Moyes Substitutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't get the logic in his subs..The timing of his subs is woeful...Last night for instance..He sticks on Rodwell at 65 mins...How is that gonna help..taking off coleman and sticking a Defender/Def Midfielder on in his place playing on the right wing...

Last night..he waits til the 83rd minute to bring on Beckford & Yak...that gives them 7minutes + Inj time to get into the game..It's no wonder Beckford missed in the last minute..It was probably only his third touch in the game..

If your gonna want these players to make an inpact, then surely they need to be put on around the 65 / 70 min mark...which gives them time to get into the game..

Only world class players can come on with 5 mins left and change games...Yak / Beckford Are not world class and need more time to make an inpact...

If you're calling Rodwell a defender/def midfielder, then Coleman is a right back in theory. Just saying. I agree things could have been done earlier, but who am I to know. We got the draw, and almost knicked it

p.s. Those words you've written, they don't appear to have been eaten?

I really don't get the logic in his subs..The timing of his subs is woeful...Last night for instance..He sticks on Rodwell at 65 mins...How is that gonna help..taking off coleman and sticking a Defender/Def Midfielder on in his place playing on the right wing...

Last night..he waits til the 83rd minute to bring on Beckford & Yak...that gives them 7minutes + Inj time to get into the game..It's no wonder Beckford missed in the last minute..It was probably only his third touch in the game..

If your gonna want these players to make an inpact, then surely they need to be put on around the 65 / 70 min mark...which gives them time to get into the game..

Only world class players can come on with 5 mins left and change games...Yak / Beckford Are not world class and need more time to make an inpact...

I think Moyes saw Coleman unable to cope with the physical game of Bardsley and wanted to counter it. Which made it ironic that Rodwell was put on his arse by Bardsley after five minutes! Rodwell out there RM doesn't work. He had a poor game against Villa in that position and I thought we'd seen the last of it.

Moyes' sub timing always frustrates me! He'll never make any changes before 60mins unless someone is injured or we have lost the lead. And when he does make the subs, half the time they are defensive players coming on, and say we are 1-0 up we tend to hold back and let the opposition attack us and then they get a goal, always the same story pisses me right off!
Last nights subs were left way too late, they should of come on way earlier.

Next game Yak and Beckford must start, a lone striker just don't work anymore, well saying that the service is crap. We just try and pass the ball in the box only for their defenders to hoof it away, or we play hoof ball. Why we never shoot out of the box is beyond me! Moyes must drum it in their heads not to do that. I bet most teams know this.

Oh and Arteta lastnight.....where the hell was he?

Last edited:
He did exactly the same against Arsenal. Left things too late and we played ok after that so maybe he should have started with the side that finished that match. Last night he picks the same starting eleven as the Arsenal match and brings on Beckford and Yak too late. It frustrates me too sometimes because its so predictable.

If you're calling Rodwell a defender/def midfielder, then Coleman is a right back in theory. Just saying. I agree things could have been done earlier, but who am I to know. We got the draw, and almost knicked it

p.s. Those words you've written, they don't appear to have been eaten?

I'll eat them when we beat west brom and chelsea...we cud of easily have lost last night & won..but it's always that fine line isnt it? frustrating..People always go on about how moyes has done so well with his budget etc etc..but to be honest he has spent quite a bit of cash..

Take Blackpool and holloway for instance..no money yet thier performances have been alot more positive than ours..I am not for one minute suggesting we get holloway as manager..but it's about time Moyes started to wake up to his negative tactics & how 4-5-1 only works against certain teams..not every team..

Moyes' sub timing always frustrates me! He'll never make any changes before 60mins unless someone is injured or we have lost the lead. And when he does make the subs, half the time they are defensive players coming on, and say we are 1-0 up we tend to hold back and let the opposition attack us and then they get a goal, always the same story pisses me right off!
Last nights subs were left way too late, they should of come on way earlier.

Next game Yak and Beckford must start, a lone striker just don't work anymore, well saying that the service is crap. We just try and pass the ball in the box only for their defenders to hoof it away, or we play hoof ball. Why we never shoot out of the box is beyond me! Moyes must drum it in their heads not to do that. I bet most teams know this.

Oh and Arteta lastnight.....where the hell was he?
It's quite difficult to assume that, as we no longer play with a lone striker.We play 4-4-2 with Cahill as one of the strikers.

It's quite difficult to assume that, as we no longer play with a lone striker.We play 4-4-2 with Cahill as one of the strikers.

