 1999
Southampton – July 2001
Leicester – July 2002
Hull – December 2002
Swansea – July 2005
Arsenal –July 2006
Derby –July 2007
Sunderland –July 2007
Cardiff – July 2009
Brighton – May 2011
Rotherham – March 2012
Spurs – April 2019

Brentford – August 2020

Hull, Rotherham, Spurs all opened mid-season. The reason none of the others did is because they were all finished within the close season.

So the evidence indicates that where a stadum is ready mid-season it's been opened and used. When it's been finished in the close season then it's used the following season.

;)

The council built Hulls stadium mate. They went into receivership just before it opened.

Wiki says Rotherham played their first game in their ground in July. March was the opening ceremony by the Duke of Kent.

Maybe they won’t, but I don’t think they will move mid season mate for the reasons I said, your getting into contract law etc and it’s a massive roundy object ache.

I can only tell you this, for my sins work asked me a few years ago, to go off and do a project management qualification, mainly so they could justify me implementing Heath care initiatives in my area of practice. You have no idea the absolute scale of detail that goes from moving a bog standard company office of 20 people from old office to a new office over a weekend, that people turn off their computers at five on Friday and switch them on in a new office at 9 on a Monday. It’s massive, in terms of a business case, product breakdown, procurement, stakeholder analysis, quality assurance, risk and developing a critical path for that move - a project of this scale - You would be off your rocker as a project manager to do it mid season, a good project manger would advice against it on a cost risk analysis. Even trying to plan a critical path relying on a third party regulation - is foolish - look at what happened to Spurs. There situation was different to ours, they had debt to be serviced, they were paying rent and had over extended themselves -they didn’t have a home ground to play in as they were developing the WHL site. Levy lost it in the end.

None of us know for certain of course, but id be amazed if they do it mid season - it’s simply not the clever play, for the reasons I mention above and in my previous posts.
I'm not disputing that it won't be easy, that's why every stadium build always aims to complete in the close season. However, it has and can be done despite what Mike says.

It might only happen on a small number of occassions but it happens. Whether we will do it or not will come down to when the stadium is ready in relation to where we are in the season. If it's ready for a game come December 2024 then i'll be quite frankly amazed if we stay at Goodison for over half a season, particularly given the state of our finances.

The only difference with Spurs is they were renting Wembley but they still managed to extend the tenancy for the whole of that season so had no real need to open in April in that sense. That being said, if Bramley Moore is only ready for our first game in April 2025 then i doubt we'd do the same given the limited number of games left.

The council built Hulls stadium mate. They went into receivership just before it opened.

Wiki says Rotherham played their first game in their ground in July. March was the opening ceremony by the Duke of Kent.
It still opened in December and hosted a game mid-season.

Ah ok, must have missed that bit about Rotherham. Still, opened only a few months after. As per my post above i doubt we'd open Bramley Moore if finished around that time.

Point still stands, how many of those clubs finished stadiums mid-season and left them empty? One - Rotherham.

I know it will be. I'll be as sad as anybody. But GP has held us back for 30 years. Imagine where we might be now as a club if we'd have moved to the King's Dock when we should have. Sorry, but sooner the better for me.
I don’t hold much attachment for Goodison anymore but maybe that’s because of my age, I’ve been going since 1999. It’s just a massive hinderance for us nowadays FFP wise. I’m with you on that one.

It still opened in December and hosted a game mid-season.

Ah ok, must have missed that bit about Rotherham. Still, opened only a few months after. As per my post above i doubt we'd open Bramley Moore if finished around that time.

Point still stands, how many of those clubs finished stadiums mid-season and left them empty? One - Rotherham.

Yeah fair play, it did - I suppose if someone is giving you something for free and your in receivership, then you make it happen, it’s that cost/risk analysis I mention.

Not saying we won’t move mid season, just be amazed if we did for the reasons I mention.

The ones that did had a particular set of financial circumstances that made it a necessity - who knows maybe we do to - you wouldn’t out it past us. ;)

Very true September 1, 1997, think they expected to be ready in the close season and open at the start of the season but was delayed, more a delay than an active plan.
To be fair, no-one actively plans to move stadium once the season has started, it is always because of a delay of some sort.

To be fair, no-one actively plans to move stadium once the season has started, it is always because of a delay of some sort.

I think they’ve left the 5 months to allow for regulation, safety cert, test events, fire cert etc there all hoops that need to be jumped through mate - also as a contingency - the stadium will be being project managed by Lang at the moment and based on a risk analysis, I’d say they’ve allowed for a delay. The move I assume will be project managed by us - god help us.

Someone will leave the kettle behind, lol

Stoke – August 1997
Reading – August 1998
Wigan – August 1999
Southampton – July 2001
Leicester – July 2002
Hull – December 2002
Swansea – July 2005
Arsenal –July 2006
Derby –July 2007
Sunderland –July 2007
Cardiff – July 2009
Brighton – May 2011
Rotherham – March 2012
Spurs – April 2019

Brentford – August 2020

;)

Just reading up on the Spurs stadium mate, apparently it was a manure show, it was supposed to open in the first game of the season, but due to delays it didn’t open until April of the same season - it wasn’t planned to open mid season. It was delayed by 8 months.

Yeah fair play, it did - I suppose if someone is giving you something for free and your in receivership, then you make it happen, it’s that cost/risk analysis I mention.

Not saying we won’t move mid season, just be amazed if we did for the reasons I mention.

The ones that did had a particular set of financial circumstances that made it a necessity - who knows maybe we do to - you wouldn’t out it past us. ;)

The whole argument started because Mike asserted that no teams EVER move mid-season which is completely untrue. The pool might be small but that is only because all other stadiums have been completed at the most appropriate time i.e. in the close season.

It is perfectly feasible that we might move mid-season, whether we do nor not will come down to a load of factors and at this point no-one knows. I've got no problem with anyone having a difference of opinion in terms of whether they think we will move or wait if not completed in time for 24/25, as you have done.

However, to suggest that it categorically doesn't happen and won't ever happen is a load of rubbish. It won't ever be a clubs first choice for obvious reasons but circumstances can certainly dictate a clubs choice to open mid-season.

Not sure this news of a mid season move should be a surprise. Everton aren't marketing a single thing (inc season tickets) as a Goodison farewell. It's been hiding in plain sight.