• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the panic we did well yesterday just bad finishing and defending cost us. West Ham worried Mr more but we have enough to be comfortable even in a transition season.

We went to Arsenal away and went at them, we probably had by far the better chances, a world class goal and a dodgy offside goal ended us.

Promising signs for sure, hopefully the results will follow.

Cech was given MOTM and even Dracula said we were the better team.

Arsenal manager Unai Emery: "We are happy because we wanted to win for our supporters, to continue improving, and the three points are very important. We didn't control the match like we wanted to in the first half, but our goalkeeper had a good performance to keep us in it.

We went to Arsenal away and went at them, we probably had by far the better chances, a world class goal and a dodgy offside goal ended us.

Promising signs for sure, hopefully the results will follow.

Cech was given MOTM and even Dracula said we were the better team.

Arsenal manager Unai Emery: "We are happy because we wanted to win for our supporters, to continue improving, and the three points are very important. We didn't control the match like we wanted to in the first half, but our goalkeeper had a good performance to keep us in it.
How often did we see those counter attacks finished off in the past with Lukaku slotting from inside the area? His movement was the key. We have no one in attack remotley with that sense of space and timing.

Pep's Barca was a possession-based side that pressed high. But you don't have to be a possession-based side to press. There's different ways of going about it.

And no, I'm referring to the team pressing as a unit which, for once, we did yesterday in the first half. We cut the passing options and had the players in forward positions to break. Arsenal had 63% of the ball in the first half, yet we were far more dangerous, and we didn't exactly sit back and look to soak it up, did we.

What way did we get caught?

We got caught out because Davies failed to get enough on a clearance and Kenny let Lacazette onto his right foot. Outstanding finish. It had nothing to do with pressing high or getting caught on the counter.

Their second was a mistake by Zouma. Kenny didn't then step up when Keane did in the initial offside trap, and then we know the rest with the linesman.

The last half-an-hour - well, from 60 mins until 80mins we were poor and Arsenal could have had more. After that we started to get more of a foothold but offered little threat, and the game was stretched.

But the goals we conceded had nothing to do with tactics, or full-backs pressing high. They were a combination of individual errors (Kenny/Zouma), an outstanding finish from a potent goalscorer and the official not doing his job.
Ok, will try this again another way.
In general,Rico, Walcott and DCL put pressure on the the start of the Arsenal build up and as mentioned it was effective at times in helping the midfield put pressure on the Arsenal players receiving the ball.
That is, when your tactics are counter attack, mids don't generally join in that pressure and make it a high press.
They want the press to be where the ball is being received in the next phase.
Sometimes they did this.
At other times Sig saw the potential for a press and joined in. This drew Gana or Davies into covering the immediate passing line, and at times directly into the press. And yes there was success, usu with help from Gana, in turning over possession and mounting an attack. (This is not a counter attack btw)
You might think this is great and all, but its also source of why we are losing/not winning matches. It shouldn't be the problem but with the current mix of players and tactics/formation used, it is.
You need to join the dots from there to how the opposition midfielders/forwards are time and again moving into, and then loitering, in front of the CBs without any pressure. And why its too easy to get passes to them because while playing a 4-2-3-1 (Hint the 3 in this formation do very little to prevent this happening)
There's a lot to what's going on, but the goals on the weekend illustrate quite a few things (apologies for last post with reference to the first goal being 4v4, I was looking at the previous attacking play before they scored the goal which should have been a goal also, and blame the confusion on my bro-in-law n a bottle of scotch)

1st goal
Its sickening seeing Kenny being blamed for the first goal or that it was just a world class strike.
Lacazette (widest player on the pitch, with no pressure from Walcott) played a pin point pass right across the defence to Ramsey on the edge of the D.
Davies sprint/lunge interception should not have been necessary if he had just been man marking him - the ball should not have had a chance of getting to the attacker, if this had been done, or if the retreating Gana had blocked the passing lane (but shouldn't be expected to do everything)
Kenny at this stage is the only one marking, picking up the only forward in the backline.
Because of Davies lunge his follow up is unable to prevent the Ramsey receiving the ball back.
Meanwhile Lacazette has a free run in loads of space because Walcott does what Walcott does when defending - nothing!
Its gobsmacking that he just let him run past and stood there and watched - disgraceful.
As the ball gets played wide to Lacazette, Kenny has to leave his man to go to him.
Two Arsenal players who have made the run to draw away the defenders to allow Lacazette the space to bend round Kenny
Once again Kenny was left completely exposed and this time the goal was scored.

You can blame the players, but Silva should've of learnt his by now -
If Walcott is going to do nothing to prevent goals like this, then don't put him on the wing in this formation.
Don't let Gana run around trying to do everything, give him a proper position - and make it simpler for the back four to organise themselves based on what going on in front of them.
Man up and mark up when needed, stop your players playing like a bunch of pussies.

2nd goal
3 v Kenny - says it all.

We can play like we did in the first half and end up no better than 10th.
Or the defense/midfield can be sorted out and the building can begin.

Seems quite obvious to me...

