New book "The prince of centre halves" Tommy TG Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old fella who lived next door to my mum was a fanatical blue,used to travel up from where ever he was stationed when in the army to watch them play,he idolised T G more than Dean,swore he was the greatest player ever

Old fella who lived next door to my mum was a fanatical blue,used to travel up from where ever he was stationed when in the army to watch them play,he idolised T G more than Dean,swore he was the greatest player ever
Richo's. Dad who we used go the game with said the same best player he had ever seen , big shout when you think of the players he must have seen through the years.

Richo's. Dad who we used go the game with said the same best player he had ever seen , big shout when you think of the players he must have seen through the years.
Thats what I always thought edge these fellas had seen the greatest to wear the blue,but held up TG as the best

Yet another Everton great who lost the bulk of his career serving his country during WW2 (along with joe Mercer and Tomjy Lawton) my grandad told me he was very similar in style to Bekenbuer, except Jones could snap you in half if required! Very calm in posession, he would have been the first ever English player in Italy if something hadnt gone south during the transfer to Roma! Thats how good he was as a defender, the Italiand wanted him! :)

Why joey, what went on?
A club director falsely accused Jones of feigning injury and his appearances thereafter were sporadic. Jones's injury was actually severe enough to put him in hospital for four months. Once the relations with the manager Theo Kelly became so bad that he was even not picked for the reserve team, and played secretly for Hawarden Grammar Old Boys.[1] After Kelly stopped being manager, Jones became club captain in 1949. Finally, in January 1950, Everton agreed to his release. He made 178 appearances for Everton, scoring five goals.

Jones won 17 caps for Wales and eleven caps in wartime internationals.

Also the blues messed up his transfer in confusion over currency values abroad - Dixie Dean commented the most best all round player he had ever seen for a defender ahead of his time - he dribbled the ball out of defence and had a powerhouse shot with either foot - our Goalkeeper used to go mad as he dribbled past opposition attackers in the box !
Just been to a car boot picked up another 3 Everton books;)
Traffic was packed just got in!

Status
Not open for further replies.