Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
His injury in '86 Was the reason we lost the league and the FA Cup. Mimms wasn’t the best back up keeper. I am still scarred we didn’t win anything that year.

Apart the relegation battles which surpass anything, they were the two worst things for me. Should have won both. Lost both. Sold Lineker (second worst sale in our history). We won the battle (1987) but lost the war (everything since then).

Apart the relegation battles which surpass anything, they were the two worst things for me. Should have won both. Lost both. Sold Lineker (second worst sale in our history). We won the battle (1987) but lost the war (everything since then).
Yeah it's been pretty mediocre since the 87 title. Yeah we won the FA Cup in 95, as nice as that was it mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. Wimbledon have won the FA Cup. No great shakes. The Lineker sale killed me at the time, bloody El Tel tapping him up on live television.

Big Nev is my cousin, the main reason for my Everton life. We are both from Llandudno and grew up on the Orme, went to the same school etc. His fam still live on my road (at least they did when I was there). I used to try and get hold of his niece from Epping.

Bizzarely, never met him!

One great story was from our primary school. The headmaster read an extract from the school log book, which basically went:

" today the school (Ysgol Yr Wyddfyd) won the county cup, due almost entirely to Neville Southalls exceptional goalkeeping"

Amazing when you consider the whole school only had about 25 pupils!

Met Nev in Llandudno’s Marks & Spencer’s shortly after he’d retired. Honour to have shook his paw.
He s brother works for a coal merchant on Anglesey

Quick quiz macca - when the main site had ‘best 11’ (by position ie mostly) years ago there were was only one player who got in every team. Think Nev missed one. And there were what seemed like hundreds. The winter just flew by reading all of them. Who was it?

Spill the beans @Strikinglyhandsome1 mate!

Bearing in mind no one on here probably saw Dixie Dean actually play, even so, I would guess him, or Alan Ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.