Moyes: manager of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebbiolo

Valuation: £108 million
Not long now before the season has ended, and I can only think of another two managers that have performed well; that is, their teams have exceeded expectations and competed above their level consistently. These are:

Benitez (boo, hiss) and O'Neil.

A lot depends on how the final weeks pan out. If Villa and Liverpool lose every game, that's fat lad and O'Neil out of the running. Similarly, if our season ends on a low, and theirs doesn't, then Moyes isn't a candidate. But at this stage, you would have to say Moyes is again a contender for manager of the season.

I'm even starting to think Moyes deserves his £70k a week.

Thoughts?

Completely disagree with the calls for Martin O'Neil.

What has he achieved?

They finished 6th last season and then proceeded to spend £50m, while bumping their wage bill ridiculously high.

We spent no money, (Fellaini effectively paid for by McFadden and AJ sales), had a shocking start and hefty amount of injuries to key players are remain just the one point behind them.

Roy Hodgson deserves a much bigger mention that O'Neil.

Oh, and isn't Moyes on £55,000/£60,000 a week, not £75,000?

He's made massive strides this year to be honest and he's been alot more positive in his approach to games even with injuries, something he hasn't always done.

Moving Arteta centrally and finally understanding that controling a game is key to everything, winning games comfortably especially. I remember certain people at the start of the season telling me that wasn't the way forward because West Brom where struggling.lol That and finally introducing Leighton Baines into the side.

He's had a fantastic season after a shaky start, he's got to be in with a shout, certainly if we finish the season strongly.

I hate all the o'neil loving thats come out of the woodwork.
The mans had big financial backing to turn that club round?
Does that warrant extra special recognition??
Same could be said about Benitez.
Pair of them have had/ got money to burn, this is why i think moyes is a cut above.

I reckon if you give moyes £100 million to spend, the man would give you change and a bloody receipt!!!

Hes a quality manager, and deserves the award, but you just know that one of them 2, or Fergie if he wins a truckload of trophies, will get it above him.

Moyes - Worked wonders with a massively depleted squad. If we come 5th we'll have cemented our place as "best of the rest" again despite spending a penny and losing key players. Moyes has shown tactical nouse to cope with the injuries that no other team could have handled... to top it all off we've beaten Liverpool and Villa on the way to an FA Cup Semi Final.

O'Neil - Spent a lot of money. had his team playing well and challenging for the top 4. the wheels have fallen off a bit but they've still had a good season. Not bad but no more then they should have... they haven't over achieved. You can only over achieve if you finish higher then expected, regardless of where you were at Xmas, so for that reason he doesn't deserve it.

Ferguson - Still in all their competitions. If they win the premier league and the champions league then i'm afraid you can't top that. If they only win the league then i'd say that was expected as they were the favourites. Must win Champions League AND Premier League to win teh award IMO.

Benitez - Had a very good season. ****ed up big style when he tried to take on Fergie at the old mind games. Recovered well but after being knocked out of Champions League last night they can only win the League now. If they suceed I will admit that they have over achieved, and probably would deserve the manager of the year award (please go don't let this happen!!!!!)

Hodgson - Fulham were all but down when he took over last season. Stabilised the club and has kept them away from the relegation battle for most of the season. Has done an exceptionally good job. Over achieved? Yes.... does a manager deserve manager of the year for finishing mid table after spending a decent amount of money... probably not... but he's done well and deserves credit for that.

Zola - West Ham have had terrible problems off the field but after a poor start Zola has turned their fortunes round and they may well end up 7th. if they claim that last Eufa Cup spot I think he deserves to be in the running for the award. Done a top job there!

Tony Pullis - Stoke may not be the prettiest of teams to watch but he's done an excellent job there! When they were struggling he bought well in Jan, and they have one of the best home records in the division. Its very hard to keep a team up after promotion and he hasn't spent a lot of money (compared to a lot of teams down there). Another manager who's done a top job this season!

So yeah I guess i've not been very decisive there in my opinions of who should be manager of the year. Some very strong contenders for me. personally i'd like moyes to win, but if he doesn't I think Pullis deserves it. Controversial I know but I had Stoke down a definates for relegation and he's done a great job there.

Last edited:

What has he achieved?

They finished 6th last season and then proceeded to spend £50m, while bumping their wage bill ridiculously high.

We spent no money, (Fellaini effectively paid for by McFadden and AJ sales), had a shocking start and hefty amount of injuries to key players are remain just the one point behind them.

Still in with a shout of 4th (just), spent the whole of the campaign in the CL places. Like was said above, the wheels have come off of late, but if O'Neil should recover and take that CL place, I for one will give credit where it is due.

What has he achieved?

Apologies:

Moyes doubles his money with new five-year deal at Goodison | Mail Online

The Mail claim £65k a week.

Moyes - Worked wonders with a massively depleted squad. If we come 5th we'll have cemented our place as "best of the rest" again despite spending a penny and losing key players. Moyes has shown tactical nouse to cope with the injuries that no other team could have handled... to top it all off we've beaten Liverpool and Villa on the way to an FA Cup Semi Final.

