2018/19 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t want to reignite this debate but maybe, just maybe he’s a right back.

Either way this loan can only be good

I don’t want to reignite this debate but maybe, just maybe he’s a right back.

Either way this loan can only be good

I have a feeling he might not quite be good enough at either. It would potentially make him a good squad man as if he was on the bench he would be cover for 3 of the back 4. However it may make it difficult for him to be a regular starter. I think the same about Callum Connolly.

Didn’t watch the full match but caught the Leeds goals on Sky. The third goal he was haring back trying to get into the RB position and failed, the fourth he lost his man and totally switched off , failing to get anywhere near cutting out the cross and allowing his opponent an easy tap in.
That’s why he’s on loan , to get exposure in these type of games against decent players who will exploit his mistakes, the key bit therefore is not that he’s making mistakes but if he will learn from them. WBA look to have a decent coaching set up , I’m hoping that they’ll also knock a little of the cockiness out of him by showing the mistakes, that he’s still got a lot to learn and helping him fix a few things.

Didn’t watch the full match but caught the Leeds goals on Sky. The third goal he was haring back trying to get into the RB position and failed, the fourth he lost his man and totally switched off , failing to get anywhere near cutting out the cross and allowing his opponent an easy tap in.
That’s why he’s on loan , to get exposure in these type of games against decent players who will exploit his mistakes, the key bit therefore is not that he’s making mistakes but if he will learn from them. WBA look to have a decent coaching set up , I’m hoping that they’ll also knock a little of the cockiness out of him by showing the mistakes, that he’s still got a lot to learn and helping him fix a few things.
All very fair. He just isn't ready to be on our first 11 though, as you say, despite protests from some on here.

He doesn't read the game well enough nor does he smell danger. He may learn these traits but he has to prove he has but we give him anymore game time.

Amazing how fans think players can become great by training, sitting on the bench or playing 90 mins every 7 weeks.

Has huge potential but the whole point of sending him on loan is to gain experience. He will only make mistskes, learn from them and improve as a player by playing. Which is what he's doing now at a good level. He will 100% come back a better player. Whether he is good enough to play for us remains to be seen but there is no substitute for regular playing time.

That goes for any player in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.