2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

All players get a new start when a new manager arrives.

Holgate has great ability, is obviously a leader in the group but in my opinion suffers from lack of concentration at times. I think he is a player that could very easily prosper under Benitez because all the elements are there for him to become really good... he is still young as centre halves go.

I don't understand the dislike for Michael Keane, he was first choice under CA and I don't see that change under Benitez.
Keane is a defender first and foremost and that is what managers want.

I think Mina will be the player to lose out and possibly be sold if there is a buyer.

Make or break season for him. He will probably start as 4th choice CB at best so won't make 18 if everyone is fit. This might be the kick up the backside he needs to knuckle down. There was no pressure last season as he knew he would make the bench at minimum but due to the number of games and lack of right backs there was always going to be another chance. If we get a new RB chances will be at a premium and he will need to impress. If he doesn't I can see him being sold next summer.

In fairness to Holgate, yes he had a terrible season, but I suspect he got precious little guidance from Ancelotti who was so laid back he was practically horizontal. Benitez could be a big influence on him.

Mason Holgate is a decent enough player and I personally don't think we should be so keen to offload the lad. I feel getting shut of the likes of Bernard, Tosun, and Delph etc. is more of a priority and where Marcel Brands should be directing his energy to make that happen instead.

In fairness to Holgate, yes he had a terrible season, but I suspect he got precious little guidance from Ancelotti who was so laid back he was practically horizontal. Benitez could be a big influence on him.
I agree he strikes me as a player who needs some guidance if he's to develop. A bit like John Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.