• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see what you're saying mate, IMO though I don't see it working with this squad of players no matter how long Silva persists, we just look all over the gaff, you can actually see players looking at each other during games puzzled. Now obviously it's down to Silva not having the right type of players to suit how he wants us to play, that's why I think he needs to try and find another way.

At the end of the day Martinez being stubborn by sticking to a way of playing that was obviously not working was a factor in his downfall, so Silva needs to show he can be flexible tactically.
I agree, and I also think that while the idea of sticking with a style is good, great managers dont do this. Sure, they have one core style that defines their play, but often they are switching tactics to keep other teams off balance, and to attack another teams core weakness. It easier to never change tactics, but its also lazier, and not effective. And for me, the core sign that sticking to a plan so that players can eventually get better and better in a system is working is that the team actually improves. But we have the opposite problem, the team isnt improving, its getting worse, showing that WITH players getting more familiar and familiar with the system, the system itself is bad.

I think that whenever a manager has a good first initial run(as he also had at Watford), but then his teams get bad the next season, or at the end of the season, its a giant red flag that either A. His tactics are really poor, and they only have initial success because teams are unfamiliar with them, until they have time to study them and adapt(I.E. change, Silvas dirty word), or B. Hes a terrible manager of men, and so even if tactics are okay, he doesnt know how to manage players and then loses them without knowing how to get them back. The game is mental as well as phyiscal and tactical.

Anytime a manger says he wont change when things are going bad, thats a death knell for me, and sure sign they have lost it. For them, its no longer about winning and success, and figuring things out, its then about proving doubters of their system wrong.

I can see what you're saying mate, IMO though I don't see it working with this squad of players no matter how long Silva persists, we just look all over the gaff, you can actually see players looking at each other during games puzzled. Now obviously it's down to Silva not having the right type of players to suit how he wants us to play, that's why I think he needs to try and find another way.

At the end of the day Martinez being stubborn by sticking to a way of playing that was obviously not working was a factor in his downfall, so Silva needs to show he can be flexible tactically.

I haven't seen the players puzzled, so if that's the case it's bad news. I also think that a big element of being a manager today is making the fans feel good about the work you're doing, and somehow, even with his limited English, he could reassure us that he's got some ideas of how to improve, and he may be making some improvements. Just doing the same old thing isn't going to suddenly click. He might say ' we are working harder than ever' or 'we have analysed the mistakes and are working on them' or 'we know where we have gone wrong in the past few months and we are going to make some changes to improve'...he could have said anything and we'd lap it up, cos we're always looking for hope.

Being flexible is really important, because even Barcelona, the new Man City and some other top teams have done it to succeed.

When you have a team like Leicester sacking managers for being 12th in the table, and us happy to be around the same position it says it all. Aside from the year they won it they would be happy with 12th. No doubt we will stuff Cardiff and things will be forgotten for a while.
I always find it weird how the media talk about Leicester having “supportive” owners. They sacked Pearson after he kept them up, sacked Ranieri after he won them the league (!), sacked Shakespeare, and have now sacked Puel!

I agree, and I also think that while the idea of sticking with a style is good, great managers dont do this. Sure, they have one core style that defines their play, but often they are switching tactics to keep other teams off balance, and to attack another teams core weakness. It easier to never change tactics, but its also lazier, and not effective. And for me, the core sign that sticking to a plan so that players can eventually get better and better in a system is working is that the team actually improves. But we have the opposite problem, the team isnt improving, its getting worse, showing that WITH players getting more familiar and familiar with the system, the system itself is bad.

I think that whenever a manager has a good first initial run(as he also had at Watford), but then his teams get bad the next season, or at the end of the season, its a giant red flag that either A. His tactics are really poor, and they only have initial success because teams are unfamiliar with them, until they have time to study them and adapt(I.E. change, Silvas dirty word), or B. Hes a terrible manager of men, and so even if tactics are okay, he doesnt know how to manage players and then loses them without knowing how to get them back. The game is mental as well as phyiscal and tactical.

Anytime a manger says he wont change when things are going bad, thats a death knell for me, and sure sign they have lost it. For them, its no longer about winning and success, and figuring things out, its then about proving doubters of their system wrong.

Good points there mate.

I always find it weird how the media talk about Leicester having “supportive” owners. They sacked Pearson after he kept them up, sacked Ranieri after he won them the league (!), sacked Shakespeare, and have now sacked Puel!

When the players don’t respond to the manager, that’s the end no matter who is in charge. Sadly players power in the modern game is getting out of control. What we see kepa doing yesterday is just the tip of the iceberg, I’m sure there are more more incident that is kept from public eyes and it’s affecting quite a number of teams at the moment.

