Homepage Update: Mayor's Bramley Moore Dock Open Letter To Evertonians

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
GrandOldTeam submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Mayor's Bramley Moore Dock Open Letter To Evertonians
bramleymoore-1024x426.jpg

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson has issued an open letter to all Evertonian's to ease concern towards over proposals of Everton's new stadium at Bramley Moore Dock to become the main athletics venue for Liverpool's 2022 Commonwealth Games bid.

Architect Dan Meis prompted heated discussion this morning after insisting a temporary track wouldn't harm Everton's stadum design, and after Liverpool revealed details of its bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games whereby the new Everton stadium at Bramley Moore Dock would be the main athletics venue, with a temporary track installed, Mayor Joe Anderson has defended the plans to utilise Bramley Moore Dock in an open letter to Evertonians;

It is possible to accommodate a temporary track for CWG, but we will NOT compromise proximity, intimacy or atmosphere for football.
— danmeis (@Meisarch) June 16, 2017

| Open letter from @mayor_anderson to all Evertonians after the City of Liverpool unveils plan to host 2022 Commonwealth Games... pic.twitter.com/AxW4QZJKFs
— Everton (@everton) June 16, 2017

This is bad news. The size of the track means it will be impossible for the stands to be near the pitch (even if Dan Meis says otherwise). Very disappointing.

I don't think so mate. They've made it pretty clear it's our football stadium for years. And that won't be compromised for a one off event.

I'm not sure they could make it any clearer than they have.

And I love the little dig at West Ham in there too.

That's my concern too windy.

The central space isn't infinite. As I said in the stadium discussion thread;

We will all be in this stadium long after the architect is gone, long after the current regime have sold up and gone.

None of us are experts, there are people out there who will be better than the architect the club are using who will have differing views, a lot of design is clearly subjective...

What I do know, is any consideration towards athletics requires a compromise/workaround. Surely we're all in agreement over that?

There's a required space needed for athletics (look at Hampden) which means any stands are going to lose some of their steepness to accommodate the space required for that track. Look at Atletico an note the angle of the lower tier stands;

dcbjar2v0aaadw0-jpg.37763

dcbjasxv0aeyuak-jpg.37762

There's a reason you couldn't fit a running track into Goodison, Celtic Park, Westfalenstadion...

I don't think so mate. They've made it pretty clear it's our football stadium for years. And that won't be compromised for a one off event.

His point is that the track has to be so big to work, so naturally the stadium has to fit the whole 800m thing.

So it's simply a matter of space. If an 800m track can fit inside Goodison, whether temporary or not, that means we're cutting corners in terms of atmosphere and proximity to do it.

In short, I'm calling BS on that 'open letter'.

I hope you're right, but there is no way a stadium with a four stand structure could accommodate a track (they take up a lot of space) and I would worry about the rake of the stands as well as the slope would have to be quite gentle to accommodate a suspended or platform based track. I just don't want a stadium where the noise just disappears up the stands and out of the top of the stadium. I want teams to be scared of playing at BMD.

His point is that the track has to be so big to work, so naturally the stadium has to fit the whole 800m thing.

So it's simply a matter of space. If an 800m track can fit inside Goodison, whether temporary or not, that means we're cutting corners in terms of atmosphere and proximity to do it.

In short, I'm calling BS on that 'open letter'.

I'm calling just wait and see rather than make massively uneducated guesses. Pointless worrying about it as there's a million things we don't know about and it might not even happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.