Votes: 56 39.7%
  • Martinez

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dholliday

deconstructed rep
I voted Allardyce a bang-average 5/10 in the other thread. His football is deffo the most boring, even flatter than the Walter Smith years. Tho' he slowly grinds points on the board so that we finish top 10. No win in 3 against the RS, only losing one of them is at least not as bad as those horrible 0-4's under Martinez.

In comparison, last 30 years:

Unsworth: 3/10 - I like him and think he would've come good eventually but based on what we saw it was hands-on-deck stuff. Wasn't boring, at least.

Koeman 6/10 - a solid 7th place, one fantastic win vs City, then a dreadful start to this season, horrible Euro campaign, saying that I think he would've turned the league form around Moyes-style.

Martinez 6/10 - as brilliant as 13/14 was, it was still only 5th without a trophy. The other two seasons had the odd moment of football flair, a lot of crud too, to the point we were wandering about getting into relegation battles had we held on to him. His positivity post-match became excruciating. Fun European campaign tho' nothing for the history books.

Moyes 7/10 - credit where it's due: he consistently made us best-of-the-rest. And one nicely-memorable Euro campaign tho' again nowhere close to a final. One FA Cup final and that's about it. Consistently-crap record against 'bigger' clubs. Too loyal to Utd cast-offs like Neville & Howard. To end on a positive: Moyes was better than most at the transfer market game.

Smith 3/10 - the period I was most absent from following Everton: just deathly dull, and nowhere close to top 10. Our last Anfield win was under Smith so there's that.

Kendall III 3/10 - it was always nice to see Howard in our dug-out, but there wasn't much happening on the pitch for us, apart from an extremely close shave with relegation.

Watson 3/10 - has as many games as Unsworth I think, and was about as effective.

Royle 8/10 - our only 8/10 manager of the Prem-era. The FA Cup counts for a lot, and so does the decent football we played and finishing 6th back in the mid-90's was a great return to form, sadly temporary until the Moyes-era kicked in. Real shame Joe left.

Walker 1/10 - easily the worst we've had. I can't remember a single redeeming feature, other than we miraculously didn't get relegated.

Kendall II 5/10 - not very good results, tho' we played some nice football at times, mostly thanks to Beardsley. At least no relegation fights.

Harvey 7/10 - as Doctor Who fans like to say, Harvey was my manager, the Kendall glory years being slightly before my time as a blue. Coming straight after a 10/10 like Kendall Mark I was always a big ask, but in hindsight Harvey did pretty well, on par with Moyes and better than most other chiefs we've had since.

What say yous, blues?

Royle 8/10 won a trophy enough said
Moyes 7/10 longevity, built a couple if decent sides, just missing a trophy
Martinez 6/10 gets a 6 based on first season performance and 2 semi finals. Based on last 2 league campaigns it wouldn't be close to 5.
Harvey 6/10 tough to follow in the footsteps of Kendall
Koeman 5/10 free spending not arsed tit
Unsworth 5/10 didn't get it right when the chance presented itself
Kendall mk 2 and 3 still gets a 5/10
Watson 5/10 due to a massive 3 points against Spurs
Smith 4/10 utterly depressing togger for the vast majority of his reign
Allardyce 2/10 fat headed tit who I still can't believe has his fat sweaty arse sitting in our managerial chair.
Walker 1.5/10 I enjoyed the 6-2 win over Swindon in his first game so that earns him an extra half a point

Big Joe, came in, saved us from certain relegation getting us up and running against that shower, went on to win us the fa cup as a bonus to boot.

The following season was probably the most enjoyable footie we've produced in the pl era, we were almost unbeatable when Kanchelskis and Limpar both played. We were also unbeaten against the rs under his tenure, just thinking of Andreis brace in front of the kop has me smiling now. It was a shame a late David Platt goal on the final day cost us 5th and Europe as that team more than deserved it.

It all went a bit sour in a quick space of time the following season but I still don't understand people voting Moyes ahead of him.

Royle 8/10 won a trophy enough said
Moyes 7/10 longevity, built a couple if decent sides, just missing a trophy
Martinez 6/10 gets a 6 based on first season performance and 2 semi finals. Based on last 2 league campaigns it wouldn't be close to 5.
Harvey 6/10 tough to follow in the footsteps of Kendall
Koeman 5/10 free spending not arsed tit
Unsworth 5/10 didn't get it right when the chance presented itself
Kendall mk 2 and 3 still gets a 5/10
Watson 5/10 due to a massive 3 points against Spurs
Smith 4/10 utterly depressing togger for the vast majority of his reign
Allardyce 2/10 fat headed tit who I still can't believe has his fat sweaty arse sitting in our managerial chair.
Walker 1.5/10 I enjoyed the 6-2 win over Swindon in his first game so that earns him an extra half a point

That makes for a depressing 30 years that. Being 30, I know no different though. Almost makes me yearn for Brown Shoes again- at least we got closeish to some silverware.

Very generous to Koeman.

The guy has left us in an absolutely horrible state of affairs, I’d give him 1/10.

