New Everton Stadium Discussion

Love the way you say 'good old Bank Hall '.
Having nothing better to do I checked the current departures from Sandhills. The station already handles services to and from Southport ,Ormskirk and Kirkby that's 9 trains an hour in each direction ,one every 6/7 minutes. It doesn't leave much scope for adding extra trains on matchdays .

Depends on what's on offer. If you have a GA ticket there looks to only be the concourse which will obviously be busy as people leave.

That will take seconds (maybe minutes) in a more modern ground, they are so well laid out. Will free up space very quickly if there is a market for "staying in" after games. spurs had done this well pre covid from what I believe

Is it just me, or are you just not acknowledging the city centre stations and the pull that travelling via the city centre will have for many, many fans?

I'll repeat. Sandhills is the same distance to BMD as Goodison is to Kirkdale. You know what else are similar distances? Goodison to Sandhills and BMD to Old Hall Street.

We're effectively going from having Bank Hall, Kirkdale and Sandhills as the stations that get used, to it being Sandhills, James Street and Old Hall Street/Moorfields.

Good old Bank Hall is also a viable option, and will be my station of choice for the journey to the ground. I'll head into town afterwards.

You say "Yes.... in terms of rail it's approximately 30% better than Goodison for direct services and capacity at Kirkdale"

Is Old Hall Street not 100% better then?

Again, I don't think you're taking into account the pull of the city centre and the knock-on effect it has upon what mode of transport people use. I know quite a few people who only use public transport to go to town.

I reckon the pull of the city centre will see more of our fans using public transport.

You know what else town has? A good bus station.

No, ofcourse i am taking them into account, but think that the distance from town is slightly prohibitive in terms of relative convenience, and ultimately will require a dedicated transit system as part of a proper strategy for moving those numbers of people through the limited number of routes to/from the site, or the site might fail the club's 60:40 threshold, with ensuing gridlock. A new transit system will never be prompted by a 20-30 event football ground alone, but if kick-started there is at least the added incentive of the other developments in Liverpool waters requiring it's own system or at least an additional station.

As you say, those stations mentioned are a similar distance from GP, and yet only a very small proportion of our matchgoers currently use the train.
Therefore, I think the relatively poor coverage of the northern line on the Liverpool side will dictate how useful that system is, and that extending existing bus services via town may well provide the bulk of the passengers to and from the ground.

Everton Shareholders Association held their monthly meetings in the Bramley moore pub for quite a while only a few yrs ago. I've done the walk from town many times for those meetings, from both Lime St and Liverpool 1 bus station. Pleasant enough on a nice day, but perhaps further than some people think, with Lime St literally almost as close to GP as it is to BMD, and the bus station probably 1.5 miles or more.

Of course the proximity to town is key. However, how this is exploited with effective links to those transport hubs is all important.

That will take seconds (maybe minutes) in a more modern ground, they are so well laid out. Will free up space very quickly if there is a market for "staying in" after games. spurs had done this well pre covid from what I believe

I'll wait to see the plans. A cold concourse afterwards isn't my most favourable choice or it could be there's somewhere decent to go. I'm not presuming one way or the other at the minute.

I would say a good percentage of our match day support comes from the Western part of the North-End. While there might be little difference in walking from Kirkdale to GP and Sandhills to BMD remember that Sandhills is a station that serves an extra 13 stations towards Southport than Kirkdale. You can also get from the the stations in the South of the city direct without needing to change in town for the Ormskirk/Kirkby lines.
Sandhills is simply the most travelled through station outside of the 4 city centre ones.

BMD is also half the walking distance to town and James Street/Lime Street for anyone coming from Wirral or City line who wants to walk. And a much more pleasent walk along the waterfront than Scotty Road or Everton Valley.

I would also think owing to the Ten Streets project more than the ground there would surley be a station inbetween Sandhills and Moorefields eventually? Ten Street would be a huge development and increase of population plus Vauxhall existing population nearby.
Does anyone know what the empty site off Great Howard Street is (between Sherwood and the Leeds Canal). A station could easily go there.

Does anyone know what the empty site off Great Howard Street is (between Sherwood and the Leeds Canal). A station could easily go there.
That would be absolutely perfect. I'm trying to remember from the planning docs if that was one of the spaces earmarked for coach parking.

(By chance, if you look on Google Earth there is a train exactly at that point on the track)

Screenshot_20210409_094853.jpg
Screenshot_20210409_094917_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

No, ofcourse i am taking them into account, but think that the distance from town is slightly prohibitive in terms of relative convenience, and ultimately will require a dedicated transit system as part of a proper strategy for moving those numbers of people through the limited number of routes to/from the site, or the site might fail the club's 60:40 threshold, with ensuing gridlock. A new transit system will never be prompted by a 20-30 event football ground alone, but if kick-started there is at least the added incentive of the other developments in Liverpool waters requiring it's own system or at least an additional station.

As you say, those stations mentioned are a similar distance from GP, and yet only a very small proportion of our matchgoers currently use the train.
Therefore, I think the relatively poor coverage of the northern line on the Liverpool side will dictate how useful that system is, and that extending existing bus services via town may well provide the bulk of the passengers to and from the ground.

Everton Shareholders Association held their monthly meetings in the Bramley moore pub for quite a while only a few yrs ago. I've done the walk from town many times for those meetings, from both Lime St and Liverpool 1 bus station. Pleasant enough on a nice day, but perhaps further than some people think, with Lime St literally almost as close to GP as it is to BMD, and the bus station probably 1.5 miles or more.

Of course the proximity to town is key. However, how this is exploited with effective links to those transport hubs is all important.

Absolutely. Buses will be the key. My point all along has been that we will be much better served by rail than we currently are.

The buses are a whole different matter though. As I've already stated, that part of Liverpool doesn't really get touched by current bus routes.

Surely there will be pressure on Arriva and Stagecoach to either create new routes or reroute existing services? Especially once Ten Streets and Liverpool Waters begin to progress.

Any reroutes will be tricky though. They would potentially take services away from Scotty, Vauxhall, Great Homer St/Anne Street and possibly even County Rd, so I really feel like a new route may have to be created.

I doubt the soccerbus will continue to operate from Sandhills, so this needs to be moved to one of the town stations, imo, or one or more of the bus stations/interchanges. Several would be ideal.

Last edited:

I hope they have contactless-only payment in the ground and the ale is filled up via those posh from-below pumps like Spurs have. Not that I'll be there to benefit from it cos I haven't been in years, but for the actual fans.

Also @Tom Hughes I believe the new trains we're supposedly getting will hold 50% more passengers.

We have the trains, but I know from family members who work for Merseyrail, that there was a massive balls up, and these trains are currently not compatible with many or all of the stations on the network, despite extensive work having been done to many stations - in advance of their arrival - to accommodate them.

I can't remember the exact details of why they can't be used at our stations, but suffice to say, it was a massive balls up, that's surprisingly been swept under the rug somewhat.

When will this be sorted? I don't know, it's all gone very quiet, but you'd hope it will be sorted at some point

This is the latest report of something that started in 2017. There is little coincidence of DBB having a significant leadership role. This will solve many of the issues, being placed within 0.6 mile from the ground.

This is the latest report of something that started in 2017. There is little coincidence of DBB having a significant leadership role. This will solve many of the issues, being placed within 0.6 mile from the ground.

Blimey.

That would be great.

:eek:

Awesome. I've just power read that.

0.6 miles from the ground? Where's earmarked Jacko?