New Everton Stadium Discussion

Conversations about BMD were happening long before the chance of the CWG arriving in Liverpool. There was some opportunism from LCC with regards to our stadium, but at no point was there any reliance on the CWG for the stadium, nor was there a risk that the stadium design would be altered to accommodate it.

It was a total red herring wasnt it? I remember at the time, Durban (?) hadnt even had them taken off them then.

It was a total red herring wasnt it? I remember at the time, Durban (?) hadnt even had them taken off them then.

The Durban thing was a complete red herring. LCC and LCR wanted to bid for it anyway, regardless of the Durban financial situation, just for a later year, Durban just pushed it forward and they used the potential of a new stadium within their bid. Some people just have very little idea as to how long it takes to actually get a project like this off the ground. For projects of this size, it tends to sit as an idea for an age. I've worked on projects, and still do, that are in idea stage for 10 years prior to anything of note. This wasn't that long, but I'm not convinced Moshiri bought Everton cause we had Tony Hibbert at right back. He knew what could be built. The Stonecross thing was a lever on which to pressurise Peel L&P, the City council already had a verbal agreement with a purchaser for the land (who have incidentally since pulled out).

The Durban thing was a complete red herring. LCC and LCR wanted to bid for it anyway, regardless of the Durban financial situation, just for a later year, Durban just pushed it forward and they used the potential of a new stadium within their bid. Some people just have very little idea as to how long it takes to actually get a project like this off the ground. For projects of this size, it tends to sit as an idea for an age. I've worked on projects, and still do, that are in idea stage for 10 years prior to anything of note. This wasn't that long, but I'm not convinced Moshiri bought Everton cause we had Tony Hibbert at right back. He knew what could be built. The Stonecross thing was a lever on which to pressurise Peel L&P, the City council already had a verbal agreement with a purchaser for the land (who have incidentally since pulled out).

Indeed. The whole real time line should be traced back to Ussie losing the battle at Arsenal. He didnt release his mate from that share holding for funsies.

Like you say, pretty much everything else since then has been to get to BMD. Them Yanks? Eyewash. WHP? Eyewash.

This simply isn't true. The North South orientation is nothing to do with how well the grass grows, it is all about broadcast and premium seating, keeping the sun out of the eyes of the highest payers and direct sunlight on the camera lens.

Conversations about BMD were happening long before the chance of the CWG arriving in Liverpool. There was some opportunism from LCC with regards to our stadium, but at no point was there any reliance on the CWG for the stadium, nor was there a risk that the stadium design would be altered to accommodate it.
As I said there are several stadia in a more east-west orientation. Wembley and Old Trafford to name just 2. The range of KO times nowadays and prospect of new technologies, such as transluscent panels, closing roof or whatever, make it all less onerous.... further proven by the fact the larger format was east-west.
Conversations yes, but following the CWG bid failure (which incidentally wasn't originally for the next games but the following ones), and despite the consultation where 60k was the favoured capacity, the 60k option was dropped. A former colleague of my did structural assessments for both options and the smaller one became the focus after the failed bid...