2019/20 Moise Kean

Status
Not open for further replies.
His price tag is his worst enemy. No one should have expected him to come in and be one of our star players. It’s hard enough for young players to come in to a new team in a new country even when they join a team doing well.

Unfortunately, I think the main people who did were Silva and Brands. Spending £30m on a striker when we so desperately needed one suggests he was the man they were looking to in the immediate future. I´d be amazed and worried in equal measure if they bought Kean on his potential for 3 years time when we need players for the here and now.

He's a kid whose moved to a different country, joined a dysfunctional football team, his competition for playing time both scored 15 goals, and he's had to deal with the pressure of a huge transfer fee with all the expectations that come with that. No wonder he hasn't pulled up trees.

What I personally see with Kean is someone with all the athletic attributes you need, the ability to play with his back to goal, run in behind, and beat players one on one. He hasn't been as consistent as we would like but he's got all the tools to be a top striker.

I do think he's someone who needs to start games, whenever he comes off the bench he seems like he's too desperate to impress so tries stupid things rather than just letting the game come to him. Overall though it's not like he's a Niasse where you can just see he's not good enough for this level, give him the time young players deserve and I think we've got a real player on our hands.

Yeah, but there's not though. Literally no one on this forum (least of all you, judging by your comments) is qualified to judge whether he's "bang on track with his development".

All that anyone's saying is that your "two goals two goals two goals" shout is daft and a remarkably blunt way of analysing said development... and the player comparisons simply show that to be the case - especially when factoring in that those comparisons were (largely) to players operating in their own countries, and often at a much lower level of football than Kean is playing at (not to mention the bizarre last third of this season)
The ONLY measure of Kean is how many times he hits the back of the net.

On that basis (the only basis) he has failed.

Ok, he gets another chance because the manager says so. But he better start wearing his shooting boots and scoring asap or he will be out by January.

Ok, he gets another chance because the manager says so. But he better start wearing his shooting boots and scoring asap or he will be out by January.
I think this is a fair take on it.

Give him a chance, but let’s not be daft.

So you’d have been all for turfing Harry Kane out of Spurs at a similar age then?

After all his goalscoring record was similar despite playing at a lower level and didn’t have the mitigating factor of getting used to a new country.

If not, please elaborate on why.

It would be fair if he was playing consistently. As it was I'd say we should be happy enough with his return.

His return wouldn’t be too much of a problem if he looked handy & threatening when he makes an appearance.

The trouble is that he was very raw when he first started here and I think he has made very little (or no) progress this year.

His return wouldn’t be too much of a problem if he looked handy & threatening when he makes an appearance.

The trouble is that he was very raw when he first started here and I think he has made very little (or no) progress this year.
Every game he's started he has gotten on the end of a fairly big chance. The threat is there to see if you go back and look.

Every game he's started he has gotten on the end of a fairly big chance. The threat is there to see if you go back and look.

Well, he’s scored 2 in 32, so I wouldn’t say there is that much of a threat about him.

Im not saying he’s totally useless, he can clearly present a goal threat of sorts, but it’s been very disappointing for a £30m striker with such good stats (albeit brief) in Italy.

I went to every home game before lockdown and the overwhelming sense I got from his appearances is that he looked very very raw - I would’ve hoped to see him adapt a little quicker.

Hopefully next season will be better for him.

Everybody who has actually watched him knows this. Dave is being obtuse about his goal tally and ignoring that Kean has played well, really well at times, and shown genuine talent because he's a Brands signing. That's really all there is to it.

Well, he’s scored 2 in 32, so I wouldn’t say there is that much of a threat about him.

Im not saying he’s totally useless, he can clearly present a goal threat of sorts, but it’s been very disappointing for a £30m striker with such good stats (albeit brief) in Italy.

I went to every home game before lockdown and the overwhelming sense I got from his appearances is that he looked very very raw - I would’ve hoped to see him adapt a little quicker.

Hopefully next season will be better for him.
Or 2 in 700 minutes with 2 assists. Dress it up how you like.

Or 2 in 700 minutes with 2 assists. Dress it up how you like.

Well, the stats suggest he scores a goal every 418 minutes, so you can also dress it up, but it's not as though he's a major goal threat which you might expect of a £30m striker.

He's still young, and I hope he'll continue to develop - he has plenty of time. My main concern isn't the stats, it's the fact that he just doesn't look like he's ready to play at this level yet whenever he comes off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.