Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, :red:

Now, football - they were friends, according to his book.

I highly recommend it.
I read his book when it first came out,and damned good read,I like the bit where he explains the reason he HAD to wear a red jersey in the cup winners cup final

Speaking as a football fan in general, and as someone who has seen both Southall and the Dane in their primes, they were two excellent keepers. Both made the odd error, as all do, but they were excellent and to suggest Schmeicel is not that good does strike me as a little "out there".

Each to their own, like.

EDIT - actually, not sure that Nev did ever make an error.
Was going to say that,don't recall him making any mistakes..........blue tinted glasses are great aren't they

I read his book when it first came out,and damned good read,I like the bit where he explains the reason he HAD to wear a red jersey in the cup winners cup final
Yeah - finally, the reason why he had no choice in the matter - yellow being reserved for international matches, black for refs and that.

We won, most importantly!

I'm sure we could tolerate Tim Howard in our (historic) pink at least.

We had the best keeper in the world in our midst from about 1984-89,yet the best chant we had was "Wales,Wales,number one,Wales,number one"I mean,he didn't have much competition on that score did he?:)

I know Tony Roberts who was welsh no 2 keeper when Nev was no 1.....I used to ask if he was gutted nev was so good and keeping him out, Tony said no, it was a privilege to work so closely with one of the all time greats. I think that sums it up when someone is happy to just learn off you.

Recall running into john alridge in a Dublin nightclub about 10 years ago. Loads of rs going up telling him how great he was. Start giving him loads and telling him he cost Everton the double by injuring big Nev in the Ireland Wales friendly!

I remember playing QPR at home around 1990,must have been grand national day cos I'm sure we kicked off at 11am,anyway winning 1-0 in the last minute we had a young defender maybe making his debut called Mark Wright who gave away a penalty,must have been devastating for him but the big fella saved it,don't know why that sticks out in the memory so much it was a nothing game at the end of a disappointing season,still aspirations of league titles in the days....

I remember playing QPR at home around 1990,must have been grand national day cos I'm sure we kicked off at 11am,anyway winning 1-0 in the last minute we had a young defender maybe making his debut called Mark Wright who gave away a penalty,must have been devastating for him but the big fella saved it,don't know why that sticks out in the memory so much it was a nothing game at the end of a disappointing season,still aspirations of league titles in the days....
Your spot on lad. it was indeed Grand National day and an eleven KO. I think sheedy scored for us also

Status
Not open for further replies.