New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but do you honestly think that Benitez isn't going to play that exact same way when we go to Anfield this season?

Will it be "small club tactics" when he does it, or is it only when he's managing Liverpool that Everton doing that is small time?

What annoys me is that he can't seem to just hold his hands up and admit that he had sand up his anus because we went to their gaff and shut them out and he made a snidey comment to get all the reds back onside because they were annoyed they didn't beat us. It really isn't difficult for him to just apologise for that, and when he does the matter is pretty much closed

It's a super easy thing he can do to smooth things over but he seems too proud to do it
I totally agree. They were p...d we held them (0-0?) and he had to answer to his audience. Why would we even bother to listen to anything a Liverpool manager had to say? Of course it was sour grapes and maybe it was a little inelegant in content but I defy anyone to speak without any perceived slight in a foreign language. No matter how familiar one becomes in (say) Spanish, the nuance is never quite picked up.

Not sure if you're being serious or simply trying to wind people up?

His successes in Spain and with the RS were over a decade ago. Most people agree that the game has changed considerably in the intervening time. Post his time across the park he's done nothing to deserve being our manager.

Our reference to our club as the people's club is a positive statement putting us at one with the city and its population. For example "man of the people" is a compliment.

I don't care of a Spanish interpretation of the term "small club". Benitez was sufficiently versed in English to know its connotations. Irrespective of that I hated every one of his sneering and condescending references to us. Of all the RS managers he was the worst.

For my age I only remember Dalglish (respect as a player, respectful rivalry as a manager), Souness (would be same as Benitez - arrogant knob), Evans (didn't mind the dozy lad), Houillier (same), Rodgers (lacked maturity, ambitious wannabe).
The use of "the people's club,,", by your description is as derogatory to fans who support Liverpool football club as Benitez comment was to us. Pot calling kettle springs to mind

He cant do that. He's already stated he misspoke and he meant another thing.

Of course he can

Just say "I've thought about it since then, and on reflection I was wrong"

Again, the explanation is easy. He was annoyed he couldn't beat us and made a comment in anger

Fine. What manager hasn't done that at some point?

Just apologise, get it out of the way and if any supporters are still salty about it after that then it's on them and not him

Benitez getting ready to greet the world as Everton manager.

bgd2dT.gif

Possibly, it could go either way.

Who knows.....

nobody does but if you think he’ll get a standing ovation if we’ve got 3 points by the end of September then I’ll give you any odds you like .

The bloke is starting on 3 loses , people say fans are fickle if we win 5 they’ll be happy but if we lose the next 3 we’re almost back where we started . any other manager the pressure of not beating Southampton would be a 2 he’ll be 8 or 9 out of 10.

I care. It's not the main reason I didn't want him here, but it's an issue. Football is tribal, it's basically a substitute for war. People are very parochial and partisan about football, they always have been and always will be. You can argue over whether that's how people should feel and whether it's healthy and all that, but it won't change the fact that that's how it is. Ignoring it, or pretending that everyone sees football matters rationally, is pointless. The manager of a football club is the rallying point for the followers of that club, you should believe in them and feel that they're one of you. You should want to go into battle with them, be proud of them, feel that they have your best interests at heart. When the manager of your club that you sing about being 'the greatest team the world has ever seen' has publicly called you a small club, and has a clear bond (not just previous relationship but ongoing love-in) with your biggest rivals, then it's difficult to feel that way. For that reason, the small club comment is an issue for me. Not arsed whether people say get over it or whatever, that isn't how it works.

He didn't really say Everton were a small club, he said they played like one.

wouldnt surpise me. Not sure if he has a fixed assistant whom he takes everywhere. If not it would make sense to have Dunc and Bainesy as assistants.
I could see the sense in promoting someone untouched as a failure at assistant manager level.

Of course he can

Just say "I've thought about it since then, and on reflection I was wrong"

Again, the explanation is easy. He was annoyed he couldn't beat us and made a comment in anger

Fine. What manager hasn't done that at some point?

