New Everton Stadium Discussion

Yeah, I think that's exactly what's going to happen if we don't find a catchy sponsor.

No one is going to say "are you going to Everton Stadium at the weekend?"
Even if they get a sponsor its still Bramley Moore, for example I never once called St James Park the Sports Direct arena, it was St James, this ground will only ever be Bramley Moore Dock.

Even if they get a sponsor its still Bramley Moore, for example I never once called St James Park the Sports Direct arena, it was St James, this ground will only ever be Bramley Moore Dock.
I think it's all about how easy it is to say.

"The Emirates" is easier to say than "Ashburton Grove," for example.

St James Park is a different matter because they cynically tried to rename an historic ground.

I think it's all about how easy it is to say.

"The Emirates" is easier to say than "Ashburton Grove," for example.

St James Park is a different matter because they cynically tried to rename an historic ground.
Plus "The Emirates" is a decent name & sponsor so it's probably been easier for the fans to accept. "The o2" is another great piece of naming. I hope we get something along those lines of these who also want to pay up for it.

You call St James Park rather than the Sports Direct arena because it was always St James Park. The ground was built on St James Place - that's it's location. And just as no one calls St James Park 'St James Place', no one would have reason for calling the Everton Stadium 'Bramley Moore'. It's just it's location. It'd be like calling Goodison Park 'Goodison Road'. The two are distinct: stadium / location of stadium.

It's abundantly clear now that the club are reinforcing the name 'Everton Stadium'. That's in preparation for the naming rights deal.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what's going to happen if we don't find a catchy sponsor.

No one is going to say "are you going to Everton Stadium at the weekend?"
Who, ever says "are ya going to Goodison Park at the weekend" ??
Are ya going the game / match ....name matters not apart from world wide sponsorship.

You call St James Park rather than the Sports Direct arena because it was always St James Park. The ground was built on St James Place - that's it's location. And just as no one calls St James Park 'St James Place', no one would have reason for calling the Everton Stadium 'Bramley Moore'. It's just it's location. It'd be like calling Goodison Park 'Goodison Road'. The two are distinct: stadium / location of stadium.

It's abundantly clear now that the club are reinforcing the name 'Everton Stadium'. That's in preparation for the naming rights deal.
If anything we should call Goodison ‘Mere Green Field’ if we’re going off location as that was the land we built on.

If anything we should call Goodison ‘Mere Green Field’ if we’re going off location as that was the land we built on.
I think Mere Green was the field over the other side on Walton Lane opposite the park.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 17.38.00.png