New Everton Stadium Discussion

IMG-20220620-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20220620-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20220620-WA0001.jpg

Goodison today. They finished laying the pich this morning apparantly.
My sister just sent the pics. Gonna really miss this.

An Everton source also told LiverpoolWorld that: “The site will not be called the Bramley-Moore Dock Stadium, it is going to be named something else.

“What happened across Liverpool in terms of slavery should not be airbrushed out of the city. It is a huge part of our history and we have to face up to that".
How is Brantley Moore related to slavery?

The last Liverpool slave ship was 1807 and the dock opened in 1848.

Just curious!

An Everton source also told LiverpoolWorld that: “The site will not be called the Bramley-Moore Dock Stadium, it is going to be named something else.

“What happened across Liverpool in terms of slavery should not be airbrushed out of the city. It is a huge part of our history and we have to face up to that".

Does the second part of that quote relate to the name or the apparent onsite memorial talked about in the article? It's not clear. If it's even true at all.

And the first part is almost certainly true just because it'll be named after whoever sponsors it.

I'm guessing after construction the name BMD is likely to disappear, in the same way Ashburton Grove or The Northumberland Development Project did.

How is Brantley Moore related to slavery?

The last Liverpool slave ship was 1807 and the dock opened in 1848.

Just curious!

Talking of which, what about we build a statue to Bill Kenwright and erect it at Bramley-Moore? That way maybe some of us who can't stand the man can topple it and drag it into the Mersey like they did with that one down in Bristol.
It probably wouldn't sink, it would just keep popping up and down like a Mersey version of the Loch Ness monster

Does the second part of that quote relate to the name or the apparent onsite memorial talked about in the article? It's not clear. If it's even true at all.

And the first part is almost certainly true just because it'll be named after whoever sponsors it.

I'm guessing after construction the name BMD is likely to disappear, in the same way Ashburton Grove or The Northumberland Development Project did.

Who cares I think it's a great name with a great history. Just like our club. So if you know your history ???

Talking of which, what about we build a statue to Bill Kenwright and erect it at Bramley-Moore? That way maybe some of us who can't stand the man can topple it and drag it into the Mersey like they did with that one down in Bristol.
Some where for your dog to have a pee.

It's contextualising that dock's connection to slavery to other civic sites with a slave trade legacy.

The dock itself was built in the 1840s, so post slave emancipation. But the name of it is the issue for Everton, as that man, Bramley Moore, not only traded in Brazil in his younger days he also acted for the city's Brazil Association, which traded with that country - a country that only emancipated slaves in the 1880s.

I agree with you too: just as with Ashburton Grove the name Bramley Moore will wither away...even more quickly if the name is not pushed out by the club or fans.