Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gerbs, about that let’s have a little look at your football (soccer) knowledge.

On Mykolenko:

Post in thread 'Vitalii Mykolenko'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/vitalii-mykolenko.114144/post-9323740

Post in thread 'Vitalii Mykolenko'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/vitalii-mykolenko.114144/post-9321169

On wanting to spend £30m on Leon Bailey:

Post in thread 'Everton Summer transfers 2021'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/everton-summer-transfers-2021.111952/post-8920617

On Pickford:

Post in thread 'Jasper Cillessen'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/jasper-cillessen.110963/post-8061062

I’d be a bit more humble if I was you buddy.

Potter is not desperate to keep him, but he is happy enough for him to leave. That says a lot. Maupay is not the best option or even the only option. He's a very average, 26 year old striker. It lacks ambition for the club to sign him, but maybe it shows where we are. That 8-10 goals guaranteed is better than taking a chance.
You keep posting this but don't name our available alternative signings.

I think this is a bad signing. This is a deal that problematically the lacks foresight. What is the viable sell on potential does Maupay have as he enters his prime? On the same note what is the realistic growth plate for him at 26 to drastically improve our side? In both cases the idea we will either make future money from this deal or garner a different player then the one that was at Brighton is just unrealistic.

People can point to the current lack of finishers but that doesn’t in turn justify a signing made on bad pretenses. Or justify any addition. We could and should have done better.

At least we have moved away from making expensive bad signings, to affordable bad signings but that’s a marginal improvement. Maybe Neal transitions to a squad player which is fine for the outlay, but if the club hopes to climb the table in due time they have to look at deals the way Brighton are in this one oppose to the inverse. We need signings primarily based on upside, and for the most part our current business has not realistically led with that agenda.
Love this entire post.

The guy hasn't even been officially announced and yet has been hailed as a 'bad signing' a number of times throughout lol

I think this is a bad signing. This is a deal that problematically the lacks foresight. What is the viable sell on potential does Maupay have as he enters his prime? On the same note what is the realistic growth plate for him at 26 to drastically improve our side? In both cases the idea we will either make future money from this deal or garner a different player then the one that was at Brighton is just unrealistic.

People can point to the current lack of finishers but that doesn’t in turn justify a signing made on bad pretenses. Or justify any addition. We could and should have done better.

At least we have moved away from making expensive bad signings, to affordable bad signings but that’s a marginal improvement. Maybe Neal transitions to a squad player which is fine for the outlay, but if the club hopes to climb the table in due time they have to look at deals the way Brighton are in this one oppose to the inverse. We need signings primarily based on upside, and for the most part our current business has not realistically led with that agenda.
Better to make cheap rubbish signings than expensive ones I guess

Spurs fans could say Everton were happy enough to see Richarlison leave...

Those Spurs fans would be wrong. Very few Everton fans were content to see Richarlison leave, even less happy to see him leave.

You also didn't answer my question.

Anyone I name, there would be a debate over whether he is better than Maupay, whether he would come, whether we could afford him or all of those things. There is value in the market.

There is a profile of player I believe we should be targeting. Maupay is not it. 26 with a "meh" record at Brighton for 3 years. He will score no more than 10 here and that is not going to take us away from the relegation fight.

If all we have is £15m to sign a striker, the position we are most desperate in, and we have spent £50m on McNeill and Onana, that is a crime.

He's better than Rondon

Simple.
You’re better than Rondon and I don’t know what age or size you are.

I’m not excited by this signing but my positive side thinks he could be similar to Jota for them lot across the park, an annoying little tit who scores goals

Those Spurs fans would be wrong. Very few Everton fans were content to see Richarlison leave, even less happy to see him leave.

Anyone I name, there would be a debate over whether he is better than Maupay, whether he would come, whether we could afford him or all of those things. There is value in the market.

There is a profile of player I believe we should be targeting. Maupay is not it. 26 with a "meh" record at Brighton for 3 years. He will score no more than 10 here and that is not going to take us away from the relegation fight.

If all we have is £15m to sign a striker, the position we are most desperate in, and we have spent £50m on McNeill and Onana, that is a crime.
Luke tell us 3 players for that price that would do better mate. He’s laid down a gauntlet, use your scouting skills to slay him and take the crown.

Anyone I name, there would be a debate over whether he is better than Maupay, whether he would come, whether we could afford him or all of those things.

He turned 26 the other week and he's been Brighton's top goalscorer the past 3 seasons. He's available, and for 'cheap' because he's free in 5 months.

Find it bonkers you rubbish 10 goals so readily. If he comes in at £15m, and scores us 10 league goals - he'd be a tremendous signing. That's what Richarlison got last season, the closest to him was Gray and Calvert-Lewin with 5. His goals had a massive difference on Brighton's league position.

As I keep saying, it's easy to sneer. If you can give alternatives then that would strengthen your argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.