New Everton Stadium Discussion

I fear it's not that straightforward.

It's a part of Liverpool the major bus companies appear to have no interest in. Are they gonna reroute buses permanently for one, maybe two events per fortnight? And no games for 3 months during the summer?

We need Ten Streets and Liverpool Waters alongside us, if we are to get many permanent routes I feel. But that will come.

It will absolutely come, because the cities main transport hub will no longer be Lime Street etc.

It will absolutely come, because the cities main transport hub will no longer be Lime Street etc.

I presume you're saying a new terminal would bring new lines or greater capacity servicing the Ten Streets area? The cities main transport hub must be central to the city surely, even Liverpool's planners wouldn't make that error.

I presume you're saying a new terminal would bring new lines or greater capacity servicing the Ten Streets area? The cities main transport hub must be central to the city surely, even Liverpool's planners wouldn't make that error.
A new terminal will bring new lines and will serve a number of different transport options centrally, including additional capacity for existing solutions.

Liverpool Waters is essentially causing the city centre to shift northwards.

Tunnelled in, most likely. It would be another terminal station, so only needs to worry about 1 side of it.
Mate, I genuinely can’t see it happening any time soon, e.g. within the next two decades, unless there's a massive shift in central government policy.

There is talk that if HS2 goes straight into the city as part of Phase 2 (unlikely) or Phase 3, there may be the funding for such a new transport hub.

In fact, a city commission was only set up in December to discuss the issue including how the city region could provide long-time funding options.

Sadly, however, the likelihood however is still somewhat unlikely and more so when you consider the seismic shift over the past year in public finances.

Add to that, Network Rail have already recently invested heavily in the approach to Lime Street and wider region to the tune of over a third of a billion pounds.

Lime Street won't be capable to full take HS2 trains, so there'll need to be an option if they run to the city. The big issue however is if they do - see first point,

Mate, I genuinely can’t see it happening any time soon, e.g. within the next two decades, unless there's a massive shift in central government policy.

There is talk that if HS2 goes straight into the city as part of Phase 2 (unlikely) or Phase 3, there may be the funding for such a new transport hub.

In fact, a city commission was only set up in December to discuss the issue including how the city region could provide long-time funding options.

Sadly, however, the likelihood however is still somewhat unlikely and more so when you consider the seismic shift over the past year in public finances.

Add to that, Network Rail have already recently invested heavily in the approach to Lime Street and wider region to the tune of over a third of a billion pounds.

Lime Street won't be capable to full take HS2 trains, so there'll need to be an option if they run to the city. The big issue however is if they do - see first point,

The station commission has been running since 2017, with DBB as chair.

I agree it won't be any time soon, and I have said in previous posts that it is one for the future. I dint see it as a 20 year run, but nearer to 10, that's purely a gut feeling. There is already plenty of work happening with NPR, HS2/3 or whatever with the Transpennine route upgrade.

Your right in that Lime Street cannot handle the train sizes that are planned, so a new terminal will be built, and one that serves the financial centre of Liverpool to enable cross country trading. Lime Street will become more of a local hub, with a new station being our connection further beyond LCR. Clear routes to connect both, better cycle infrastructure, escooters if the trials are successful (they will be) Taxi hub, big turnaround centre for buses and Merseyrail connections.

The station commission has been running since 2017, with DBB as chair.

I agree it won't be any time soon, and I have said in previous posts that it is one for the future. I dint see it as a 20 year run, but nearer to 10, that's purely a gut feeling. There is already plenty of work happening with NPR, HS2/3 or whatever with the Transpennine route upgrade.

Your right in that Lime Street cannot handle the train sizes that are planned, so a new terminal will be built, and one that serves the financial centre of Liverpool to enable cross country trading. Lime Street will become more of a local hub, with a new station being our connection further beyond LCR. Clear routes to connect both, better cycle infrastructure, escooters if the trials are successful (they will be) Taxi hub, big turnaround centre for buses and Merseyrail connections.
It was talked about a few years ago as part of the 2017 strategic transport review, however the commission was formed in 2019 and began its work in 2020.

In terms of a new terminus, the name that keeps getting talked about within the senior levels of the rail industry is Paddington - not an overly ambitious one.

You have the OMC and CDB in place already and the Victoria branch is nominally in place.

Last edited:

When is the proverbial shovel going in to the ground? Any idea? Haven't been in here in a couple weeks and reckon would take me ages to go through everything.
I thought I read within a month of the Government giving it the go ahead. Can’t remember where I read it or if I dreamt it but I hope this helps.

I understood @peteblue will be running those services.

Superb idea. Just have to watch out for brick throwing kopites.
If Pete’s in charge of The beer bike then we’re in trouble. Weaving all over the road, heading in completely the wrong direction. I can picture it now, 3PM Saturday kick off and Petes beer bike complete with drunken passengers is on Otterspool promenade all singing “here we go, here we go, here we go”.