Neville Southall and other goalkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember also we had a glut of them . We had Ruddy and Stirling and some other Young Scottish keeper cant remember the name now. We used to have so many would deflate them and put them in the loft.

Love big Nev, first player I met in the flesh, signed an autograph on the pitch before a game in Dublin, top bloke.

I do be in awe watching some of his stops in the 80's so maybe I didn't get to see him at his pinnacle like a lot of you lucky gits. But I'll always remember how he utterly bossed the cup final in 95. Remember owning that yellow and black keepers Jersey and it about ten times too big for me, Nev himself could have got into it, maybe.

Firstly to set my stall out, I went to my first game when we were title holders and have been lucky enough to see Neville Southall at his world class best. The best goalkeeper in the world and in my opinion, the best goalkeeper there has ever been.

Now as a result, do you think we judge subsequent goalies unfairly as we hold them up to a standard they can never reach, or should we expect them to reach those standards?

Since the great man we’ve only had a couple, literally, who could even lace his boots in Nigel Martyn and Tim Howard. I have left out the current custodian of the #1 shirt purposefully.

I am actually behind Jordan Pickford, he’s a decent young goalie.

My question is, do we hold goalkeepers up to an impossible standard or should we expect them to reach that level?
I want to like Pickford, I think he has a lot of attributes to be a really good goalkeeper, but he makes it really hard at times.

On the broader point, I'm not sure we just hold individual positions to unattainable standards, it's across the entire team.

I don't think we are after perfection, I just expect them to save what you'd expect a goalkeeper to save. We all know they will have a howler at somepoint we just don't expect that to be almost every game. Plus when they have zero command of the 6 yard box and don't come to claim many crosses that doesn't help.

I think we have always had high standards as supporters though and whether that becomes an issue for the player is very possible. I hope Pickford comes good but I'm less hopeful than when he first signed.

Firstly to set my stall out, I went to my first game when we were title holders and have been lucky enough to see Neville Southall at his world class best. The best goalkeeper in the world and in my opinion, the best goalkeeper there has ever been.

Now as a result, do you think we judge subsequent goalies unfairly as we hold them up to a standard they can never reach, or should we expect them to reach those standards?

Since the great man we’ve only had a couple, literally, who could even lace his boots in Nigel Martyn and Tim Howard. I have left out the current custodian of the #1 shirt purposefully.

My question is, do we hold goalkeepers up to an impossible standard or should we expect them to reach that level?
He's a big act to follow...and we get expectation, disappointment, then anger.

I personally think we only see players as black or white with this being a great example, Big Nev was a phenomenal goalie so we must say he’s the best there has ever been. Truth is there has likely been better goalkeepers albeit not that many before and after him.

Lukaku was another, to his fans he was the best striker in the league but to his detractors he was plain crap.

Baines had the best chances created by a defender stats in Europe for a couple of seasons so he instantly had to be the best left back in Europe despite his defensive game being slightly lacking.

Oumar Niasse has to be the worst player in the league and ever to play for the club because he flopped badly and isn’t the most talented player in the league despite other players actually being worse.

Kenwright had to be the worst owner in the league because we didn’t win anything and he didn’t have much cash despite the myriad of clubs that went down or imploded with owners worse than him.

That’s just a long winded way of me saying that as a fanbase we need to be a little more realistic about things, see the grey and not just the black and white and just stop exaggerating everything. Enjoy the good players, lament the bad but accept where the club are now and don’t expect too much but also too little.

Epsen Baardsen was decent !

Status
Not open for further replies.