Midfielders in the Youth Set-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

weebs

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
We look to have a wealth of midfielders who are progressing well at the moment.

Out of Dowell, Evans, Davies, Walsh, Williams and Ledson, who is the the one i should be watching out for?

Might start going down to watch them at Southport

Ledson and Walsh have gotten really high praise in the past, although Ledson seems to be struggling for game-time this season for some reason.
Dowell is a bit of a different player to the rest as is Evans in that they play higher up the pitch in the 'hole'.

Have a look the youth players thread for a more detailed description though.

Ledson and Walsh have gotten really high praise in the past, although Ledson seems to be struggling for game-time this season for some reason.
Dowell is a bit of a different player to the rest as is Evans in that they play higher up the pitch in the 'hole'.

Have a look the youth players thread for a more detailed description though.
As an ex Prozone analyst for Everton, I might start going to.the academy games and report back to.the forum.. I live in Burscough so.it's not far to travel.

As an ex Prozone analyst for Everton, I might start going to.the academy games and report back to.the forum.. I live in Burscough so.it's not far to travel.
Sounds good mate. We have a plethora of talent coming through the academy at the moment, of the midfielders you've mentioned all could potentially make it in football in some form or another. At which level is another question.
Would be really good to hear what someone thinks after watching the kids which I can't do from the other side of the world.

Michael Donohue, wide midfield player, has plenty of pace and scores a few, Liam Walsh can be a big player for Everton in the future, bags of skill, good passer , long and short, captained the u18's last week, Ryan Ledson has been injured a bit this season and hasn't really settled up to now, but should come again. Dowell is the one plenty of people think will be a
star in the years ahead, he is a bit of a puzzle to me, he has tons of skill and another great passer of the ball, but whenever
I've seen him he never goes looking for the ball, doesn't fight to get it and he has a lazy docile attitude it seems to me, and I mean this as constructive criticism, it is the one thing, maybe the only aspect of his game that will stop him from making
his mark in football.

Used to watch some of the U21 games, in recent times it seems as if Ledson's dropped off a bit in his development. I've met Kieran Dowell and Michael Donohue and aswell as them both looking really impressive players they seem to be top lads too. Heard off a mate that Walsh believes his own hype a bit.

Used to watch some of the U21 games, in recent times it seems as if Ledson's dropped off a bit in his development. I've met Kieran Dowell and Michael Donohue and aswell as them both looking really impressive players they seem to be top lads too. Heard off a mate that Walsh believes his own hype a bit.
What's happened there? Seems so sudden.
Attitude issue?

Fraught with danger trying to pick stayers that young

Short two word answer; George Green.

Long answer; To give it a bit of historical perspective, pick a year any year, from 2005 back, do a search of the british International schoolboy teams, various club youth teams youth teams of clubs, whatever and see how many names you know.

I've done this once or twice when the mood took me, for pretty much the same reasons, going back to the early 60, via old programs I have.

and name recognition if few and far between.

From Ray Veall to James Vaughn, the odd one pops up, who, for what ever reason(s) flared briefly and never progressed

What's happened there? Seems so sudden.
Attitude issue?

Don't know any details just my opinion in that he hasn't been playing well so far this season, could just be a run of poor form or maybe he's not the player we thought he might be. We'll see over time.

George Green is the standout reason why you need much more than talent, he had it in abundance but his temperament
always made his future a bit doubtful, wander how he is getting on at Oldhah Athletic.

In approximate order or ability below. I should point out that the set of midfielders below are stronger than the majority in our curry under 17/16's age group (Evans aside).

Evans: A terrific talent. Delighted he has signed a long term contract as some top clubs were monitoring him. He is quick, good on the ball, confident at dribbling, has vision and an eye for a goal. Also over 6 ft tall. Looks a real prospect. Often has the under 18's and under 21's built around getting the best out of him.

Ledson: A lot has been written about him. Tall box to box Midfielder. Strong in the tackle, good passer with a decent shot on him. Like a Defensive Gerrard type player or a young Rodwell. Not been included much recently so needs to get more game time you would think.

Dowell: Already featured for the first team. A natural number 10. Drifts into great positions, has brilliant vision and can naturally play one touch football way beyond his years. Also he has grown a lot in height over recent years. He does look a bit languid though and isn't a great mover. I think he is quite similar to Ozil in style and ghosts past players. He will be fine as long as Martinez stays but I would be worried is another Moyes type manager came in. He will be viewed as a "luxury player"/

Walsh: Arguably the most talented young player we've got. he has fantastic technique and an ability to control the flow of a game from a deep lying position. The worry is his size. Again like with Dowell I would worry if Martinez went. In an era where young players tend to be 6 ft+ and good athletes he doesn't fit that. Ledson and Evans will stand a chance whoever is in charge, but Walsh will need a little more care.

They are the main 4 contenders. Some others to keep an eye out:

Donuhue: This lad is a bit of a mystery to me. Often for the under 18's looks head and shoulders above the rest. A great dribbler, gutsy and can finish. However he hasn't had enough time in the reserves for me to think he is knocking the door down for selection.

Williams: He has ticked all the right boxes. Tall and similar to Ledson. I don't see him having that standout ability to make it at Everton though, but we will see.

Davies: Currently a 17 year old. Strong lad, see what I've written about him in his own thread.

Bannigame: A young lad to keep an eye on, looks big and strong.

Don't know any details just my opinion in that he hasn't been playing well so far this season, could just be a run of poor form or maybe he's not the player we thought he might be. We'll see over time.

by all accounts 'allegedly' was always going back to Bradford, playing the big 'I am' and getting on the pop and stuff. Again 'allegedly' after that 'wonder goal' at Tranmere went on a bender to celebrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.