2023/24 Nathan Patterson

Wish people would stop looking for the one good thing these players do instead of the nothing they do for 90 minutes just like the one pass Onana made for maupay someone mentioned.
The point I was making is all the players failed to do the basics today to an acceptable level. Usually for someone to score a goal a number of players have to do something “good”, “right”, in a chain of events that leads to a goal. When everyone is struggling to do the basics decently that chain breaks and no goal is scored. I gave the example of the pass from Patterson, that was good, the pass from Onana to Maupay was good but both broke down because the next player in the chain failed. Last week there was a lot of good play that broke down, didn’t result in a goal because of poor finishing. This week, there was very little in terms of “good passages of play” from any number of players. The team could barely string 2 or 3 passes together.

Easy to point the finger at this lad but It's down to the tactics of Dyche. He plays both full backs narrow, that's fine if the winger provides the support but positionally Garner gets sucked in narrow as well, given he's a central midfielder it's what you would expect. That leaves Patterson or any right back exposed, as they've now got too much ground to cover, as they are in the right cb position and they're potentially picking up two players.

The point I was making is all the players failed to do the basics today to an acceptable level. Usually for someone to score a goal a number of players have to do something “good”, “right”, in a chain of events that leads to a goal. When everyone is struggling to do the basics decently that chain breaks and no goal is scored. I gave the example of the pass from Patterson, that was good, the pass from Onana to Maupay was good but both broke down because the next player in the chain failed. Last week there was a lot of good play that broke down, didn’t result in a goal because of poor finishing. This week, there was very little in terms of “good passages of play” from any number of players. The team could barely string 2 or 3 passes together.
Yes totally get that but Patterson is part of the broken chain the whole squad is poor. We deserve more as fans but the board get what they deserve we’re absolutely 💩 all over the pitch, bench and boardroom/staff, total negligence regarding transfers manager appointments relying on usmanov money/sponsorship no clue how to run a football club complete mess but we have a great stadium on the way. Will probably end up renting the stadium especially if we end up relegated, people talking around me last season saying they’re keeping their season ticket because they want a seat in the new ground/ historic last season at goodison it will be historic as we will be relegated. I’d rather we folded as a club than give anymore money to the clowns at the top and I’d hate to see them come out of all this with anything other than massive financial losses to themselves.

Easy to point the finger at this lad but It's down to the tactics of Dyche. He plays both full backs narrow, that's fine if the winger provides the support but positionally Garner gets sucked in narrow as well, given he's a central midfielder it's what you would expect. That leaves Patterson or any right back exposed, as they've now got too much ground to cover, as they are in the right cb position and they're potentially picking up two players.
He’s shown in the past they are narrow on the far side from the ball but are expected to sprint across if the opposition spot and play a very good cross field ball to the winger (which we allow them the opportunities to, as if they don’t play it well, we win the ball and counter).

The problems with this are firstly that our players are never focussed, hyper aggressive and alert enough to do this. But the main issue is that teams just don’t launch 68 yard hopeful balls all over the pitch looking for 50/50s all through the game they play actual 21st century football and tear though or around your compressed confused setup.

Seems strange tactics to me, especially considering there is 5 in midfield, without the ball, you’d think you’d play the midfield narrow, force to opposition out wide, the full back goes out wide and Garner or Iwobi drops inside when necessary.

Think the issue is people know the other players are crap while we have people saying Patterson is fine and has potential one thing is right he has potential because he’s still young but I fear that potential is going to be late due to his lack of first team football. And for a premier league side he is not fine.
There’s people in nearly all the player threads who support those players and find excuses for them though. The poster I was responding to isn’t getting riled up by them. Just about this one player.

I personally thought Nathan Patterson probably played his worse game today. Not sure why he felt the need to drop so deep into our box and leave so much space on the (his) right for the like of Digne to take advantage of when Aston Villa were attacking. Very disappointing.

The pass to Danjuma was excellent and should have really ended in a goal. He needs to be helped out by having someone alongside him at CB who is competent and a RW who tracks back accordingly/a CM who covers when he goes forward. He’s been poor himself but he’s absolutely not been helped out by his peers who are far more experienced than him.

I personally thought Nathan Patterson probably played his worse game today. Not sure why he felt the need to drop so deep into our box and leave so much space on the (his) right for the like of Digne to take advantage of when Aston Villa were attacking. Very disappointing.

Both full-backs did it. Suggests it was the coaches wishes.

Both full-backs did it. Suggests it was the coaches wishes.
I was thinking along the same lines but the idea seemed ridiculous. Hopefully, it is what Sean Dyche has instructed, because that would be an easy fix. Also, I only noticed Nathan Patterson doing it really, which probably means I'm a bigot or something.

I was thinking along the same lines but the idea seemed ridiculous. Hopefully, it is what Sean Dyche has instructed, because that would be an easy fix. Also, I only noticed Nathan Patterson doing it really, which probably means I'm a bigot or something.

You can see here on this analysis of the game how narrow all the back 4 were. With the 2 centre half’s covering Watkins and the full backs trying to cover McGinn and Diaby. There’s a massive gap between Evertons backline and the majority of its midfielders, with just Gana in there on his own and there’s the whole flank down each side open for the Villa full backs to run into.

No pointing fingers. The player is just out of his depth in a season that's fast becoming a joke in itself. Must get him out on loan and a chance to learn some basic football skills and intelligence.

It is easy. He was poor today