Match of the Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short highlights definately reflect the game... unfortunately there weren't many highlights to show! We need to grow some teeth and have a right go at teams like that. Time for the front 3 to all step up a gear or two.

Match of the Day is now a parody of itself. Lineker hosts it with a cosy smugness and Shearer, Wright and Murphy alternate as his performing stooges. Can’t believe I am saying this but it was much better with Jimmy Hill.
At least you got some proper critical analysis with Jimmy. The overriding smugness from motd is horrendous.

There was little in the way of favouritisms with him, praise or not.

I can't agree with the comments that the game warranted limited coverage by MOTD. Many millions of fans can't get to the game, and don't have SKY or BT. They're entitled to see their club's players in a game, to see how they perform, and equally to watch good defending, even if these things don't always make for 'excitement ' or whatever ticks the boxes for the editors.

I can't agree with the comments that the game warranted limited coverage by MOTD. Many millions of fans can't get to the game, and don't have SKY or BT. They're entitled to see their club's players in a game, to see how they perform, and equally to watch good defending, even if these things don't always make for 'excitement ' or whatever ticks the boxes for the editors.
Not as biased as that FGS......

If it had not been for Jimmy Hill; None of these so-called footballers would have made a living out of the beautiful game. Jimmy Hill was set to
call our footy players out on strike (Good Labour-man Jimmy) He won the day and Johnny Haynes became the first £100 per week player. 1961,
I remember the great times starting at Everton, and Liverpool FC spending their 8th successive season in the second division, wonderful days
from Jimmy Hill, I remember him congratulating Everton on winning the 1962/63 1st Division Table he played for Fulham against us that day.

A draw was probably a fair result, a superbly took goal slightly masked we created virtually nothing in terms of chances, and we relied on being pretty solid at the back again.
This is definitely true, but is also how most football matches are won for mid table sides. We are still low on creative quality so must avoid thinking we didn’t win properly. Don’t concede, they miss half chances, one moment of individual quality, 3 points, home, bed.

A draw was probably a fair result, a superbly took goal slightly masked we created virtually nothing in terms of chances, and we relied on being pretty solid at the back again.
I mean, that’s how games are won and lost, isn’t it? This year, so far, we’ve been able to keep games tight enough that we’re always in them.

We made and finished one good chance (the one that Gray put across the goal was crying out for DCL to lash himself at it, too), and limited them to nothing. Closest they came was a speculative effort from distance that hit the beans.

If we’d had a striker on the pitch against Chelsea, Villa, Bournemouth and Forest we’d almost certainly be 6 or more points better off. We live in that densely populated area of the table where games are won and lost on very fine margins. For this season, give me a load of boring 1-0 wins and mid-table mediocrity or better.

When we go into the next couple of transfer windows with a balanced squad and a focus on beefing up the front line, THAT is when we can start looking up the table.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. What's important here, how we're reported or whether we continue to improve.

If it's under the radar, so be it. To be fair, we haven't done anything lately that warrants glowing coverage, so let's start to write that next chapter and make ourselves impossible to ignore

Same with pretty much every MOTD show tbh

They never do any proper analysis on Everton unless it’s a negative point to be made.

What can you do

It made out the only kicks of the ball we got was when we scored - other than that West Ham totally outplayed us .......

A total waste of time putting the game on tbh.....
Does it matter though...

The table is all that matters, so who cares what they think, as long as we know the wheel is turning.

Match of the Day is now a parody of itself. Lineker hosts it with a cosy smugness and Shearer, Wright and Murphy alternate as his performing stooges. Can’t believe I am saying this but it was much better with Jimmy Hill.
It was MILES better with Jimmy Hill pontificating to the camera, Bob Wilson with the news and pools, a main match and one or two minor matches. Each game was given enough time to allow the viewer settle into it and glean a true sense of the ebb and flow of the match. Nowadays, it's three minutes a match, five minutes of waffle, rinse, and repeat.

To be fair, MOTD was still good in the Des Lynam days with Alan Hansen. Same format, a few matches, and a goals round up. That is all that's needed.

The Big Match was, in my view, the best of the lot. Brian Moore on presentation and commentary duties, Jim Rosenthal with the news and pools, a bit of a lighter mood, and three regional games. Jeff Wayne's theme tune to top and tail. Perfect.

The official Premier League Review used to be the best of the modern productions - match highlights and no waffle. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.