I still would've got rid as 6/10 isn't good enough. At best he was a Moyes without the bargain hunting, at worst a NEA Walter Smith. We had similar awful starts under Moyes and still ended up top 8. I don't think Koeman would've relegated us.

Big Joe with an actual board and we might be nowhere near the mess we're in now. Balking at 3 million for Flo and a defender seems a pathetic way to screw your own club for nearly decade.

Joe gets a lot of slack but it was his decision to resign and leave us in that mess. It was only 2 or 3 years later that the board decided paying top wages for has-beens like Gazza, Hughes & Ginola was a good idea. Had Joe seen it out he would've had that budget instead.

I still would've got rid as 6/10 isn't good enough. At best he was a Moyes without the bargain hunting, at worst a NEA Walter Smith. We had similar awful starts under Moyes and still ended up top 8. I don't think Koeman would've relegated us.

Joe gets a lot of slack but it was his decision to resign and leave us in that mess. It was only 2 or 3 years later that the board decided paying top wages for has-beens like Gazza, Hughes & Ginola was a good idea. Had Joe seen it out he would've had that budget instead.
Maybe they had the money all along but thought "proven" players like the retired trash we signed were the better option.

That makes for a depressing 30 years that. Being 30, I know no different though. Almost makes me yearn for Brown Shoes again- at least we got closeish to some silverware.

The PL era has become the Dark Ages of our history. We can all debate about what circumstances/bad luck/mismanagement led to this, but looking at the manager list, you can't help but wonder what could have been had better appointments been made at the time. It seems like the board from the PL beginning opted for the risk free, known quantity, "Better the devil you know" - Kendall mk2-3, or they would try to think outside the box and ended up with a complete barmpot - Walker. Out of the rest, including Smith and Watson, only Royle could give us hope and a taste of what could be.

After all that, Moyes came in, looking like the fresh faced unknown that saved us from the drop, and quickly became the pragmatic, risk free PL manager of choice that fixed our place in the order of things (plucky little Everton), and that is why I believe he lingered for so long (keep us in the PL, never mind winning cups or big games or other such nonsense).

You could argue Martinez broke that mold, and we became a bit more "edgy" (at least for the first two thirds of his honeymoon season), but we know how his tenure played out.

So, here we are again, going back to the boring pragmatists (Koeman, Allardyce), at a time when we are surrounded by "plucky little" wannabes . Makes you wonder if the board will ever have the guts to be ambitious and take a risk ever again. Yep, that's a pretty depressing 30 years.

Really hoping the Dark Ages end this summer!!!

Martinez is 5 at best, the fact he took over what was our golden generation and took it backwards is testament to that. Koeman probably a 5 too but he got handed a load of crap from Walsh.

Royle walks this by a mile with Moyes fair behind afterwards in 2nd.

Royle 8/10 - inherited a mess saved us from relegation , won a trophy
Moyes 6/10 -inherited a mess saved us from relegation good league record apart from two seasons pity never kicked on and got a trophy
Harvey 5/10 -Kendall tough act to follow - had a brilliant side which did not do as well as we should have - also R/S had a top side ( again )
Martinez 4/10 - first season great start , other managers worked him out he did not have a plan B or a defensive coach , players got confused demotivated , terrible 2nd / 3rd seasons
Managers since the above - what is there to say !

Therefore what is it we are not getting right , if we look at the lack of trophies in last 30 years managers and correlate this with the PL since its inception 26 years ago being as we started as one of the founders and top teams

TBH - I believe its not just the managers its got to be a partnership between Board , Management , Players - some points IMO to ponder - not giving the managers enough time ? apart from Moyes ( were you could say Moyes maybe had a lack of funds ? ) , Board not progressing with bringing in investment , when investment arrives - Board Inept decision making regarding appointments , Lack of proper leadership were there is Investment linked to a qualified team of experts in their respective areas of responsibility

I'll just mark the ones I've been able to watch.

Moyes 7/10- did great with what he had available but instilled a 'woe is me' and defeatist attitude at the club

Martinez- 5/10- Great first season after a lot of doubt from supporters but you could see the flaw in his system which he never changed.

Koeman- 0/10- Arrogant and useless Dutch ass. Will take a doing for anyone to become more hated than him from me.

Fat Sam- 2/10- Terrible football

From mid 90s:-

Walker : 1.5 very crap would have relegated the club if he was not sacked
Royle : got 6-6.5 in the league overall 8 because he won the FA Cup
HK MarkIII : 2 barely survived that season
Smith : 3 crap relegation battler
Moyes : 7-7.5 for his consistent league performances top 6/7 side
Martinez : 4 got found out after his first season
Koeman : 5.5 okay 1st season but he and Walsh got it wrong on these transfers
Allardyce : 4.5 should get 8th or 9th this season boring football

...Koeman certainly the worst for me given all of the others had to manage through a hand-to-mouth existence. Moyes might have been in a comfort zone keeping us stable but some of his transfer business was excellent so he’d be my no1.

Status
Not open for further replies.