2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh im not sure how you can disagree...just watching brighton games or even their highlights, the number of attacks they had which ended with Maupay must have been astronomical.

10 goals and assists for a Brighton forward would be pretty low i think considering the amount of chances created for him + the amount of easy passes to team mates inside the box he squandered.

Not having a go but i find it mindblowing that youre not remembering what was pretty clear at the time.

I suppose it depends on how you define decent. He was consistently their top scorer and Brighton were never a team that were focused on one striker getting all the goals (and still aren't tbf), they were focused on scoring rather than playing for individuals to score.

I suppose it depends on how you define decent. He was consistently their top scorer and Brighton were never a team that were focused on one striker getting all the goals (and still aren't tbf), they were focused on scoring rather than playing for individuals to score.

Ferguson (who you mentioned) scored 6 in 10 games worth of mins last season.

Id have expected 3 forward players at brighton to have been hitting 15 goals/assists quite easily with the amount of chances they created.

For Maupay, he got 10goals, 8goals and 8goals. The one thing he stood out for was being 'narky'...not his ability.

The boy Ferguson looks like he'll be one of the next emerging top forwards in the league.

Maupay looks like we made a major mistake and should have let him join Salernitana last jan.

The amount of times we broke in that first half and he was so far behind play. He doesn't want to get into positions to score because he knows his limited ability means he'll miss more than he puts away.

Hasn't shown anything this pre season which makes you think "yeah, deserves a fresh start as he's looking sharp"

He's abysmal. Anyone defending him (not that there are many) has just picked their hill to die on and is ignoring his performances in a blue shirt.

Doesn’t run in behind, isn’t quick, isn’t strong, zero instinct to be in the right place, and can’t finish. Literally all he does is receive the ball to feet and pop it back first time to where it came from.

As far I’m concerned we need to act like we have no strikers, this lad isn’t one and DCL is rarely fit. 2 required.

Ferguson (who you mentioned) scored 6 in 10 games worth of mins last season.

Id have expected 3 forward players at brighton to have been hitting 15 goals/assists quite easily with the amount of chances they created.

For Maupay, he got 10goals, 8goals and 8goals. The one thing he stood out for was being 'narky'...not his ability.

The boy Ferguson looks like he'll be one of the next emerging top forwards in the league.

Maupay looks like we made a major mistake and should have let him join Salernitana last jan.

Which is very good and not decent because he's going to be a much better player than Maupay.

Were Ferguson or Welbeck the top scorers for Brighton last season though? Nope. You'd expect Ferguson to step up and emerge as that because he has more individual quality than Maupay but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they still had a good spread of goals in their side because that's how they play as a club.

I think we most likely signed Maupay as a player to link with DCL rather than be his backup and that's where the problem began because we should have bought a player who was comfortable being both.

I again though won't be surprised if he leaves and joins a team similar to how Brighton set up where a team is set up to score rather than a team set up for a striker to score, if he chips in with similar numbers (8-10 goals).

Rubbish for how we are expecting him to play and I would rather sell and get someone who can play in how we want to but I just think some of the comments here are daft and funnel into silly football rhetoric.

I seem to remember a lot of stats for Brighton at the time he was there where they were miles behind their expected goals / top of chances missed

I’m sure match of the day did some analysis on him missing as well - their conclusion was “at least he doesn’t hide” or something [Poor language removed] like that

If he could somehow score 8 goals a season for Everton then that would be great but I don’t think he’d score 8 goals in a Sunday league

Genuinely up there with the worst footballers I’ve ever seen play for Everton

Which is very good and not decent because he's going to be a much better player than Maupay.

Were Ferguson or Welbeck the top scorers for Brighton last season though? Nope. You'd expect Ferguson to step up and emerge as that because he has more individual quality than Maupay but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they still had a good spread of goals in their side because that's how they play as a club.

I think we most likely signed Maupay as a player to link with DCL rather than be his backup and that's where the problem began because we should have bought a player who was comfortable being both.

I again though won't be surprised if he leaves and joins a team similar to how Brighton set up where a team is set up to score rather than a team set up for a striker to score, if he chips in with similar numbers (8-10 goals).

Rubbish for how we are expecting him to play and I would rather sell and get someone who can play in how we want to but I just think some of the comments here are daft and funnel into silly football rhetoric.

Tbh not really been watching much of Brighton last season. I did see a fair bit under Potter with Maupay because of all the praise he was getting and i found his management story very interesting.

I take your point about signing him to possibly partner DCL. This has been mooted by others.

Brighton may have a good spread of goals...we may as well...but what i know is that Maupay wasnt finishing moves off for them -- neither from watching or seeing stats.

We at least agree he needs to be sold. Dia in a swap makes sense so we can put a dodgy number down as his fee for FFP.

I seem to remember a lot of stats for Brighton at the time he was there where they were miles behind their expected goals / top of chances missed

I’m sure match of the day did some analysis on him missing as well - their conclusion was “at least he doesn’t hide” or something [Poor language removed] like that

If he could somehow score 8 goals a season for Everton then that would be great but I don’t think he’d score 8 goals in a Sunday league

Genuinely up there with the worst footballers I’ve ever seen play for Everton

I remember thinking the same when he was at Brighton...some games id see them draw when he missed a couple of chances or easy assists.

The xg im sure youre correct about as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.