2017/18 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you'd want Allardyce to act like that ranting spittle spraying idiot from across the park?

Conveniently ignoring Mourinho in your response. No I want my manager and club to defend a lad whos reported what he thought was a racist comment made against him and get branded a homophobe for a comment he made as a kid.

Some of our fans are more arsed about not looking like kopites than their own club and its youngsters.

I hope so but sadly not mate- Robertsons tweet has not been scrutinised by the FA which is typical bias.

Could you imagine one of Utd/Liverpools players being charged like holgate but a rival sides player not for the same incident - Jose/Klopp would be highlighting it as its what winners do/defending your club/players. Our manager and club on the other hand couldn't give a monkeys being walked all over.
I was thinking exactly the same mate. Assuming the quotes were actually linked to the guy and not somebody else with the same name.

I know it was doing the rounds on twitter and was posted on here, but it was never highlighted by the media. Maybe the FA are not even aware of it.

Holgates was all over SSN and BBC within hours of being dug up.

Maybe GOT should bring the matter up again through its own twitter account. See if the Red Echo pick it up and run with it. That should be interesting.

At the moment the whole thing just seems very unfair to young Mason who seems to have been singled out for this. Coming on the back of the racism episode he may be feeling a bit down at the moment and I just hope the club are giving him full support behind the scenes. Personally, I doubt that is the case sadly.

Conveniently ignoring Mourinho in your response. No I want my manager and club to defend a lad whos reported what he thought was a racist comment made against him and get branded a homophobe for a comment he made as a kid.

Some of our fans are more arsed about not looking like kopites than their own club and its youngsters.
Everybody ignores Mourinho he's starting to come across as being more than a little unhinged.Would you really want a representative of our club making statements like his.You'll just have to accept Holgate made a complaint that sadly he couldn't back up,the Klopites did their homework and threw him under the snowflakes bus.Time to move on.

So what do you want to happen? Punish him for being a racist anyway just because he is a Liverpool player?

Got to be very careful with stuff like this and it worries me that some people (not saying you) seem to be pushing for Firmino to get punished purely because he plays for our rivals without any actual solid evidence. Its bigger than club rivalry.

My take on it from the beginning is that Holgate had the best vantage point in the stadium to see and hear what went on and that if he was adamant it happened then I back him up. The FA report underlined that Holgate stood by his view, he didn't withdraw it or qualify his accusation, and he wasn't in any way saying he misunderstood what went on. The FA for their part stated they had no reason to doubt Holgate but that the means at their disposal were non-conclusive and it was unsafe to proceed.

Bottom line for me is that I back our player. I do so because he was the best placed to judge and I do so because he gives me no indication that his character is suspect. Firmino on the other hand was CLEARLY out of control and admitted to at least one act of verbal abuse...so why wouldn't I or anyone else assume that he was capapable of what Holgate also accused him of on the day?

My take on it from the beginning is that Holgate had the best vantage point in the stadium to see and hear what went on and that if he was adamant it happened then I back him up. The FA report underlined that Holgate stood by his view, he didn't withdraw it or qualify his accusation, and he wasn't in any way saying he misunderstood what went on. The FA for their part stated they had no reason to doubt Holgate but that the means at their disposal were non-conclusive and it was unsafe to proceed.

Bottom line for me is that I back our player. I do so because he was the best placed to judge and I do so because he gives me no indication that his character is suspect. Firmino on the other hand was CLEARLY out of control and admitted to at least one act of verbal abuse...so why wouldn't I or anyone else assume that he was capapable of what Holgate also accused him of on the day?

I honestly don't care who's player he is. I would back whoever is in the right and in this instance there is no side for me to stand on as the evidence is evidently not totally there.

That's not to say it didn't happen but I will always go with innocent until proven guilty regardless of football allegiances because its to much of a serious thing to just pick a side based on the colour of their kit.

I honestly don't care who's player he is. I would back whoever is in the right and in this instance there is no side for me to stand on as the evidence is evidently not totally there.

That's not to say it didn't happen but I will always go with innocent until proven guilty regardless of football allegiances because its to much of a serious thing to just pick a side based on the colour of their kit.
That's not what I've said though. My reasoning is on the basis that he (Holgate) had the best vantage point to know what actually happened. He'd have had the option (which I'm sure was offered) to retract and say it may have been an understanding but he chose to pursue it...and at seemingly great cost to himself, as his form went and he dropped off the radar at Everton. I also reason that we KNOW that Firmino was in every mood to taunt and insult that night and did do so. He was out of control.

On the basis of all that I'm inclined to back Holgate up and believe he's been on the receiving end of rough justice. Which he has been.

The racist Kopite gets off without censure and our player - grassed up by Murder Incorporated - gets a warning for something he did when a lad.

Imagine if that was the other way around - the Kult would be organising a march on the FA as we speak.

I hope the FA do not find out for a year when he was 17 did not wear underpants!! Or he thumped a relative when he was 10!!

Have I missed something is holgate injured because he is not even in the squad anymore.its all gone very quiet with him .whats happened anyone

Holgate: I've Proved I Can Play At Top Level

Mason Holgate says his performances in central defence during the 2017/18 campaign have given him the belief he can play at the top level - as he hailed the influence of Everton's senior defenders in helping to accelerate his development.

Holgate, who can also operate at right-back, made 21 first-team appearances last season and produced a string of accomplished performances at the heart of the Blues' defence.