When the players don’t respond to the manager, that’s the end no matter who is in charge. Sadly players power in the modern game is getting out of control. What we see kepa doing yesterday is just the tip of the iceberg, I’m sure there are more more incident that is kept from public eyes and it’s affecting quite a number of teams at the moment.
It’s probably been said many times before, but football could finally be near a tipping point. Almost everyone you speak to is falling out of love with the game, and it is over saturated in terms of coverage. It tends to be it takes a while for the market to catch up, but surely it has reached a stage where a crash is due?

If you look at pro sports in the US as an example, even the NFL is struggling for ratings compared to how it used to perform. How much joy do you even get from watching the game now? The competition is less, the talent is all concentrated in a few big teams, there is a lack of surprise in terms of results. Even the last World Cup was rather unenjoyable, and a pale imitation of years past.

Football forums on the whole are full of fans saying they basically hate their own players, which is such a world away from even the 90s and 2000s when you would have players who seems to “play for the jersey,” or at least make an effort to make it look like they did.

I wonder if it is even worse now (from the financial times in 2017):

Premier League football suffered the biggest drop in viewing on Sky TV for at least seven years, raising questions over the popularity of live sports as well as the sustainability of a lucrative source of funding for English clubs.

Average viewing on Sky’s live TV channels fell 14 per cent over the past season even after it paid two-thirds more to show the matches under the latest three-year deal with the Premier League at about £10m per game.

Total viewing hours also fell 6 per cent over the course of the season for Sky, which spent a total of £4.2bn to show 126 Premier League games every year, according to figures from Sky and BT based on the Broadcasters Audience Research Board (Barb).

Don't be so silly. We're clearly not happy - Moshiri said himself during the AGM meeting that we need to be doing better. Difference is, Puel has had 16 months or so and Silva around half of that.

Genuinely believe some of our fanbase will be distraught if Silva manages to turn his fortunes around.

It`s not hard to spot them mate.

They " infest " the Silva and post match thread, then disappear if we win.

Tedious bores.

Don't be so silly. We're clearly not happy - Moshiri said himself during the AGM meeting that we need to be doing better. Difference is, Puel has had 16 months or so and Silva around half of that.

Genuinely believe some of our fanbase will be distraught if Silva manages to turn his fortunes around.

Not sure about this, for me even if we win the Derby i would still want him sacked Monday morning, winning one game dosent turn it around, we need to be looking towards next season now, and we have seen more then enough.
Besides no one has been able to say what is classed as turning it around, beating Cardiff isnt, neither Liverpool. Evertonians want to see us winning and competing in competitions, if he does that then fine, no fan will be distraught, shocked maybe, but certainly not distraught

No one else has any responsibility? Not the players? Not the people who thought Genk Tosun and Oumar Niasse were strikers? Not the people who authorized massive wages for countless other schlubs?

Everton is a mess right and it isn’t entirely Silva’s fault. I would like to give him more than a few months to see if he can sort it out.
This mess isn't entirely silvas, your right, but he is only making the mess worse. He is not capable of getting a club out of a bad run.

Already proven at his 2 previous prem clubs

Everton won't change playing style despite sitting in 11th place, says Roberto Martinez...
“You don’t win games by changing the style,” said Martinez. “You win games by being very good at what you do. Changing only brings doubts... Are we going to concede goals? Of course we are. Are we going to lose games? Of course we are. But it’s important we know the way we want to play and that is never, ever going to be changed."

No radical changes for Everton boss Marco Silva as he looks to halt slump...
Rather than looking at making significant changes, Silva insists his current philosophy just needs better application to be successful and that is what he has been focusing on...
“Radical? No. because if in February you try to change everything radically that means everything we did doesn’t make sense,” said the manager when asked whether he had considered shaking things up during their long break. “If you did very good things the first three or four months we have to understand why we started to not do the same. It is clear to me the details are making a big, big difference in our results."

Everton won't change playing style despite sitting in 11th place, says Roberto Martinez...
“You don’t win games by changing the style,” said Martinez. “You win games by being very good at what you do. Changing only brings doubts... Are we going to concede goals? Of course we are. Are we going to lose games? Of course we are. But it’s important we know the way we want to play and that is never, ever going to be changed."

No radical changes for Everton boss Marco Silva as he looks to halt slump...
Rather than looking at making significant changes, Silva insists his current philosophy just needs better application to be successful and that is what he has been focusing on...
“Radical? No. because if in February you try to change everything radically that means everything we did doesn’t make sense,” said the manager when asked whether he had considered shaking things up during their long break. “If you did very good things the first three or four months we have to understand why we started to not do the same. It is clear to me the details are making a big, big difference in our results."

View attachment 54870
This will probably be his downfall among fans and his job, He's living by the sword like Martinez did and everyone seen the problems yet the manager stuck to his guns and it blew up in his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.