Transfer Rumour Matías Vecino

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I don't. The Gbamin signing was a sensible move while the Delph signing was less so. I can understand signing a player or two like that for experience but do we really need another? If we sign Vecino on a 4 and 1/2 year deal as rumored, he will be 33 at the end of it. There's a less than 50% chance he is as good at the end of the contract as he is now, and I'm not sure he's above average now.

I just think it is an unnecessary and way too short term signing. I'd rather tough it out with the garbage we have now and try and do better in the summer.

We wont agree on this, your idea is to buy a load of wonderkids and watch them improve over time to be some harlem globetrotter superstar team.

Meanwhile we have just hired Carlo Ancellotii who really wants to have a crack at 4th next season, not in 3 years.

We want footballers, we are a football team, not a creche for manchild children.

On the other hand a football genius like Carlo has seen him at close quarters , been able to evaluate the other players that he has at his disposal and thinks he will improve the team.

I'll go with Carlo's opinion thanks.
As I said a bit ago our midfield is so bad the Mark Noble would improve it. That does not make it a smart signing.

We wont agree on this, your idea is to buy a load of wonderkids and watch them improve over time to be some harlem globetrotter superstar team.

Meanwhile we have just hired Carlo Ancellotii who really wants to have a crack at 4th next season, not in 3 years.

We want footballers, we are a football team, not a creche for manchild children.
I hope it works. But if it doesn't, like it didn't with Koeman when he tried the same thing, we will find ourselves in a moment just like this one in two to three years.

I hope it works. But if it doesn't, like it didn't with Koeman when he tried the same thing, we will find ourselves in a moment just like this one in two to three years.

Currently, in 2 or 3 years time, the only issue we will have is Vecino.

Everybody else will be 28 or younger and have resale value.

As I said, its not like we have signed a load of Bolasies.

Currently, in 2 or 3 years time, the only issue we will have is Vecino.

Everybody else will be 28 or younger and have resale value.

As I said, its not like we have signed a load of Bolasies.
If we don't play well guys like Gomes, Digne and Bernard will have very limited sell on values. But that's not even my main concern. My concern is we will be sitting here with a bang average team with few players having any hope of getting better and we will be again looking to buy players who can step in and play at the desired level despite not being able to attract those players.

Our midfield signings since 2014 have been Barry, McCarthy, Gueye, Cleverley, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Klaassen, Rooney, Gomes, Gbamin, Besic and Delph. Maybe time to think about something different as that is generously a 4 for 12 on getting good players. I know different people are in charge but this move is in the same line of thinking.

If we don't play well guys like Gomes, Digne and Bernard will have very limited sell on values. But that's not even my main concern. My concern is we will be sitting here with a bang average team with few players having any hope of getting better and we will be again looking to buy players who can step in and play at the desired level despite not being able to attract those players.

Our midfield signings since 2014 have been Barry, McCarthy, Gueye, Cleverley, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Klaassen, Rooney, Gomes, Gbamin, Besic and Delph. Maybe time to think about something different as that is generously a 4 for 12 on getting good players. I know different people are in charge but this move is in the same line of thinking.

We have gone from players relegated with Villa and Wigan to CL level players and Title winning players.

We have gone from players relegated with Villa and Wigan to CL level players and Title winning players.
Gueye is the relegated player and Delph is the title winner. You really don't have a point here. Quality players can quite clearly come from anywhere. You can only sign players who have won titles in the top 5 leagues and easily get relegated.

A loan maybe but I just can’t see us throwing money at a 28yr old midfielder... not unless Carlo is absolutely insistent that he’s signed.

Gueye is the relegated player and Delph is the title winner. You really don't have a point here. Quality players can quite clearly come from anywhere. You can only sign players who have won titles in the top 5 leagues and easily get relegated.

Well I consider Delph a better player than Gana.

Yes I know, nobody else will agree, but thats not important to me.

28 isnt even old, this whole convo is proper weird.

Well I consider Delph a better player than Gana.

Yes I know, nobody else will agree, but thats not important to me.

28 isnt even old, this whole convo is proper weird.
You're right about that the conversation where we are rating Delph over Idrissa Gueye is quite weird.

You're right about that the conversation where we are rating Delph over Idrissa Gueye is quite weird.

The fact is, we all agree we need a body in midfield, so it looks like we are getting 1 in.

From what ive seen he looks like what we need, a player who drives the ball forward, a good size and with bags of experience at the highest level, will he win the Ballon D'or in the future? I doubt it, but I doubt anybody thought Modric would when he was at Spurs.

Weirdly Modric did win the Ballon D'or at the age of 33, not 23.

The fact is, we all agree we need a body in midfield, so it looks like we are getting 1 in.

From what ive seen he looks like what we need, a player who drives the ball forward, a good size and with bags of experience at the highest level, will he win the Ballon D'or in the future? I doubt it, but I doubt anybody thought Modric would when he was at Spurs.

Weirdly Modric did win the Ballon D'or at the age of 33, not 23.
Modric of course was one of the 10 or 15 best midfielders in the world when he was 28 and Vecino is not that. If we were signing Pjanic or something my attitude would be a bit different.

We need a body. What we don't need is to sign someone on a 4 year deal to take over a spot for 6 to 18 months before we sign someone actually good. Plus we are paying 14m or whatever for a guy who ideally is backing up Gomes and Gbamin which is what we just spent 9m on Delph to do. One of those is a waste.

Modric of course was one of the 10 or 15 best midfielders in the world when he was 28 and Vecino is not that. If we were signing Pjanic or something my attitude would be a bit different.

We need a body. What we don't need is to sign someone on a 4 year deal to take over a spot for 6 to 18 months before we sign someone actually good. Plus we are paying 14m or whatever for a guy who ideally is backing up Gomes and Gbamin which is what we just spent 9m on Delph to do. One of those is a waste.

Its not a waste if it allows us to shift Snides and Iceland tho, the lack of bodies is the reason they are still at the club.

What would have happened?
We wouldn't have ended up playing useless gets like Davies, Schneiderlin, Delph or Sigurdsson so often this season. As a result we'd have conceded dramatically fewer goals. As a result of that we'd have been able to keep out many of those 90+ minute goals we've conceded. And as a result of that we'd very likely be a lot closer to Chelsea in the league than we are now.

Selling Gueye without a proven replacement brought in set the tone for our season.

Status
Not open for further replies.