• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure what all the moaning is about, in terms of the manager.

We’re two points off being in 7th behind United.

Of course you can always aspire to better but we do not have the players to beat the top 6 and we’re there or thereabouts to be finishing as the best of the rest.

We don’t even have a proper PL quality striker.

It’s disingenous to say we should be much higher than we are with the squad we have.

Not sure that’s right. In 07 they finished 2 points ahead of us. In 08 they finished 11th with 46 points, 19 behind us. In 09 they were 12 points behind us. I’d say 2010 was the point from which have they been consistently above us. We of course finished above them in 13-14 too. The appointment of Poch has taken them to another level, along with the ripening of world class talent that they’ve managed to keep for now (despite the wage bill).

But the point remains: getting a good structure and identity in place (which is what we have done this season) is the most important thing. It will just take time to see the results on the pitch. It might be under Marco for us, it might be someone else. But to say it’s all futile and we can’t compete for a cup because it might stop us coming 7th is wrong.

Spurs

06-07 - 5th Premier League, quarter-final FA Cup, semi-final League Cup, quarter final UEFA Cup
07-08 - 11th Premier League, 4th round FA Cup, League Cup winners, 2nd round knock out UEFA Cup
08-09 - 8th Premier League, 4th round FA cup, runners up League Cup, 1st round knock out UEFA Cup

Everton

06-07 - 6th Premier League, 3rd round FA Cup, 4th round League Cup
07-08 - 5th Premier League, 3rd round FA Cup, semi-final round League Cup, 2nd round knock out UEFA Cup
08-09 - 5th Premier League, runners up FA Cup, 3rd round League Cup, 1st round qualifying knock out UEFA Cup

Their European and domestic cup runs effected their premier league finishes in these 3 season. After that, all bar one season 13-14, they have finished above us. This does happen with every team as I suggested in another post unless you have big depth. Something we've never had when we've done similar, on those rare occasions. 05-06 PL finish was bad, 14-15 as well was a shocker of a season.

I do too. The club is now entirely a vehicle for a massive regeneration project (and the profits associated with it). People have got the lob on for the Docks but Everton is Goodison and its surrounding area, profitable or not - we move away from this (and forget the legacy projects, it's not the same as a matchday atmosphere) and you fundamentally abandon your basic principles. People can say 'yer but we left Anfield' - it's round the corner and was a century ago. Sure, you can dress it up like Arsenal do, perhaps put some statues outside of former players, but Arsenal aren't about anything any more, in the same way neither are West Ham and ultimately, neither will be franchise Everton.

And paradoxically, this is why I wouldn't sack Silva even if we get to a boring 45-50 point finale. I'd rather see several years of an individual trying to achieve something rather than just rolling the dice again to stick in that 35%-45% band of brothers.
Spot on .....being an old git I understand how difficult it will be to just move to BM and retain an identity I treasure since I first watched my first game at Goodison. Perhaps not building a new stadium has benefited the rs...it still is analfield, Man U still have Old Trafford. Will a new stadium solve all our problems? Maybe not but I am hopeful that this will come to fruition. We need to get things right on the football field first and progress in tandem with the new stadium objectives....or else I fear the identity will be forgotten in a miasma of sacking managers every season...like the remark about sticking in the 35% - 45% band of brothers.. well said ;);)

Aye, I will judge him this time next season, if we sit in 10th still, well I will prolly want him bulleted, no matter how nice his pretty football is at times.
He's giving me a Martinez vibe atm and Martinez triggers me but if he starts winning I'll love him because I'm fickle like that.

But on what basis?

Fair enough if he has previously won a La Liga title or two or a few trophies in Italy and Germany, heck even gotten to a Champions League final or track record of building a quality side.

But he's done nothing other than win a greek title in a garbage greek league, done an okay job in an average Portuguese league and has ultimately failed in both jobs in England so far.

Im all for giving a manager time but only on the basis of them having something on their CV to make you believe they can turn things around.

Thsts a stupid statement though, all managers have to make their mark somewhere. If every team sacked managers after a dodgy start it would be an endless revolving door. Also, winning stuff at one club doesnt always guarantee success at another club or another league.
Even one of the best, Guardiola struggled in his first season before spending around £300mill on defenders alone. Wonder if he'd have done as well here without that.

Far too timid on touchline for me. Defence is a shambles and not once I have seen him in game organise them.

Arms crossed 95% of the time.

We create chances. Don't think there's been a game this season where we haven't created. We're just not clinical.

Walcott, Bernard, DCL, Tosun all guilty of missing relatively easy chances.

Richarlson is our only goal threat really. Which has been the problem pre and post Lukaku. Not enough players helping out with the goals.

We create chances. Don't think there's been a game this season where we haven't created. We're just not clinical.

Richarlson is our only goal threat really. Which has been the problem pre and post Lukaku. Not enough players helping out with the goals.
Gomes header at Anfield from a yard out as well..

Apparently we dont need a striker though...and if we do need one, then we have to wait until the summer....because it's against the rules for Everton to get a player in January....and the season we're now in is a bit of a kick-a-round at the back of the shops and doesn't really count as a season.

Something like that anyway. The clever people said.

And Liverpool sold their best player and other fringe players, we’ve pissed money up the wall in recent years 2-3 years we’ve spent over 100 million on Bolaise, Tosun, Klassen, Morgan, Walcott and Niasse, staggering really.

Emery, Pellegrini, Mancini ... all won honours in last 5 years. Know how to shape sides.
Nobody - but I bet Moyes would have signed better players and had a more robust side.

Status
Not open for further replies.