The 21-year-old’s season was cut short in March after he underwent minor ankle surgery but he recovered sufficiently to take his place on the bench for the Toffees’ final game of 2017/18 at West Ham United and is now raring to go for pre-season training.

Holgate believes the experience he gained will stand him in good stead as Everton embark on a new era under the tutelage of new boss Marco Silva, who has spoken of his eagerness to give the Club's young players their chance to shine.

“It was the first season properly that I’ve played centre-back so it’s good to know that I believe I can do it there at this level,” Holgate told evertonfc.com.

“It’s something that will help me push on for next season, where I can improve even more.

“The season was a bit up and down for me, obviously with the injury, but I learned a lot in the games I played.

“When you look at centre-backs, people tend to be quite a bit older. I think, for me, to only be 21 and get the game time I have got is good. I’m learning from it and hopefully I can move on and get more experience.”

Holgate believes the Blues squad boasts an exciting blend of emerging talents and seasoned senior professionals.

The England Under-21 defender – who signed from Barnsley in 2015 – is one of a host of young Everton players who made their mark in the first team during the 2017/18 campaign.

Fellow 21-year-old Jonjoe Kenny deputised impressively for Seamus Coleman at right-back when the Republic of Ireland skipper was sidelined with a double broken leg, while fellow Academy graduate Tom Davies – still just 19 – cemented his status as an established figure in the first-team squad by making a further 43 appearances.

Beni Baninigime, also 19, made his breakthrough at senior level - showcasing his infectious energy in the middle of the park - and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who turned 21 in March, featured in more first-team games (44) than any other outfield player at the Club.

Holgate emphasised the role the senior professionals have played in encouraging the young players along and imparting vital words of wisdom.

He also feels that playing alongside such experienced, accomplished players in the Blues backline has been key in his development.

“They have helped me massively,” Holgate said. “I’m the only one [of the centre-backs] who is not a full international. And to be a centre-back, that experience is very important.

“It’s the same will all of the defenders, the full-backs, too. With the experience they’ve all got and the matches they have played, it makes it easier for me to drop in and learn a lot about the game.

“We have got some really good experienced players and a lot of young lads, too, but we blend together well in the dressing room. We have got a good vibe.”

Holgate: I've Proved I Can Play At Top Level

Mason Holgate says his performances in central defence during the 2017/18 campaign have given him the belief he can play at the top level - as he hailed the influence of Everton's senior defenders in helping to accelerate his development.

Holgate, who can also operate at right-back, made 21 first-team appearances last season and produced a string of accomplished performances at the heart of the Blues' defence.

The 21-year-old’s season was cut short in March after he underwent minor ankle surgery but he recovered sufficiently to take his place on the bench for the Toffees’ final game of 2017/18 at West Ham United and is now raring to go for pre-season training.

Holgate believes the experience he gained will stand him in good stead as Everton embark on a new era under the tutelage of new boss Marco Silva, who has spoken of his eagerness to give the Club's young players their chance to shine.

“It was the first season properly that I’ve played centre-back so it’s good to know that I believe I can do it there at this level,” Holgate told evertonfc.com.

“It’s something that will help me push on for next season, where I can improve even more.

“The season was a bit up and down for me, obviously with the injury, but I learned a lot in the games I played.

“When you look at centre-backs, people tend to be quite a bit older. I think, for me, to only be 21 and get the game time I have got is good. I’m learning from it and hopefully I can move on and get more experience.”

Holgate believes the Blues squad boasts an exciting blend of emerging talents and seasoned senior professionals.

The England Under-21 defender – who signed from Barnsley in 2015 – is one of a host of young Everton players who made their mark in the first team during the 2017/18 campaign.

Fellow 21-year-old Jonjoe Kenny deputised impressively for Seamus Coleman at right-back when the Republic of Ireland skipper was sidelined with a double broken leg, while fellow Academy graduate Tom Davies – still just 19 – cemented his status as an established figure in the first-team squad by making a further 43 appearances.

Beni Baninigime, also 19, made his breakthrough at senior level - showcasing his infectious energy in the middle of the park - and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who turned 21 in March, featured in more first-team games (44) than any other outfield player at the Club.

Holgate emphasised the role the senior professionals have played in encouraging the young players along and imparting vital words of wisdom.

He also feels that playing alongside such experienced, accomplished players in the Blues backline has been key in his development.

“They have helped me massively,” Holgate said. “I’m the only one [of the centre-backs] who is not a full international. And to be a centre-back, that experience is very important.

“It’s the same will all of the defenders, the full-backs, too. With the experience they’ve all got and the matches they have played, it makes it easier for me to drop in and learn a lot about the game.

“We have got some really good experienced players and a lot of young lads, too, but we blend together well in the dressing room. We have got a good vibe.”
I agree he’s a decent CB and I also rate Beni Baningeme.

I like the lad, looked like he worked very hard on his game and when he came back in at CB was much more aggressive in the air, he reads the game well and is a good athlete, and I like the attitude, didn't bottle the derbies or big games, and we have precious few we can say that about in recent time. Looked our best center halve by some distance last season performance wise and hope he gets a chance this season ahead the utter carthorses we've been picking

I like the lad, looked like he worked very hard on his game and when he came back in at CB was much more aggressive in the air, he reads the game well and is a good athlete, and I like the attitude, didn't bottle the derbies or big games, and we have precious few we can say that about in recent time. Looked our best center halve by some distance last season performance wise and hope he gets a chance this season ahead the utter carthorses we've been picking
Probably the only one out of our centre backs that I`d say 100% keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.