2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced hes a top class manager. Two opportunities to go into the top 4 and push on and we flopped big time. I don't think he has the charisma or aggression to manage at the top level.

What do you mean by aggression ?

I just got this mental picture of some lunatic scrapping on the line with someone every week.

Look at some of the greatest managers of all time - Kendal, Bobby Robson etc, charming, charismatic yes, aggressive no.

We need to change focus from bringing in players as a priority to bringing in a real top-class manager. Silva is not good enough. Without significant change within the coaching staff, we will endure another fruitless, mid-table season.

He's just so out of his depth that its painful. It's not even his fault, he's just the latest laughably bad managerial appointment the club has made. Martinez, Koeman, Rhino, BFS and Silva they're all garbage. Silva fits right in with that group. Maybe he'll probably this season out and maybe some of the next but eventually even the happy clappers will turn on him and the morons who run us will sack and replace him with another patsy.

I'm not convinced hes a top class manager. Two opportunities to go into the top 4 and push on and we flopped big time. I don't think he has the charisma or aggression to manage at the top level.

what has he even done to make you think he ever was a top mamanger

his prem record stinks... 30% win rate

hes only ever won a greek league with Greeces top side who have won it 90% of the time. that's hardly an achievement.

I see AVB is doing well at Marseille..

hes got a Prem win of around 50% with spurs over 150 games.. and won numerous trophies in lots of different leagues...

Silva is not the problem. It's a 7th place squad talent-wise, no question. It's going to take another summer window unfortunately.

So what you are really saying here, is that he doesn’t have it in him to get 10 or 20% more out of players, basically as he’s not got those qualities.

That’s why we were finishing between 4th to 6th with Moyes regularly.

That’s why Liverpool are doing so well.

Good managers can get a bit extra out of players, or are tactically astute and can set up to nullify their weaknesses.

Looks to me like Silva has neither of those qualities in his locker.

What do you mean by aggression ?

I just got this mental picture of some lunatic scrapping on the line with someone every week.

Look at some of the greatest managers of all time - Kendal, Bobby Robson etc, charming, charismatic yes, aggressive no.

I was thinking along the lines of Ferguson, Mourinho even Guardiola. They project a winning nonsense mentality.

I was thinking along the lines of Ferguson, Mourinho even Guardiola. They project a winning nonsense mentality.

I see what you’re getting at but I think it’s down to the individual manager, as going nuts on the touchline all the time doesn’t always equate to success on the pitch.

The manager has either got it or he hasn’t.

So what you are really saying here, is that he doesn’t have it in him to get 10 or 20% more out of players, basically as he’s not got those qualities.

That’s why we were finishing between 4th to 6th with Moyes regularly.

That’s why Liverpool are doing so well.

Good managers can get a bit extra out of players, or are tactically astute and can set up to nullify their weaknesses.

Looks to me like Silva has neither of those qualities in his locker.
Liverpool have a top 2 squad and are in the top 2 though, they're not really overachieving to any great extent, despite the fact that I agree that Klopp is a top quality manager.

If Silva could get this squad into the top 6 I would think he was an absolutely brilliant manager, because it simply isn't good enough to be there. If he finishes 7th I think he'll have done well, 8th and I think he'll be about par. Par isn't great, but if we're going to consider sacking managers for not exceeding targets, we'd better have a good plan in place for replacing them.

Facts ‘n’ figures apart, I recall a former player writing that Silva’s greatest characteristic was identifying latent qualities in players and turning them into better players. Not exactly the words used in the article, but that was about the top and bottom of it. So, have we seen any evidence to support this since his appointment?

Can’t say that I have really.

Facts ‘n’ figures apart, I recall a former player writing that Silva’s greatest characteristic was identifying latent qualities in players and turning them into better players. Not exactly the words used in the article, but that was about the top and bottom of it. So, have we seen any evidence to support this since his appointment?

Can’t say that I have really.
A lot of players have improved under him to be fair. It's hard to say whether that's due to great management, natural progression, tactics suiting people better or what, but I don't think there's any doubt that Pickford, Richarlison, DCL, Sigurdsson and even Keane have improved since the start of last season. He also probably got more out of Gueye and Zouma than anyone else has.

I'd personally give him the length of his contract,unless there was an absolute disaster,I dont see any reason to sack him because the next manager will just be another safety appointment,a man who has prem experience/had a half decent season,its what we do,stay average,stay in this league

Status
Not open for further replies.