New Everton Stadium Discussion

Why I always thought they should have crammed it up to around the 55k mark.

Wouldn't have made a massive difference in funding or expansion on the current plans but would have likely meant we wouldn't have ever needed to have expanded regardless of the safe standing possibilities.

That's probably why they didn't do it.

No, not designed in.

There is theoretical possible future safe standing at >1:1 that could increase capacity but no such legislation is imminent (the recent trial was mainly at < 1:1). Our shallow tread depths make such a gain at BMD unlikely IMO even if the law changes, though the club claims c. 10k theoretical upside.

The stadium has not been designed to be easily expandable but there is enough room on both East and (to a lesser degree) South to enable a future rebuild but it would be expensive and slow. The West would need the steps to be removed but a rebuild there is also theoretically possible.
The treads aren’t too shallow.

They have been specifically designed to allow a increase in capacity when the legislation changes to greater that 1:1.

The treads aren’t too shallow.

They have been specifically designed to allow a increase in capacity when the legislation changes to greater that 1:1.
Actually, no. The treads incorporated in the design are not sufficient to enable a significant uplift per current best practice guidelines and seat width is also limiting. Of course future legislation might vary from current guidelines so nothing is definitive.

The design compromises made when the roof was lowered, rake altered and capacity reduced (the former due to Heritage concerns) somewhat compromised Meis’ initial design, notably to the South stand.

The extent to which future safe standing may or may not permit a capacity increase is very much TBD. The benefit may we’ll be more likely to be primarily atmospheric if and when introduced.

I should point out I am NOT an expert but this is the long-held view of my leafy North London neighbour, a Spurs supporting sports architect with Populous, who had a detailed look at our approved plans at my request. He thinks the club’s safe standing boost claims are ‘ambitious’!

We're not Southern 'jessies'. We're made of sterner stuff. A bit of wind and rain never bothers us otherwise our forefathers would never have got as far as the Isle of Man never mind conquered the World.

'Which ever land or Continent wherever footballs seen, you'll hear the name of Everton....'!
Stoke away comes to mind!

What’s the general consensus when moving in? Will the south stand / home end be the new street end? I know the south stand is meant to replicate the Park end now with it being a single tier.

Might have been a first for an English league team having a retractable roof. But that wasn't to be. Meis didn't get why it was needed. I thought he
might have understood since they have a lot of them in the US and ironically one of them HE designed. Also it would be quite cold and windy on the waterfront.

We might have a bigger home end but it'll still be only 53,000. All in all I think it's a bit underwhelming. I would have liked about 65,000 and a retractable roof. You can't get everything you want.
It's like buying a new car....you go for all the options paying a big premium, and then realise down the line that you barely used many of the options you got...sensible choice for me

It's like buying a new car....you go for all the options paying a big premium, and then realise down the line that you barely used many of the options you got...sensible choice for me

FWIW, Levy came to the same conclusion for our stadium. On the idea of a retractable roof...

"This wasn’t considered in any detail primarily because the question must always be asked as to why it would be necessary. The number of events for which a retractable roof is needed would not be great enough to offset the cost/make it viable."

Might have been a first for an English league team having a retractable roof. But that wasn't to be. Meis didn't get why it was needed. I thought he
might have understood since they have a lot of them in the US and ironically one of them HE designed. Also it would be quite cold and windy on the waterfront.

We're not Southern 'jessies'. We're made of sterner stuff. A bit of wind and rain never bothers us otherwise our forefathers would never have got as far as the Isle of Man never mind conquered the World.

Following NFL stadiums, the most recent stadiums with full roofs have been built that way because of heat, not rain or cold (LA and LV). New stadiums built or proposed on the East coast often don't have any kind of roof. And they're the ones with a climate most similar to the UK.

If you don't have extreme heat, or extreme cold there's not much point. It's a real luxury and extra expense for stadiums in moderate climates.

Spend the extra £50m on something else (NDombele maybe? .... go on... :oops:)

As the bowl is enclosed with quite a large roof you'd hope it wouldn't be the same as bad as if it were 4 separate stands. Getting there and leaving might be a bit on the harsh side mid-winter though.
You'd hope so. To be fair, I'm not adverse to unpleasant weather conditions (years of working, standing, lying in them), but I was thinking more for my son.

It's another reason why I hope we as fans will be able to visit the new stadium prior to choosing when our ST seats will be. I'd want somewhere okay for him.

Coming out as you say, it may be interesting if the weather is rubbish because it's not a short walk to either town or Sandhills.

What’s the general consensus when moving in? Will the south stand / home end be the new street end? I know the south stand is meant to replicate the Park end now with it being a single tier.

The South end is designed to be our home end, the North East corner houses the away fans. It's not single tier to replicate the look of the park end, more down to acoustics and crowd behaviour that one large tier is better for the atmosphere.

The South end is designed to be our home end, the North East corner houses the away fans. It's not single tier to replicate the look of the park end, more down to acoustics and crowd behaviour that one large tier is better for the atmosphere.
Was under the impression that the stands mirrored Goodison, hence the 2 tier north stand, 3 tier main stand etc.