2020/21 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worry about Keane if we ever decide to play football that’s not from the 13th century and are a little more expansive with our back line. If we ever got some pace at right back and looked to play higher I don’t think he could cope even with the legs of Godfrey (who you’d prefer to be coming out to meet players) to cover behind.

By the same adage I worry about Mina in the same way albeit to a lesser extent.

As I said not a fan but you really need to look at Godfrey's position if you want to blame anyone.
We are playing 3 CB’s. You can’t expect them to be holding hands every time a cross comes in. Had he tucked in, right next to Keane & holgate. And the ball had gone through to Son, unmarked With all the time in the world to slot it home. You would also be blaming Godfrey for being out of position.

I worry about Keane if we ever decide to play football that’s not from the 13th century and are a little more expansive with our back line. If we ever got some pace at right back and looked to play higher I don’t think he could cope even with the legs of Godfrey (who you’d prefer to be coming out to meet players) to cover behind.

By the same adage I worry about Mina in the same way albeit to a lesser extent.

...pretty much my take as well.

As I continually say, if Keane plays he needs protecting and the team shouldn’t be set up to protect a CB. I do think we can be more expansive with Mina. Mina isn’t fast either, but he carries less risk, is competitive and has more aggression. Mina/Godfrey is a decent combination.

I’ve been massively critical of Keane, but equally complimentary of his performances over the last 12 months or so. The problem is, it appears his confidence is the key to his performances. Being left out of the England team (surprisingly) has no doubt affected him.
If EFC want to move to the higher echelons of the table, we have to be ruthless. Look at the really top teams. There’s simply no room for confidence fragility. Ancelotti needs to buy a top class centre back to play alongside Ben Godfrey.
Keane and Holgate would be decent back up players. Mina in my opinion would be the one to be sold to bring in the class defender.
Clearly, Coleman requires some competition at right back, and another “big” signing Is needed to play in midfield to play ahead of Iwobi, and/or Gomes.
I’ve said it before, but I don’t think Holgate or Davies are good enough to be regular first teamers. Not if we really want European football. However, they’d be decent back up, alongside Keane, Coleman, Gomes and Sigurdsson.

I’ve been massively critical of Keane, but equally complimentary of his performances over the last 12 months or so. The problem is, it appears his confidence is the key to his performances. Being left out of the England team (surprisingly) has no doubt affected him.
If EFC want to move to the higher echelons of the table, we have to be ruthless. Look at the really top teams. There’s simply no room for confidence fragility. Ancelotti needs to buy a top class centre back to play alongside Ben Godfrey.
Keane and Holgate would be decent back up players. Mina in my opinion would be the one to be sold to bring in the class defender.
Clearly, Coleman requires some competition at right back, and another “big” signing Is needed to play in midfield to play ahead of Iwobi, and/or Gomes.
I’ve said it before, but I don’t think Holgate or Davies are good enough to be regular first teamers. Not if we really want European football. However, they’d be decent back up, alongside Keane, Coleman, Gomes and Sigurdsson.
You talk about being ruthless, then say Coleman needs competition. Ok he did well when he came on the other night. And he can still fill in at times, late on in games. But as a regular starter, he offers very little. Poor final ball and crosses most of the time. Passing average and goes backwards most of the time.

You can’t fault his desire, but he’s not good enough. And it’s really hammered out team this year having the lack of a quality at RB

He really seemed to struggle for his first couple of seasons and did not look a good investment.
Burnley were ROFL and PMSL.

He plays better when the team plays well.
He has had a handful of good games when the team has been poor, not many.

Not a top 4 player if you have genuine aspirations, a squad player for a top 4 team.
Handy back up, would keep him around but still look to strengthen in that position.

I mean he headed the ball straight against the back of a team mate so yes you can hang that goal on him?
So from the hight of the ball when it came to him he should have cleared the bar with it,? Watch it again and for a split second it looks like Holgate might head it,then when Kane shoots, check where Godfrey is.

You think Godfrey should have anticipated Keane messing it up, strange take on things that. Keane and Holgate went for it to deal with it, Godfrey has every right to expect one of them to deal with it. I doubt he was expecting it to end up with harry Kane in front of an open net bar Pickford.
So when the ball is crossed nobody should be tight goal side of the Premier League top scorer?

We are playing 3 CB’s. You can’t expect them to be holding hands every time a cross comes in. Had he tucked in, right next to Keane & holgate. And the ball had gone through to Son, unmarked With all the time in the world to slot it home. You would also be blaming Godfrey for being out of position.
Kane is the divisions top scorer he was unmarked.

...pretty much my take as well.

As I continually say, if Keane plays he needs protecting and the team shouldn’t be set up to protect a CB. I do think we can be more expansive with Mina. Mina isn’t fast either, but he carries less risk, is competitive and has more aggression. Mina/Godfrey is a decent combination.
He had a good time with Zouma when we played a slightly higher line, however Zouma was used as a bit of a mop up behind Keane when really you wanted to use his pace to close attackers down and win the ball early. I think with Keane you have to set up for his deficiencies which really isn’t ideal for a club that want to be playing expansive stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.