Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more and more I look at Martinez, the less and less I want him. I used to like him but really not keen on him now
My choice would be Pereira but I'm really not overly confident
Although I have heard that it would cost BK up to £5million in compensation to get Martinez so that may sway him away from that

He's only got a year left on his contract, so assuming he's not on £100,000 a week it's not going to cost £5m. Closer to £2m i reckon (£40,000 per week). Still don't want him though

Huub Stevens? (25/1 Ladbrokes - not quoted before)

Schalke - sacked December 12 (no compo).

Managed 9 clubs - 9 positive records (more wins than losses)

Last edited:

...I have posted his pre-Porto record on here and I am seriously concerned that he's not the Messiah some think he is. Saying that this is just my view and I respect others who think differently.

Like I said, I know very little about Portuguese football, but it seems pretty easy to win the league there with Porto. Similar to Lennon winning it in Scotland maybe? Also someone mentioned Jesualdo Ferreira who was Porto coach between Mourinho and AVB. Apparently won loads with Porto but got found out once leaving.

May have already been mentioned - but don't rule out the possibility of us waiting to speak to Zola (obviously depending on what happens today) - I'd prefer him over Martinez.

I can understand the Martinez reservations, but the mere fact of his relegation this season shouldn't be the only consideration. Let's not forget, the likes of Klopp and Benitez both suffered relegations earlier in their careers before going on to win trophies. Pereira's record before working his way up at Porto is, while not including a relegation, wholly unimpressive. Arsene Wenger's first managerial role was with Nancy-Lorraine - similarly to Martinez, he got them relegated whilst sustaining a lot of respect from other coaches.

Martinez is 39, the second (?) youngest manager in the league. He has an enormous amount of experience for his age, but he's still young. He'll learn from the relegation, just as he'll learn from the cup win. The bigger concern is that he didn't ever really seem to learn how to improve what he had at Wigan, although it's fair to say he lost key players far too regularly.

Man Utd didn't bring Moyes in because of his record. He was judged on his ethos, his ambition and determination - the assumption being that those characteristics will flourish in an environment with greater resources. The same sort of judgement should be made on Martinez. If he comes (and I'm still sure he'll be Kenwright's first choice) he'll have a significantly better squad to work with, a better wage structure and some small improvement in transfer budget. It's impossible to say how he'll do, but not impossible that he might do well.

What a great post, I totally agree with this. I'd be happy with either Pereira or Martinez so hopefully the best salesman for EFC in the world has managed to convince one of these 2 to take the job.
God help us if they both turn it down

What a great post, I totally agree with this. I'd be happy with either Pereira or Martinez so hopefully the best salesman for EFC in the world has managed to convince one of these 2 to take the job.
God help us if they both turn it down

agreed, well thought out post. Far too reasonable for this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.