2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just knew it would happen, that he would get stick as soon as he has a badish patch.

Its what we do sooo well, a vicous circle of young lads / infact all players.

Plays well for team, fans hail him as better than the last young player...who is having a dip.
The raving goes on and he is linked to City and talk of International caps
He is now our "best defender" and should play ahead of the International lads...
Starts to have a bad games for whatever reason...and is awfull....out of depth, not good eough for us, champ quality etc etc
Then back to the first point now...using the next good young player, this time its Godfrey.

Its rinse n repeat on every single player player.

All based on current form, extreme reactions every single time, on every player.

Its like a race on twitter, on who can be the first to scream out that extreme view, especially the celeb fans who are starting podcasts, or beg for followers all the time.

Two things, he’s not a right back although done as well as could be expected of him there this season and secondly - something many fans now have no concept of - he’s out of form. Problem is you need replacements when this happens. At the start of this season many of you were saying he’s our best central defender. Maybe he wasn’t then, maybe he isn’t now, he may be very useful inexpensive cover though.

I just knew it would happen, that he would get stick as soon as he has a badish patch.

Plays well for team, fans hail him as better than the last young player...who is having a dip.
He is now our "best defender" and should play ahead of the International lads...
Starts to have a bad games for whatever reason...and is awfull....out of depth, not good eough for us, champ quality etc etc
Then back to the first point now...using the next good young player, this time its Godfrey.

All based on current form, extreme reactions every single time, on every player.

Its like a race on twitter, on who can be the first to scream out that extreme view, especially the celeb fans who are starting podcasts, or beg for followers all the time.
Yes people can be extreme and seesaw between opinions, but generally speaking, of course he's going to get stick when he's not playing well. You 'just knew it would happen' because it's totally normal and happens to every player at every club in every country across the world. Players get praised when they're good and criticised when they're bad, 'twas ever thus.

It’s when they oscillate between make him captain and sell that is a bit weird.

I criticise players but I like to think its balanced. Some on here go so far over the top its unreal. He's having a bad patch in a less favoured position. It's not really a surprise yet some would sell him.

...I’m not sure that’s the case, Pabbers. You’ll see I have consistently posted that Holgate wouldn’t get into the starting X1 when everybody is fit. Indeed, I posted similar after his outstanding performance in the Derby and got lots of stick for suggesting Coleman is still a superior RB.

I like Holgate as a squad player but I’ve never seen the adulation he gets on here. It’s all about opinion, no right or wrong but I know I’ve been consistent in my view of Holgate regardless of his form and I don’t think I’m alone in that.

Offers absolutely nothing going forward. Bad recruitment from brands and co.
Totally unbalanced

I thought we signed him pre-Walsh.

He's been written off before and people started raving about him after a midfield performance against Man United last season.

He's been poor this season but has been playing out of position. I've always thought that he was a bit too casual and gave away possession to easily.

CB is his preferred position and he's down the pecking order. I guess it's up to him to knuckle down and try to improve. We shall see.

I criticise players but I like to think its balanced. Some on here go so far over the top its unreal. He's having a bad patch in a less favoured position. It's not really a surprise yet some would sell him. much said post defeat that’s just letting steam off.
Don’t get me wrong I wanted them all sold about two minutes after full time on Saturday like.

I thought we signed him pre-Walsh.

He's been written off before and people started raving about him after a midfield performance against Man United last season.

He's been poor this season but has been playing out of position. I've always thought that he was a bit too casual and gave away possession to easily.

CB is his preferred position and he's down the pecking order. I guess it's up to him to knuckle down and try to improve. We shall see.

You are right he was signed by Martinez pre Walsh.

I think he is now 4th choice CB but he is hindered by the fact he has become 1st choice RB due to Colemans injuries and indifferent form. I think we he first got fit he was first choice with Keane at CB but the landscape has now changed. He may get back to that once we have a 1st choice RB. However it will be some fight to dislodge the players ahead of him.

I like Holgate but I really don't know where his future is. He's not a RB that's for sure but similarly I don't think he's big enough to be a top CB. He will never be a CB that forwards don't want to come up against.

The only way I can see him working is part of a 3 at the back - which is a difficult formation for a team to get right.

You are right he was signed by Martinez pre Walsh.

I think he is now 4th choice CB but he is hindered by the fact he has become 1st choice RB due to Colemans injuries and indifferent form. I think we he first got fit he was first choice with Keane at CB but the landscape has now changed. He may get back to that once we have a 1st choice RB. However it will be some fight to dislodge the players ahead of him.

Agree completely.

It'll be up to him to take his opportunity at CB if he gets the chance. It's probably the only position we have depth.

If we qualify for Europe you would think he'll get game time there.

I like Holgate but he’s definitely not good enough at right back for where we want to be. I hope we get Aarons as the lack of creativity from right back hurts us.

Status
Not open for further replies.