Merson the most anti-Everton pundit today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not heard much from him recently but in the past he always seemed positive about us. Or have i only heard thge good bits ?
Paul Merson has suggested in The Daily Star that Theo Walcott has made a mistake joining Everton from Arsenal in the January transfer window.

The former Arsenal star believes that Walcott, who can operate as a forward or a winger, should have moved to Southampton or Bournemouth.
He didn't say we weren't good enough for us. He said he thought he would join Southampton or Bournemouth as it would mean less of an upheaval for Walcott and his family. There are an awful lot more pundits who give us stick more then Merson.
And in fairness we deserve plenty flak
i agree we deserve some of it but this is irritating from his column
Paul Merson has claimed that greedy Theo Walcott was wrong to move to Everton as their style of football will not suit him and he has just done it for the money.

Fair enough comments. We are boring. (Have to be until we can trust ourselves to get points by playing football. ) it has become the norm for us to leak in 3/4 goals a game. I think we have overlooked this. 3/4 goals. Getting hammered since martinez second season . It has to stop.We have to realise that has to stop. And if it means becoming boring for a season so be it. Thats why Sam was brought in.

Merson is saying southampton and bourn are more attacking than us and walcott will get more chances. Short term yes. He is right. Until we stop leaking goals. But i hope we will now become a counter attacking team like leicester where bolaise walcott lookman will be big players for us. Thats is where our chances will hopefully come from now.

Here's a typical range of Merson comments:

"Dont get me wrong Jeff, Everton are a massive club. But you have to say Andy Carroll would be ruining his career if he went there right now"
"Jeff, I love Everton they're a big traditional club, but you wouldn't say to a player go and join them and win trophies would you?"
"They're a fantastic club, Everton, but come on Jeff they cant be seen as Champions League contenders"

Damned with faint praise.
Thing is Dave, I would totally and utterly agree with all 3 of those statements

Here's a typical range of Merson comments:

"Dont get me wrong Jeff, Everton are a massive club. But you have to say Andy Carroll would be ruining his career if he went there right now"
"Jeff, I love Everton they're a big traditional club, but you wouldn't say to a player go and join them and win trophies would you?"
"They're a fantastic club, Everton, but come on Jeff they cant be seen as Champions League contenders"

Damned with faint praise.
He's right on all counts....

I like Merson and have always thought his comments were quite favourable when talking about Everton. As far as saying Walcott has made a mistake joining us... well, he could be right. He's a very attacking player and we're a club who approach home games with two defensive midfielders and one forward up-top.

Met him in a London park years ago Arsenal were training in there for whatever reason,I had my lad with me who was wearing his Everton shirt,both Merson and Wright shouted over and spent a good 10 minutes talking to my lad and were happy getting pictures taken,both players were very complimentary about Everton

I am fed up with the constant belittling of our club and everything about it ... according to MersArse ...Before Theo signed he was spouting we were not good enough for him ...and now that he has signed he has only come for the money .......this has pretty much gone on all season in one form or another
What’s his gripe ?
I reckon he put a pony on us to get CL spot.

But yeah. He's done a 180 on us for some reason.

Well, we are making a mess of things without any outside help.

I would rather a light shone on the issues at the club rather than propaganda from the Echo.

I don't especially care about what Merson has to say, rather him than the odious Pinocchio that Sky also employ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back