2022/23 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes… so why are you so confident he can do a job for the rest of the season if that were to happen? He was our right back last year and we only missed relegation by 1 game. Patterson will be a huge miss don’t give a toss about all these fanatical Irish fans on GOT.
You don't miss relegation by games.

Easy there tossless tiger
Just because people aren't crying into their cups about Patterson being replaced temporarily by a seasoned pro, that always gives his best doesn't mean we don't acknowledge Patterson as a miss. Neither does being from the same country of said seasoned pro make us fanatical for thinking he can do a job. Rein it in a bit

That would make more sense if there weren’t so many ludicrously bias Irish fans on here.

He was never a good defender, no.

He was very good in a man-marking role - as was pointed out- when asked to take on that responsibility. In general play, not great defensively. In his early days, he had a touch of dynamism about himself going forward, too, but technically he was always second rate. He had and has a very good attitude for a player of his status, but he has basically taken his talent to its limit which is to his credit. Right now, and for half a decade now, that level should not and has not been good enough for an ambitious Premier League team.
He's a physical defender. His tackles are good. I remember when he broke into the team under Moyes and he near put Bale in the Paddock with a fantastic fair but no nonsense challenge. He's not lacking in that side of defending. And he's a safe pair of hands linking up play.

His big issue now is that when he gets turned, that is pretty much it: we're in bother down that flank. However, we were in a lot of bother last season because we had poor CBs who couldn't do a covering role. Coady and Tarkowski change the scenario markedly. Ive lost times the number of times Coady has tidied up on the right side of defence this season already.

We'll be fine. And as I said above and in the Coleman thread, Seamus is much more aggressive attacking wise than Patterson.

I don't think it will be a big miss if he is out for a few games, hopefully he can recover for the rest of the international break and not miss too many games.

The replacement can easily do a job and loves this club just as much as we do, so there will certainly be no drop in the effort given.
exactly this. The injury curse continues (4 starting defenders injured in 7 games is something, even for us)... but Coleman coming in for a few games isn't the worst replacement and he'll have Tarks and Coady beside him so I'm far more confident than i would be if he was lining up beside Michael Keane. It wasn't that long ago we we're playing Cuco Martina at LB so let's be grateful our stand in RB is actually a RB by trade.
Hopefully the injury isn't too bad and all this is an over reaction.

hope it is not too long for Patterson (fingers double crossed) but we should be fine with Coleman, Holgate back soon and Iwobi could play as a wing back i f needed (not ideal but that might give Garner a chance to come in). Oh yeah and Tom Davies played a few games at full back lol

Status
Not open for further replies.