Media relishing Everton’s demise

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were one of the original Big 5 who instigated the Premier League but sat on our laurels while others progresses. After years of being let down by the amateurs on the board, we finally got some ambition to try break the Sky cartel and get back to the top, and it’s all gone tits up.

We should know our place basically.

Many are either to young or forget that.
We did drag our heels. Probably as much as spurs. But the past 5 years has done the damage. the recruitment. Marcel brands...and ive mentioned this before. The signing of alex iwobi was the day i really did think this club was on the slippery slope. Absolute huge statement of no idea what it was doing.

We have behaved with dignity. We have not got every English club banned from Europe. We have welcomed foreign teams to Goodison and befriended them - Bayern in 85 an example. We have behaved on our travels abroad....however that shower has somehow managed to get the media to wipe its memory of all their atrocious behaviour over the years.

In 1989 I cried for the 92 - literally. It was a tragedy. Meanwhile Heysel seems to be forgotten.

But I agree - I don't get how we are treated so badly by media and officials

Super league perhaps? We seem to be party poopers?
Very good post mate. We are not all wanting to see you relegated - loads of us are supporting you from afar and wishing you all the best.

I think it might be because you are such an iconic football club with a rich and historically successful history - and also coz you’ve spu*nked such an unbelievably massive amount of money over the past few seasons probably equal to most of the current top 6 net spend.

But you are not alone plenty of us proper fans from down to earth community football clubs want you to do well but we are not out there on social media overtly giving a balanced perspective for you.

I have faith that you’ll just about scrape survival this season and then kick on next season somewhere between middle and bottom third whilst Frank reshapes your obvious unbalanced squad which don’t look easy especially with the elite clubs friend known as the perversely counter-intuitive name of Financial Fair Play (which is anything but).

It’s easy to support the illustrious serial winners, but what’s important is family traditions, what’s in your heart, and loyalty to the club you love. My lot never win anything but I love em unconditionally and would defend them with my life. We are what we are. Believe me, you have lots to be happy about!

If you do come down I honestly believe you just might enjoy a season in the Championship it’s a great league. Not perhaps from your current viewpoint but it’s competitive and fast and 2 games a week (and get this - usually play on a Saturday like the old days!)

Good luck for the rest of the season, keep the faith and cheer your team and manager to the rafters to give your team the very best chance of getting out of the sh*t. You’re cheering your shirt not the plonkers wearing them.

As for media not liking you and wallowing in your demise - welcome to our world! ? ?

Reading some articles over the last few days I get the impression that the football meadow fraternity are really hoping for our relegation.

I knew there lots of kopites infesting the media but this seems much more than usual almost belittling the club.

Question what have we ever done to get this much hostility?
We had the audacity to try to step up to the next level and compete with the sky six and we failed miserably.
They wanted is to remain plucky little Everton the team with a lovely old ground but no threat to anyone.

Very good post mate. We are not all wanting to see you relegated - loads of us are supporting you from afar and wishing you all the best.

I think it might be because you are such an iconic football club with a rich and historically successful history - and also coz you’ve spu*nked such an unbelievably massive amount of money over the past few seasons probably equal to most of the current top 6 net spend.

But you are not alone plenty of us proper fans from down to earth community football clubs want you to do well but we are not out there on social media overtly giving a balanced perspective for you.

I have faith that you’ll just about scrape survival this season and then kick on next season somewhere between middle and bottom third whilst Frank reshapes your obvious unbalanced squad which don’t look easy especially with the elite clubs friend known as the perversely counter-intuitive name of Financial Fair Play (which is anything but).

It’s easy to support the illustrious serial winners, but what’s important is family traditions, what’s in your heart, and loyalty to the club you love. My lot never win anything but I love em unconditionally and would defend them with my life. We are what we are. Believe me, you have lots to be happy about!

If you do come down I honestly believe you just might enjoy a season in the Championship it’s a great league. Not perhaps from your current viewpoint but it’s competitive and fast and 2 games a week (and get this - usually play on a Saturday like the old days!)

Good luck for the rest of the season, keep the faith and cheer your team and manager to the rafters to give your team the very best chance of getting out of the sh*t. You’re cheering your shirt not the plonkers wearing them.

As for media not liking you and wallowing in your demise - welcome to our world! ? ?
Cheers mate - is that Millwall in your avatar? I really appreciate your good wishes. It is breaking my heart atm being an Evertonian. 94 and 98 were horrible but we survived somehow. I am really worried about our current mob.

Cheers mate - is that Millwall in your avatar? I really appreciate your good wishes. It is breaking my heart atm being an Evertonian. 94 and 98 were horrible but we survived somehow. I am really worried about our current mob.
Yes mate I am Millwall. I’m sure it is fella but you’re not staring into an abyss worst case scenario is you’ll be the best team and the second best club in the Championship next season and I honestly believe you will actually quite enjoy it and it would be a huge wake up call from which to take proper stock and actually build and lab for the future. You will defo get up next season if you don’t stay up this - but I think you’ll just about scrape survival this season. I’m not sure that’s the best outcome for you long term though - but of course it’s what you want. Good luck ?

Yes mate I am Millwall. I’m sure it is fella but you’re not staring into an abyss worst case scenario is you’ll be the best team and the second best club in the Championship next season and I honestly believe you will actually quite enjoy it and it would be a huge wake up call from which to take proper stock and actually build and lab for the future. You will defo get up next season if you don’t stay up this - but I think you’ll just about scrape survival this season. I’m not sure that’s the best outcome for you long term though - but of course it’s what you want. Good luck ?
Thanks again mate. Peter Farrell in my avatar was a neighbour of mine and captained Shamrock Rovers, Everton and Ireland. He was devastated when we were relegated in the 50s but he led us back although it took three seasons - he never stopped loving both clubs . I am sure you love Millwall as much as most of us on here bleed for Everton, and I wish you well.

You are most welcome

I think it's a mixture of lots of things: us being a circus, being the biggest club in decades to go down, and the media being full of kopites.

I did find some of the hostility from the media after the derby to be quite unusual though. Especially that hatchet job in the Guardian by Jonathan Liew. I can't remember any team to attract such vitriol for playing defensively before. Dozens of clubs have been playing like that for decades and not a peep before lol

Status
Not open for further replies.