New captain please Marco !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maltese_Falcon

Player Valuation: £15m
Irrespective on whether Jags is still here or not he should not be captain anymore , even in his prime he was not captain material , never vocal enough , never in the refs face , doesnt have that drive and leadership to rally his teammates , there is only one man fit for the job , Coleman ...

Irrespective on whether Jags is still here or not he should not be captain anymore , even in his prime he was not captain material , never vocal enough , never in the refs face , doesnt have that drive and leadership to rally his teammates , there is only one man fit for the job , Coleman ...

..i’m old but I don’t remember Labone or Radcliffe being particularly vocal or in the referees face. The timing is probably right to appoint a new skipper but Jagielka has been a fine professional and from what I hear has the total respect of teammates and is highly thought of throughout the game.

I don't think Captain is a huge part of the game anymore compared to when like the early 2000s with Keane/Viera etc but Coleman should really have it, I always prefer a center back or midfielder to have it but that's just personal preference.

I refuse to jump on the 'hate Jags' bandwagon. He certainly no longer deserves to be a starter and I agree that the time is right (overdue even) to replace him as captain. But that is not Jags fault. It is the fault of previous failings in management who have not replaced him with anyone better.

To be fair to Jags, he has never hidden, never complained, never pretended to be injured, always made himself available when called upon and always given his best.

That he is getting on a bit and his best is no longer good enough to start is not his fault. It is a management failing that Jags still has to start and Jags deserves better than insults from us. He has been fantastic for us for many years and still gives everything in every game he is selected for.

Should have been removed as captain year's ago. Spineless coward
Jagielka has been a good player and an exceptional servant of our football club. He has always treated our club and fans with respect and deserves to be called an Evertonian.
I find it disappointing when he is unnecessarily insulted and disrespected on what is an Everton forum by a fellow Evertonian.
Sad.

I agree it should be Coleman.

Jagielka has never been captain material I remember a game against Chelsea can't remember who but Diego Costa was trying to intimidate one of our lads and Jagielka completely folded, Seamus came over and done what Jagielka should of been doing

..i’m old but I don’t remember Labone or Radcliffe being particularly vocal or in the referees face. The timing is probably right to appoint a new skipper but Jagielka has been a fine professional and from what I hear has the total respect of teammates and is highly thought of throughout the game.

It's not about getting in the ref's face. Ratcliffe had a dominant air about him on the pitch. An authority, borne of an aggressive style, a hard tackler that reminded the opposition they were in a game. For the fans all this translates to obvious passion & energy. Natural captain material.

Jagielka, a good consistent team player and model pro, has never really had those attributes.

Seamus does, if not as hard-tackling as Ratcliffe (partly because it's not quite allowed anymore) he's got that energy & passion, he doesn't shy away from a confrontation. I bet in a poll he'd get at least 90% of the vote to be our perma captain.

I think it will be Coleman when he is on the pitch and Jags isn't.
Phil Jagielka has been a great servant of our club. He has given us a decade's service, suffered bad injuries in that time, I think he has always acquitted himself well as an ambassador for the club.. I think he is a great role model for young professionals.

Time waits for no man and it is catching up with Phil, he is almost definitely heading into his last year at our club.
In my opinion it would be disrespectful to take the captaincy from him, he won't play every game and Seamus can be captain when Jags isn't playing and take over captaincy proper next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.