2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holgate is fine. He is a centre back playing as a full back currently and it shows.

However he has shown has ability in the past, is homegrown and can play in numerous positions, he will be an important part of our squad for years to come.

We will always need a squad, it cant always be about just the starting 11.

...I’m not sure that’s the case, Pabbers. You’ll see I have consistently posted that Holgate wouldn’t get into the starting X1 when everybody is fit. Indeed, I posted similar after his outstanding performance in the Derby and got lots of stick for suggesting Coleman is still a superior RB.

I like Holgate as a squad player but I’ve never seen the adulation he gets on here. It’s all about opinion, no right or wrong but I know I’ve been consistent in my view of Holgate regardless of his form and I don’t think I’m alone in that.
Sir, would the vaults back you in this and your defensive evaluations?

Agree completely.

It'll be up to him to take his opportunity at CB if he gets the chance. It's probably the only position we have depth.

If we qualify for Europe you would think he'll get game time there.

We will definitely need 4 CBs if we get Europe. I think he will start next season on the bench if everyone is fit.

I like Holgate but he’s definitely not good enough at right back for where we want to be. I hope we get Aarons as the lack of creativity from right back hurts us.

Absolutely need a right back. We have gone from a team that attacked down the left only Bsines and Pienaar. Then briefly we were 2 sided with Mirallas and Coleman on the right. Then Pienaar retired and Baines became less of a threat so we were one sided on the right. Then Coleman faded and we got Digne and Richarlison and became one sided on the left again. James when fit has addressed half the issue just need a quality RB.

Does ok defensively but is far too casual and sloppy when passing. I personally would have preferred to see Godfrey there as he does enjoy running with the ball,which Holgate doesn’t.Lets hope that in a few months we will never need to play either of them at RB.

Holgate is fine. He is a centre back playing as a full back currently and it shows.

However he has shown has ability in the past, is homegrown and can play in numerous positions, he will be an important part of our squad for years to come.

He is a good CB and DM when called upon, not a creative right back but not his fault. You are correct.

Yes people can be extreme and seesaw between opinions, but generally speaking, of course he's going to get stick when he's not playing well. You 'just knew it would happen' because it's totally normal and happens to every player at every club in every country across the world. Players get praised when they're good and criticised when they're bad, 'twas ever thus.

Its the extremes though, and its so bad with our fans.
Fans do often use the same point that its 'all fans' and its normal......to shift any negativity away from ours fan-base. BUt we do need to calm down, on both sides, the praise and criticism.

Holgate was lauded as our best defender...now he is not good enough for us.....dont you see an issue with that ?? And yes its not EVERY fan, but its the onese that shout the loudest, and demand th attendtion of others via podcasts, folowers etc. So THAT will be the voice heard on behalf of us.

Mason Holgate is a good footballer, at times he will be very good and other not so good,he can fill at right back when badly needed. Thats it, thats all it should be....just no need for the "he is not good enoug for this club" extreme view, as the same fan will want him to captain England when he next gets man of the match.

Its the extremes though, and its so bad with our fans.
Fans do often use the same point that its 'all fans' and its normal......to shift any negativity away from ours fan-base. BUt we do need to calm down, on both sides, the praise and criticism.

Holgate was lauded as our best defender...now he is not good enough for us.....dont you see an issue with that ?? And yes its not EVERY fan, but its the onese that shout the loudest, and demand th attendtion of others via podcasts, folowers etc. So THAT will be the voice heard on behalf of us.

Mason Holgate is a good footballer, at times he will be very good and other not so good,he can fill at right back when badly needed. Thats it, thats all it should be....just no need for the "he is not good enoug for this club" extreme view, as the same fan will want him to captain England when he next gets man of the match.
Yeah I can understand all that, I've said similar myself in the past. I suppose it was just the way your first post was worded, it made it sound like you were saying he shouldn't be getting criticised for these performances. Personally I've never been his biggest fan, I said last season that he had developed and was showing signs of proving me wrong, but it's now starting to look - to me - as though that was a period of good form, rather than this being a period of bad form, if that makes sense.

...I’m not sure that’s the case, Pabbers. You’ll see I have consistently posted that Holgate wouldn’t get into the starting X1 when everybody is fit. Indeed, I posted similar after his outstanding performance in the Derby and got lots of stick for suggesting Coleman is still a superior RB.

I like Holgate as a squad player but I’ve never seen the adulation he gets on here. It’s all about opinion, no right or wrong but I know I’ve been consistent in my view of Holgate regardless of his form and I don’t think I’m alone in that.

Look, its not directed at every fan, thats a given, surely.

Im finding myself removing dozens of fans from my feed every single game week, for thsese extreme statements....its like a competition of who can be the most extreme the fastest...the second a players does something bad.

I think with none of us at the game, its pushing people top vent much more on social media.

Its draining to read. I'mfinding myself more angry reading twitter and many posts on here, than I am watching the actual matches.

Allan is now getting the same type of treatment.

Saying a player is not playing well in a game is fine, but they are not saying that...we get....."he needs sending to the Championship" "Am I the ony one who thinks he is a terrible player" "Not good enough for us". They do it with all the players...dont they ever learn.....they love DCL now....they loved Davies, then hated him, then loved him again, and now not sure.....

Yeah I can understand all that, I've said similar myself in the past. I suppose it was just the way your first post was worded, it made it sound like you were saying he shouldn't be getting criticised for these performances. Personally I've never been his biggest fan, I said last season that he had developed and was showing signs of proving me wrong, but it's now starting to look - to me - as though that was a period of good form, rather than this being a period of bad form, if that makes sense.

I think im of the same view with him. I never agreed with a many that he was our best defender, and did also wonder if his great form was a blip, or just good form compared to others out-of-form type performances.

I do like him, I think he is the type of squad player you will always need to go deep into many competitions, but he does have his limitations.

Look, its not directed at every fan, thats a given, surely.

Im finding myself removing dozens of fans from my feed every single game week, for thsese extreme statements....its like a competition of who can be the most extreme the fastest...the second a players does something bad.

I think with none of us at the game, its pushing people top vent much more on social media.

Its draining to read. I'mfinding myself more angry reading twitter and many posts on here, than I am watching the actual matches.

Allan is now getting the same type of treatment.

Saying a player is not playing well in a game is fine, but they are not saying that...we get....."he needs sending to the Championship" "Am I the ony one who thinks he is a terrible player" "Not good enough for us". They do it with all the players...dont they ever learn.....they love DCL now....they loved Davies, then hated him, then loved him again, and now not sure.....

....spot on.

You've called him terrific a fair few times in the past.

...as I say, I don’t dislike the lad and really like his attitude. He’s definitely produced some terrific performances but I stand by my view that he’s a squad player & not a starter. I actually think he can come into a big game and produce such is his attitude but he’ll get found out as a regular starter.

Two things, he’s not a right back although done as well as could be expected of him there this season and secondly - something many fans now have no concept of - he’s out of form. Problem is you need replacements when this happens. At the start of this season many of you were saying he’s our best central defender. Maybe he wasn’t then, maybe he isn’t now, he may be very useful inexpensive cover though.

Someone sensible has hacked Chicos account :eek: lol

I know youre not really one for 'valuations' but what would you say would be the fees placed on our 4 senior centre backs if offers came in?

Just wondering...

I actually think Holgate might have done a bit better than Godfrey has at centreback but because Coleman has been injured he’s not had the chance. He’s the least of our problems for me, plenty of other areas in the team to sort out before we start moaning about a very good utility player.

Status
Not open for further replies.