Actually in theory we don't - not usually anyway. At best it'd be 4-2-3-1 with Cahill playing just behind the striker and on a line with two attacking wide players.

We usually play either a 4-3-3 with Pienaar/Coleman supporting the front man, or at times we play a 4-2-4 when Cahill gets into the box earlier than he usually will.

It's only 4-5-1 until we win possession.

Actually in theory we don't - not usually anyway. At best it'd be 4-2-3-1 with Cahill playing just behind the striker and on a line with two attacking wide players.

We usually play either a 4-3-3 with Pienaar/Coleman supporting the front man, or at times we play a 4-2-4 when Cahill gets into the box earlier than he usually will.

It's only 4-5-1 until we win possession.
It not 4-2-3-1, Cahill is playing much higher than wide midfielders, look how deep Pienaar and Coleman receives the ball comparing to where Cahill is. And I wish we would be playing 4-5-1 when losing possession, based on yesterday's match - it's no longer the case. If it would be true, there's no way Cattermole and Henderson would have as much time on the ball, as they had last night, time after time there was nobody around them; Arteta and Heitinga sitting deep, and Cahill with Saha being closer to central forwards.

Last season it was significant that Cahill aften started playing higher than before, it was a good move, as we more aften these days control midfield battles. This season he is playing almost every game as centre forward, despite Mirror pseudo-journalists (and other Premier League pundits, thinking that Cahill is playing in midfield, just like they think Gerrard is top central midfielder, plus milion other things) criticizing Moyes for playing with single striker all the time.

IMO if we would play Yakubu instead of Cahill (in theory of course) Yakubu would be playing deeper these days than Cahill, mostly because he doesn't go for headers and prefers linking up plays with passing game.

Last edited:

We hardly have possesion of the ball..which highlights the problem we have..when we do have possesion of the ball..it's usually hoofed upfield by Jags or Distin for Cahill to win the header for knockdowns..That has to be a instruction from Moyes..It's a terrible stratagy and a frustrating one..cos when we do that ..we usualy loose possession..I always put down to Watching Everton is like Watching England...

Yanno those times when ya think, is it just me? am I the only one seeing this ? Then you come on here and realise that the only person NOT seeing this, is Moyes!

Saha, Arteta, Rodwell, Billy, Heitinga..it's the Usual Suspects and Moyes is our Keyser Soze . The mythical creature pulling the strings with reckless abandonment ! Surely he must be able to see the negative impact such players are having on not only the players around them but the crowd who in-turn effect the players performance.

This situation of bringing on players with only 8 mins to play is ridiculous any Sunday league manager could tell you that or even anyone who has played football at any sort of competitive level. You cannot adjust within that time to the pace,formation of yours or their team with so little time with so much at stake. If you do, your either very lucky or they are very unlucky.

Liverpool used to substitute Robbie Keane on virtually the 60 minute mark of every game and teams could set their watches by it and adjust accordingly. Moyes has this tendency to wait to close the stable door just as the horse vanishes over the horizon.
There are sometimes he acts like a man in his rookie year in the Premiership and others like some sort Oracle. I just wish the Real Moyesiah would show up more often and not this dithering doppelgänger e see prowling the touchline these days :(

In Moyes we trust..but sadly the clock may be ticking :(

Yanno those times when ya think, is it just me? am I the only one seeing this ? Then you come on here and realise that the only person NOT seeing this, is Moyes!

Saha, Arteta, Rodwell, Billy, Heitinga..it's the Usual Suspects and Moyes is our Keyser Soze . The mythical creature pulling the strings with reckless abandonment ! Surely he must be able to see the negative impact such players are having on not only the players around them but the crowd who in-turn effect the players performance.

This situation of bringing on players with only 8 mins to play is ridiculous any Sunday league manager could tell you that or even anyone who has played football at any sort of competitive level. You cannot adjust within that time to the pace,formation of yours or their team with so little time with so much at stake. If you do, your either very lucky or they are very unlucky.

Liverpool used to substitute Robbie Keane on virtually the 60 minute mark of every game and teams could set their watches by it and adjust accordingly. Moyes has this tendency to wait to close the stable door just as the horse vanishes over the horizon.
There are sometimes he acts like a man in his rookie year in the Premiership and others like some sort Oracle. I just wish the Real Moyesiah would show up more often and not this dithering doppelgänger e see prowling the touchline these days :(

In Moyes we trust..but sadly the clock may be ticking :(

Excellent post mate....spot on...

Status
Not open for further replies.