Mike Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally out of his depth. Wonder how much pay off he got off us?

....peanuts compared to today’s money. He wasn’t very good. A mate of mine exchanged words in the car park at Bellefield and he honestly didn’t have a clue.

From memory, I think his appointment is still a ‘lesson learned’ of a manager who inherited (rather than built) a decent team at Norwich.

Last edited:

We"d actually just taken 5 points from the previous three games before he was jettisoned which was a massive improvement on what had gone before so I reckon Walker believed he'd got over the worst.

He really should've gone after that infamous 0-2 home defeat to a very poor Coventry side a month earlier when they beat us without breaking sweat, yet, bizarrely, some in the Gwladys Street were chanting 'there's only one Mike Walker' that day as another loss loomed. That maybe got him a stay of execution.

It really was a horrible time to be a Blue during his short spell of management here.

Last edited:
I actually met him at Bellefield on my first trip to Liverpool back in 1990. I was staying with my dad's cousin in Crosby and she arranged to have me attend a training session (I was a sports writer back in the day). Her son Robbie pestered me to get a certain player's autograph (I think it was Neil McDonald, but really can't remember for sure). Anyway, after watching the team train (and getting a couple of curious glances my way, especially from Southall), I had a chance to chat with Walker afterward. As I was leaving, I remembered the autograph request and, to my surprise, he took the book in and got it signed. A class move. The fact he was in over his head as Everton manager doesn't detract from that.

He was clueless, I wasted over five minutes arguing with Barry Horne coming down the stairs from The Upper Bullens Stand, with Barry telling me he will get it right and me telling Barry, in a nice way, that the longer Walker stays the worse trouble we would be in, it was only a short stay by Walker but long enough to make him the worst manager we have ever had, by a long way. Did he ever manage anyone else after the mess he made of “ managing “ us?

He was clueless, I wasted over five minutes arguing with Barry Horne coming down the stairs from The Upper Bullens Stand, with Barry telling me he will get it right and me telling Barry, in a nice way, that the longer Walker stays the worse trouble we would be in, it was only a short stay by Walker but long enough to make him the worst manager we have ever had, by a long way. Did he ever manage anyone else after the mess he made of “ managing “ us?

Went back to Norwich after us, failed to get them back up, then took up life in the sun managing APOEL in Cyprus.

So many years passed and Bill is probably still as clueless to how Everton is being run. :D

Also look the state of the players cars, shows you how different things were back then.

Remember being home on leave ‘93/‘94ish, went to see us at Norwich with him in charge. 0-0. I think we were bottom of the league. Grim times.

We"d actually just taken 5 points from the previous three games before he was jettisoned which was a massive improvement on what had gone before so I reckon Walker believed he'd got over the worst.

He really should've gone after that infamous 0-2 home defeat to a very poor Coventry side a month earlier when they beat us without breaking sweat, yet, bizarrely, some in the Gwladys Street were chanting 'there's only one Mike Walker' that day as another loss loomed. That maybe got him a stay of execution.

It really was a horrible time to be a Blue during his short spell of management here.

I remember them playing "things can only get better" at full time after we lost at home to QPR.

Desperate start to the season. God bless Gary Tablet with the diving header against the Hammers for the first win that season that seemed to take forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.