Just apologise, get it out of the way and if any supporters are still salty about it after that then it's on them and not him
No way he'd do a u-turn on his first explanation of 'small club'. That would be even worse than saying it first time.

He has his 'justification' and he'll stick to it.

I totally agree. They were p...d we held them (0-0?) and he had to answer to his audience. Why would we even bother to listen to anything a Liverpool manager had to say? Of course it was sour grapes and maybe it was a little inelegant in content but I defy anyone to speak without any perceived slight in a foreign language. No matter how familiar one becomes in (say) Spanish, the nuance is never quite picked up.

Like I've previously said, I'm not even that bothered by the comments themselves

At the time I thought "Okay, he's rattled because they didn't have an answer for us and Stubbs (I think it was him, it's been a while) had a cracking performance, so he's trying to get the reds back onside with a cheeky dig at Everton"

In a world where he never manages Everton it doesn't even need addressing. Liverpool manager has a sly dig at Everton; in other news, water is wet

However, he is managing Everton now and this is a super-easy way for him to show some good faith and try to get people on board

The only reason he won't is because he's too prideful, and that's a big neon warning sign right out the gate when it comes to any potential relationship he'll have with the fan base

I'm on a few What's app groups with probably 100+ Everton fans who go the game mainly season ticket holders that are mates as well.
In work there's at least 30 season ticket holders and occasional fans who attend .
3 neighbours in my street have got season tickets.
My postman and his sons, the postman who covers for him when he's off all have season tickets.
A few dozen or so of the lads I drink with in various pubs who also attend all the away games like myself and are great pragmatic fellas, all season ticket holders.
The lads who I've became mates with because we sit near each other at Goodison and being blues you can't help just talking and becoming friends following this shower.
All my family who are blue and I'd guess there's probably 30 match going amongst them, at Wembley in 66 my mum, dad, granddad great uncles, a couple of my aunties and uncles bar one in the army and one on a ship attended.
My mum dad grandad and great uncles are well gone, but I'd echo the sentiment that not one person in the above list wants this appointment to happen, not one solitary soul has suggested it may be a great move. People just suggesting it's social media that are objecting to Rafael not the 'real fanbase' is utter bolloxs .
How is everyone you know being absolutely furious at this not a pointer to a how the wider fanbase feel.
This is a sorry and pathetic go f u to every single blue that sets foot in Goodison and right now I'd rather swerve Bramley Moore stay on county rd and have at least some of semblance of what being an blue is all about. This is just rich fools playing with our pride and heritage as a vanity project and a means to more riches...

Nil satis nisi optimum.... yeah, do one Moshiri and all you creepy lurkers that are paid by the club to infiltrate these boards and promote 'dear leaders' vision, it's Kafkaesque in here sometimes...
Bang on, same here with all the match going blues I know. This will be a defining moment for Moshiri and his ownership, he just doesn’t realise it yet.

By not supporting him you will not be supporting your football club

If the talksport story us true Benitez I think it is disgraceful and morso massively worrying that the board of directors are prepared to listen to the moans of keyboard warriors. If Benutez was the choice if the board he should have been appointed .If results were to show that choice was a bad one then by all means have second thoughts but only make decisions on results.not the moans of whinging so called sipporters.

Contributors to this forum are a minority of the people who support Everton football club so wangle it round however you want but the dissenters are very much in the minority

What a stupid comment..maybe you can explain the basis for that remark about an Evertonian who started supporting the club at nine years of age going to the reserve games at Goodison courtesy of a family friends season ticket and having the "great" Oscar Hold as my first idol before one of the greatest centre forwards this club has produced Dave Hickson arrived on the season. People like you are sadly so entrenched in stupidity that you can't see the wood for the trees.

"A lot of" is not a majority and certainly nowhere near the 51% of match goers needed to support your claim

The reaction you are claiming comes from a minority of Everton Football Club supporters because it is based on the reaction of a number of keyboard warriors not the unconfirmed views of regular match goers.

Amazing how almost every post of yours since you joined the forum at the start of this month is pro benitez.

@Theoneandonly has a twin.

At least they dont belittle other posters views and continuously post condescending remarks.

You are massively out of touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.