Midweek games at the start - yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGW89

Player Valuation: £35m
I remember in days gone by (as recently as 2007) the second (or sometimes third) game of the prem season would be midweek.

Midweek games at the start of the season have provided many memorable moments, such as our 3-0 demolition of the manc at OT, Big Dunc's comeback goal against Charlton, Rooney's double against Charlton, our 3-1 masterclass over Spurs at WHL....

.....AND not forgetting that memorable, unbelievable, momentous 1-1 draw against a newly promoted Birmingham in 2002! What a match!

OK, got a bit carried away there, but my point is that wouldn't it be more of an event if we had weekday games again at the start, rather than in November when everyone is cream crackered?

This would give players a mid-season breather, and with Rio 14 coming up, that could make a bit of difference?

Thoughts and opinions

Yea the 2nd game always used to be the following Wednesday.

I'm recalling my memory here but wasn't there a game in about the year 1999/2000/2001. One of those years, late on a Friday night? Not sure who it was against but I think it was our first home game. It possibly could've been a Wednesday night game.

Also, I think it could've been the first year the screen was installed at the park end because someone shouted in the lower Gwladys "put big brother on"
I'm gonna go on Wikipedia and see who it was against. Could've been Charlton because I think it was Fergusons first game back.

How boss was it when the derby was on Good Friday two years on the run at Goodison? That was class. Despite the results.

Night matches are just the best in general, suppose it's nicer when the weather's a bit better as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.