Modern Football Fans & Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article that helps to illustrate how the right stats can “prove” anything:

The key here is the right stats, clearly certain stats coupled with good scouting is the way forward, the issue a lot of people have is using obscure stats as the be all and end all in determining worthy targets, see the Gomes stats posted earlier in this thread.

Couldn't agree more with the OP.

Someone like Peter Reid would have mediocre stats these days, but he was absolutely phenomenal for us. Blues who watch us week in/week out have a much better understanding of the game and a players value to the team, than the people who go digging for completely irrelevant statistics.

In my last Champo save I made a spreadsheet to give me a ranking out of 100 of each player's suitability for their role. Really aided me in recruitment. That and it allowed me to quantify exactly how bad Cuco is at football.

I was unemployed. I got better.

NB. I didn't get better.

The key here is the right stats, clearly certain stats coupled with good scouting is the way forward, the issue a lot of people have is using obscure stats as the be all and end all in determining worthy targets, see the Gomes stats posted earlier in this thread.

I couldn’t agree more. With that said I found the overarching point being made about Gomes interesting and will probably pay more attention to his defensive work next season.

All things in moderation, and all that.

Devils advocate- because what people see with their eyes is open to interpretation.

Stats give you a base to work from, to enable you to form a clear picture of the players capabilities.

Where stats fall down with idiots who base a players capabilities solely on that, is they do not allow for the chance of improvement and base everything solely on current stats.

Can’t believe I actually answered this seriously
Good answer. Most things can be analysed with numbers and therefore paint its own picture which doesn’t have a bias.

Whatever happened to watching a game and coming up with an opinion based on what you saw with your own eyes?

It's been mentioned in other threads but there seems to be a huge emphasis on people using random stats to demonstrate why we should or shouldn't sign a player when for the most part the stats used are garbage.

If we could stop using pointless stats as the sole basis as to the pros and cons of a player that would be great. Surely the 4 hours you spent compiling stats and making graphs would have been better spent climbing off your stained bed sheets, having a shower and putting some effort into forming meaningful relationships.
What channel is the Belgian League 2 on?

I've got some scouting to do.

Stats are a huge part of the game now and help build a picture of a player and what they contribute. In a lot of ways stats are a great way to compare players or a specific player’s performance across seasons.

It’s great for debating.

However.. it’s got to the point where some assume that players are poor based on them, or better than other players because of stats.

I saw an argument on here yesterday when someone used the stat of a player being MOTM twice, as a reason why he’s better than our current players. Mind blowing it really is.

Using Gomes and Gana as the best examples:

Gomes - poor stats in terms of goals and assists, but was our player of the season based on fan opinion on here.

On top of that, I had plenty of mates who support other teams who said Gomes was the best player on the pitch when we played them with the Anfield derby being a perfect example.

Best player on the pitch against the CL winning side, but some would’ve preferred us to buy players from the Ukrainian league instead.

Gana - unbelievable defensive stats. Obviously contributes a huge amount to the team. His passing stats are pretty good too. However, anyone who watches him play should know that he’s not exactly Pirlo on the ball.

Without looking I’d guess that Gana has similar or better passing stats than Gomes but everyone knows that there’s no comparison.

Again it’s good for discussion but some take it as the only thing to go by - as if we’re talking about sales data on a spreadsheet, and not a match you can watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.