• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we don't show enough urgency, and don't have enough of a work ethic for the team as a whole, to cancel out a clear lack of quality in some areas with hard work. You cannot find a subsitute for quality but I look at our games and find a lot of the time that a shift hasn't been put in by enough of the players on the day.

That has been as issue for the most part since Martinez second season, so recurring under several managers.

We are a side that is easy to bully and pen back, and find it difficult to soak up a period of sustained pressure without conceding.

All of that is a generalisation I accept, but still hard to reconcile.

Conceded first
  1. Huddersfield (H) - draw
  2. West Ham (H) - lost
  3. Arsenal (A) - lost
  4. Man Utd (A) - lost
  5. Liverpool (A) - lost [hard to count this like due to when the goal was scored!]
  6. Newcastle (H) - draw
  7. Man City (A) - lost
  8. Brighton (A) - lost
  9. Leicester (H) - lost
  10. S'ton (A) - lost
  11. Wolves (H) - lost
  12. Man City (H) - lost
  13. Watford (A) - lost
That is absolutely kin disgusting. Sack the entire backroom staff, and I mean all of them.

Off the top of my head (league games):

Scored first
  1. Wolves (A) - draw
  2. S'ton (H) - win
  3. B'mouth (A) - draw
  4. Fulham (H) - win
  5. Leicester (A) - win
  6. Palace (H) - win
  7. Brighton (H) - win
  8. Cardiff (H) - win
  9. Watford (H) - draw
  10. Spurs (H) - lost
  11. Burnley (A) - win
  12. B'mouth (H) - win
  13. Huddersfield (A) - win
Conceded first
  2. West Ham (H) - lost
  3. Arsenal (A) - lost
  4. Man Utd (A) - lost
  5. Liverpool (A) - lost [hard to count this like due to when the goal was scored!]
  6. Newcastle (H) - draw
  7. Man City (A) - lost
  8. Brighton (A) - lost
  9. Leicester (H) - lost
  10. S'ton (A) - lost
  11. Wolves (H) - lost
  12. Man City (H) - lost
  13. Watford (A) - lost
So yep, to me there's a clear issue in that as soon as we concede, this weak squad just caves. To have only got two points from losing positions is disgraceful.

Equally, we haven't dropped many points when we've got ourselves ahead.
That list is so scary. It just screams out that we're a team of bottlers. I wonder how it compares to other clubs.

The players are equally to blame as well.

And tbf as @Lanolin has rightly pointed out, it's not that we have actually caved in all of them. We just haven't had the quality to get the goals.

Not an excuse for any of them, it's a dreadful record.
I get that to an extent but we have brought in almost a brand new team over the last 3 windows including the ones Brands brought in. If you are including those players as being suspect mentally as well than that's just terrible recruitment from Brands as well, no?

"Unlike other modern coaches such as Jurgen Klopp, the Portuguese’s first thought is to keep a clean sheet, rather than to out-gun their opponents. Even at a side with a crowd as demanding of dominating, attacking football like Olympiakos, Silva’s priority was organisation and defensive structure. His main form of attack is counter attack – the Greeks even used to joke that his side were so eager to counter, they would often consider giving the ball to their opponents just to break on them."

WTF??

"Unlike other modern coaches such as Jurgen Klopp, the Portuguese’s first thought is to keep a clean sheet, rather than to out-gun their opponents. Even at a side with a crowd as demanding of dominating, attacking football like Olympiakos, Silva’s priority was organisation and defensive structure. His main form of attack is counter attack – the Greeks even used to joke that his side were so eager to counter, they would often consider giving the ball to their opponents just to break on them."

WTF??
Honestly I can see that being true. As I've been saying, there's very little wrong with our overall defensive structure, and in open play we look quite solid. We just look terrible from set pieces (and have a couple of poor defenders but there's not a lot he can do about that just yet). The counter attacking thing has a lot of truth to it, and goes some way to explaining what some are trying to claim is a mental issue above. When teams score first against us and don't need to come at us, we find it very difficult to get back into the game because we can't counter them. When we take the lead and make teams have a go, we are better at scoring again and winning the game. It's very much a tactical/quality issue rather than a mental one in my opinion.

Scored first
  1. Wolves (A) - draw
  2. S'ton (H) - win
  3. B'mouth (A) - draw
  4. Fulham (H) - win
  5. Leicester (A) - win
  6. Palace (H) - win
  7. Brighton (H) - win
  8. Cardiff (H) - win
  9. Watford (H) - draw
  10. Spurs (H) - lost
  11. Burnley (A) - win
  12. B'mouth (H) - win
Conceded first
  2. West Ham (H) - lost
  3. Arsenal (A) - lost
  4. Man Utd (A) - lost
  6. Newcastle (H) - draw
  7. Man City (A) - lost
  8. Brighton (A) - lost
  9. Leicester (H) - lost
  10. S'ton (A) - lost
  11. Wolves (H) - lost
  12. Man City (H) - lost
  13. Watford (A) - lost
So yep, to me there's a clear issue in that as soon as we concede, this weak squad just caves. To have only got two points from losing positions is disgraceful.

I think that says a lot about the mentality of this squad

Scored first
  1. Wolves (A) - draw
  2. S'ton (H) - win
  3. B'mouth (A) - draw
  4. Fulham (H) - win
  5. Leicester (A) - win
  6. Palace (H) - win
  7. Brighton (H) - win
  8. Cardiff (H) - win
  9. Watford (H) - draw
  10. Spurs (H) - lost
  11. Burnley (A) - win
  12. B'mouth (H) - win
Conceded first
  2. West Ham (H) - lost
  3. Arsenal (A) - lost
  4. Man Utd (A) - lost
  6. Newcastle (H) - draw
  7. Man City (A) - lost
  8. Brighton (A) - lost
  9. Leicester (H) - lost
  10. S'ton (A) - lost
  11. Wolves (H) - lost
  12. Man City (H) - lost
  13. Watford (A) - lost

I know I know another Moyes era shout but I remember conceding back then and looking forward to a good fight back. and also if we scored first we'd like go on to win. especially 2005 you'd stick a fork in it at 1 nil up.

but a striker won't help a team that doesn't really create much and cannot defend ( I agree we do need one though, just think that's an excuse to let him off the hook )
Of course it would!
It gives us a focal point, someone to play off, someone to run the channel, someone to hold the ball to sustain pressure, someone to aim at for crosses.

Our strikers are absolute pony. And to think, some of you didn't want Batsyuayi!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.