New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really easy.

I said;

I think we need someone who'd be absolutely ecstatic to join and in doing so, bring energy and commitment. Someone who the fans can relate to.

But then I also think we need someone with credentials - someone who has won titles to give us some belief and hope he has it in him.

The two almost cancel each other out, but we can't sacrifice point 1 for point 2.

You told me the two aren't mutually exclusive.

You told me Galtier is both.

In my view, he's not.

Galtier doesn't have the credentials in the game to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

I hadn't heard of him until he was linked with Everton.

Fans wont care one jot about him winning Ligue 1 when the going gets tough, it's not the level of credentials I was referring to. There's loads of one off league winners we could get from eredivisie, ligue 1 etc.

To give an example, If you are impressed with what Galtier has done at Lille - I have a friend who used to work for Lille who used to tell me about Rudi Garcia. He won the league title there too, I think the double. I won't blag I know an awful lot about him or Lille, but I do know when he done it it was the first time in a very long time. He's around the same age too - and worked for a few other top clubs since.
So who would you choose to answer your conundrum amigo?

He has totally rebuilt the career of Renato Sanches as well as making a 60 year old Jose Fonte a rock at the back and a 35 year old Burak Yilmaz into a top goalscorer in his first season there. Also has brought through some younger lads like Maignan, Celik and David who look like they are ready for bigger things.

He has really good credentials without the winning of the league, it's just people don't realize it because nobody cares about France.

I've no opinion either way on him, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the French league. 10 years ago Lille won the double but Rudi Garcia's career has stalled since. It's also a very slow league, so it might suit the likes of Fonte, Renato and Yilmaz.

While they did very well, they won the league because PSG lost 8 games and had a nightmare start which opened it up to someone else for a change.

His work at Lille was fantastic. Took over when they had finished 17th the season before, and got them 4th, 2nd and 1st in 3 years. All while selling lots of big name players and replacing them with younger guys.

I think he ticks most boxes.
Even whilst understanding that the standard is nowhere near the prem in most of the league, this isn’t like Potter jumping the divisions in Sweden, this is taking a relegation candidate in a good league (maybe fourth or fifth best in Europe) to winning a title over a stacked PSG squad with some of the best players in the world!
He’s the choice for me.

He’s not a winner though is he? When was the last time he actually won anything?
He’s awful and out of date.
Well I will argue he's won a fair bit in his time so yeah he's a winner in my view. That's like saying we are a small club because when did we last win anything?

I know you're not a big fan, but Brands clearly likes him, and whatever we think of the other guys on the board he is very much the football expert. If Brands feels he can work with someone and they can fit what he is trying to do, that is a big step forward for me. Most of the names on his list, Martinez, Galtier, Ten Haag, Rangnick, Potter etc all seem quite consistent in the type of manager they are.
Roberto wont come back here. No chance.

I dont blame him either.

Well I will argue he's won a fair bit in his time so yeah he's a winner in my view. That's like saying we are a small club because when did we last win anything?
The title of the thread is new manager, nothing to do with club size.
Although it could be alleged that we are still big in some peoples eyes as fans from other clubs still come on here mixing it up. If we weren’t why would they bother?

Maybe because he's made it clear he only wants to be here. Everything is guesswork,have other clubs approached him? Did Ancelotti tell him he was grooming him to take over? What's our transfer budget this Summer? What does Brands have responsibility for?...it's a forum we are all guessing about everything.
He's an employee. He doesn't get to make that decision. Well, he shouldn't but apparently does.

It will be utterly appalling if / when the new manager keeps him on. A disgrace. Again.

I've no opinion either way on him, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the French league. 10 years ago Lille won the double but Rudi Garcia's career has stalled since. It's also a very slow league, so it might suit the likes of Fonte, Renato and Yilmaz.

While they did very well, they won the league because PSG lost 8 games and had a nightmare start which opened it up to someone else for a change.

I know but you can only go off where he has managed rather than where he hasn't.

Getting Lille even near the title is an achievement from where he picked up from. Did a tremendous job at Saint Etienne too.

Nobody is a guarentee anyway, we had one of the best managers ever last season and were utterly turgid.

Status
Not open for further replies.