Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
2013/14.

Instant feel good factor back at Goodison. 'Boss' moments everywhere. Record Premier League points tally. For the first time in a long time, genuine hope and ambition that we had a manager who could bring some good times to the club - a trophy.

2014/15.

Domestically, a complete write off. Where has it all gone wrong?

Our pre-season effort was pathetic.
Second season syndrome?
Players unable to cope with the Europa League?
Players who played for a transfer/deal last season losing that motivation this season?
No wingers, not adequately replacing Pienaar/Deulofeu?,
Being found out?
Goodison pitch going to the dogs...

The excuses are far and wide.

We've been piss poor this season. Martinez has infuriated even the most patient of fans. Considering the squad, it's a fair argument to suggest we've been worse than any season under Moyes. In fact, points wise, we're comparable to Walter Smith...

BUT, the reality is... we won't get relegated, and a 5 year deal in June tells you he isn't going anywhere just yet.

He'll have another summer. He deserves it based on his first season.

He'll start a new season, having learnt more about Everton this season than ever before. He'll start that season (provided we don't win the Europa...) without any European commitments.

Review the manager in December...

Until then, do we really need to entertain the tedious, premature sacking the manager debate?...

I agree to some extent.

The main point being that any discussion of him being sacked is a massive waste of time because it just won't happen.

I'd even say if, and obviously if, we did go down, he'd still be boss.

I can't be rational towards him if he persists with Tim Howard in goal and either Barkley or Naismith out wide.

Fully agreed that the Martinez in or out polls cement our place as B.A.W.K. but me and him arent talking right now.

Pre season coming up this summer will be under the microscope more than ever before. We also are going to lose a name or two I reckon. The players won't be as patient as the fans.

That apart I reckon he can still turn it around.

I can't be rational towards him if he persists with Tim Howard in goal and either Barkley or Naismith out wide.

Fully agreed that the Martinez in or out polls cement our place as B.A.W.K. but me and him arent talking right now.

Pre season coming up this summer will be under the microscope more than ever before. We also are going to lose a name or two I reckon. The players won't be as patient as the fans.

That apart I reckon he can still turn it around.
That's what it is in my eyes. Just play 2 wingers, can't think of any good team who doesn't play 2 wide players out wide.

Massively disappointing this season. We are lucky there are 3 poorer teams below us, although after Sunday's display we look like we could get sucked into the relegation scrap. We don't look like winning anytime soon. Manager AND players have a lot to answer for.
Let's see what's done in the summer transfer window and assess things after the first 10 games next season.

2013/14.

Instant feel good factor back at Goodison. 'Boss' moments everywhere. Record Premier League points tally. For the first time in a long time, genuine hope and ambition that we had a manager who could bring some good times to the club - a trophy.

2014/15.

Second season syndrome?
Players who played for a transfer/deal last season losing that motivation this season?
Being found out?

We've been piss poor this season. Martinez has infuriated even the most patient of fans. Considering the squad, it's a fair argument to suggest we've been worse than any season under Moyes. In fact, points wise, we're comparable to Walter Smith...

BUT, the reality is... we won't get relegated, and a 5 year deal in June tells you he isn't going anywhere just yet.

He'll start a new season, having learnt more about Everton this season than ever before. He'll start that season (provided we don't win the Europa...) without any European commitments.

Until then, do we really need to entertain the tedious, premature sacking the manager debate?...
Cant you just merge ALL the sack the manager threads in to one?

2013/14.

2014/15.

Second season syndrome?
Being found out?

Yes.

I blame the groundstaff. That line that keeps appearing and regulary moving on the pitch. You see it on SS1 when Lukaku is on the ball. Must put the linesman right off no wonder he flags so much ffs.

I'm not 100% convinced we definitely won't be relegated. How can anyone be? We've shown we are capable of losing 5 or 6 on the trot, and have put in too many spineless performances. A couple of key injuries (Jags and Stones say) and I'd be seriously worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.