We've got half a team of good players...most of whom havent been available for several games.

Once these players have a run of games together we will be a different proposition, possibly 6th/7th best this season.

Then we add more similar quality players.

If we lose to Fulham on saturday then the question definitely need to be raised if Moshiris wet dream is the right one. Maybe BS again to save us? He still have a salary from us.

Worry thats fine but back him and the team. Its 6 games in
As I said I back every Everton manager,but he worries me .DCL with a lousy goal scoring record yet he keeps playing him. Niasse whatever his limitations has a far superior goals per minute return.I don't care if it goes in off someones arse or his elbow.Just look at our points total from our supposed easy start to the season

19 goals in 45 appearances isn’t terrible but his form is very patchy, he scores in fits and starts rather than being a consistent threat. He’s not top 10 in his position or perhaps even top 20. By that definition, he’s not top class, in my book anyway.
You don't need to be top class to score against our defence.

Ok, will try this again another way.
In general,Rico, Walcott and DCL put pressure on the the start of the Arsenal build up and as mentioned it was effective at times in helping the midfield put pressure on the Arsenal players receiving the ball.
That is, when your tactics are counter attack, mids don't generally join in that pressure and make it a high press.
They want the press to be where the ball is being received in the next phase.
Sometimes they did this.
At other times Sig saw the potential for a press and joined in. This drew Gana or Davies into covering the immediate passing line, and at times directly into the press. And yes there was success, usu with help from Gana, in turning over possession and mounting an attack. (This is not a counter attack btw)
You might think this is great and all, but its also source of why we are losing/not winning matches. It shouldn't be the problem but with the current mix of players and tactics/formation used, it is.
You need to join the dots from there to how the opposition midfielders/forwards are time and again moving into, and then loitering, in front of the CBs without any pressure. And why its too easy to get passes to them because while playing a 4-2-3-1 (Hint the 3 in this formation do very little to prevent this happening)
There's a lot to what's going on, but the goals on the weekend illustrate quite a few things (apologies for last post with reference to the first goal being 4v4, I was looking at the previous attacking play before they scored the goal which should have been a goal also, and blame the confusion on my bro-in-law n a bottle of scotch)

1st goal
Its sickening seeing Kenny being blamed for the first goal or that it was just a world class strike.
Lacazette (widest player on the pitch, with no pressure from Walcott) played a pin point pass right across the defence to Ramsey on the edge of the D.
Davies sprint/lunge interception should not have been necessary if he had just been man marking him - the ball should not have had a chance of getting to the attacker, if this had been done, or if the retreating Gana had blocked the passing lane (but shouldn't be expected to do everything)
Kenny at this stage is the only one marking, picking up the only forward in the backline.
Because of Davies lunge his follow up is unable to prevent the Ramsey receiving the ball back.
Meanwhile Lacazette has a free run in loads of space because Walcott does what Walcott does when defending - nothing!
Its gobsmacking that he just let him run past and stood there and watched - disgraceful.
As the ball gets played wide to Lacazette, Kenny has to leave his man to go to him.
Two Arsenal players who have made the run to draw away the defenders to allow Lacazette the space to bend round Kenny
Once again Kenny was left completely exposed and this time the goal was scored.

You can blame the players, but Silva should've of learnt his by now -
If Walcott is going to do nothing to prevent goals like this, then don't put him on the wing in this formation.
Don't let Gana run around trying to do everything, give him a proper position - and make it simpler for the back four to organise themselves based on what going on in front of them.
Man up and mark up when needed, stop your players playing like a bunch of pussies.

2nd goal
3 v Kenny - says it all.

We can play like we did in the first half and end up no better than 10th.
Or the defense/midfield can be sorted out and the building can begin.

Well it's purely semantics then.

To me, a counter is when you quickly win the ball back and break. Whether that be from deep or from high up. I'm not into all the technical terms of vertical passing, turnovers etc. It's a counter, in my eyes.

For the first goal, I'm not blaming any of our players. My point was Arsenal got lucky with a bounce/failed clearance and Lacazette had the quality to punish us. In an ideal world, Kenny would have shown Lacazette the left side but he would have then been into the box and there's a chance of a pen/goal anyway.

Three v Kenny has nothing to do with tactics. It has to do with Zouma making a bad mistake and then diving in. Arsenal break, Keane steps up to play an offside and Kenny doesn't (as he has a habit of doing at the moment).

Arsenal then get lucky with a blatant offside, but it came from a mistake. That's not tactics.

Stop looking to blame Silva for that. Mistakes happen and bad bounces happen. The issue is that we didn't finish the chances when we had them. The tactics (which you describe very adequately at the start of your post) were key in us creating those chances, because we applied pressure to the Arsenal line and had the pace to capitalise.

You can criticise fairly, like why did he not change it up when we went 1-0 down or just before, when we were on top but it was clear DCL was flagging. Or why did it take 20 minutes for us to reorganise?

So the tactics worked. The goals we conceded were down to individual mistakes or errors in judgement from players at that point, plus a quality finish and a stunningly bad piece of officiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.