O'Neil - Spent a lot of money. had his team playing well and challenging for the top 4. the wheels have fallen off a bit but they've still had a good season. Not bad but no more then they should have... they haven't over achieved. You can only over achieve if you finish higher then expected, regardless of where you were at Xmas, so for that reason he doesn't deserve it.

Ferguson - Still in all their competitions. If they win the premier league and the champions league then i'm afraid you can't top that. If they only win the league then i'd say that was expected as they were the favourites. Must win Champions League AND Premier League to win teh award IMO.

Benitez - Had a very good season. ****ed up big style when he tried to take on Fergie at the old mind games. Recovered well but after being knocked out of Champions League last night they can only win the League now. If they suceed I will admit that they have over achieved, and probably would deserve the manager of the year award (please go don't let this happen!!!!!)

Hodgson - Fulham were all but down when he took over last season. Stabilised the club and has kept them away from the relegation battle for most of the season. Has done an exceptionally good job. Over achieved? Yes.... does a manager deserve manager of the year for finishing mid table after spending a decent amount of money... probably not... but he's done well and deserves credit for that.

Zola - West Ham have had terrible problems off the field but after a poor start Zola has turned their fortunes round and they may well end up 7th. if they claim that last Eufa Cup spot I think he deserves to be in the running for the award. Done a top job there!

Tony Pullis - Stoke may not be the prettiest of teams to watch but he's done an excellent job there! When they were struggling he bought well in Jan, and they have one of the best home records in the division. Its very hard to keep a team up after promotion and he hasn't spent a lot of money (compared to a lot of teams down there). Another manager who's done a top job this season!

So yeah I guess i've not been very decisive there in my opinions of who should be manager of the year. Some very strong contenders for me. personally i'd like moyes to win, but if he doesn't I think Pullis deserves it. Controversial I know but I had Stoke down a definates for relegation and he's done a great job there.

Excellent, considered post, mate. I agree on Hodgson, he's really made a difference at Fulham. Not sure on Pullis, his team is still not out of the woods. However, it's been an excellent end-of0season for him. Even if Fergie wins the treble, you've got to ask questions about United this season. They've never looked like they have previously, which is why Liverpool and even Chelsea still look to be in it on a couple of fronts.

Still in with a shout of 4th (just), spent the whole of the campaign in the CL places. Like was said above, the wheels have come off of late, but if O'Neil should recover and take that CL place, I for one will give credit where it is due.

But if he doesn't - and he won't - then he shouldn't even be a contender, considering he has spent £50m.

Excellent, considered post, mate. I agree on Hodgson, he's really made a difference at Fulham. Not sure on Pullis, his team is still not out of the woods. However, it's been an excellent end-of0season for him. Even if Fergie wins the treble, you've got to ask questions about United this season. They've never looked like they have previously, which is why Liverpool and even Chelsea still look to be in it on a couple of fronts.

The problem for me with Man U and Arsenal is that they lose one or two important players (Vidic, Ferdinand / Fabregas, Adebayor) and they go to pot. We lose The Yak & Arteta and still do well. I think Man U were very good until recently, but if they dont get their act together they will only have the League to concntrate on after Sunday. It takes a lot to compete on all fronts tho even for a team with their resources, so if they do win the league and the champions league i'd still begrudgingly say Fergie deserves the award.

Steve Bruce probably deserves a nod for his work at Wigan this season. Moyes certainly deserves a nod, but as with the PFA gong it depends when they decide these things. The PFA voting shut last month sometime when United were swatting all comers, hence why they had so many entrants. If the same happens with the managers gong then O'Neill would be a shoe in as Villa were still in the CL spots then. Of course since then the wheels have well and truely come off.

Much depends on who wins what. I reckon if we get 5th and win the FA Cup (or even make the final) then Moyes would be a good bet, but if an English team wins the CL then it's hard to look past the manager of that team.

He's made massive strides this year to be honest and he's been alot more positive in his approach to games even with injuries, something he hasn't always done.

Moving Arteta centrally and finally understanding that controling a game is key to everything, winning games comfortably especially. I remember certain people at the start of the season telling me that wasn't the way forward because West Brom where struggling.lol That and finally introducing Leighton Baines into the side.

He's had a fantastic season after a shaky start, he's got to be in with a shout, certainly if we finish the season strongly.

Nice mate, good to see you back firing after your slight loss of form.

Moyesy has become a real manager this season. Hopefully that's due to signing his contract and being committed to making Everton successful. His attitude is totally different now, I've enjoyed it.

Nice mate, good to see you back firing after your slight loss of form.

Moyesy has become a real manager this season. Hopefully that's due to signing his contract and being committed to making Everton successful. His attitude is totally different now, I've enjoyed it.

Totally agree, Brownie. He was off with the faeries at the start of the campaign, and actually just prior to it. But since then his attitude has been excellent. I'm enjoying it immensely too.

Status
Not open for further replies.