• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Koeman's team hammered Man City and the old "Fortress Goodison" quotes started to re-emerge.And even though we drew there.it was a false dawn.I'm sure I'll get accused of having an agenda or the old glass half full quote,but until we start getting regular results at top six grounds there is no real sustained improvement.The team that played Sunday and the performance at Fulham show there are still problems.
I know, I am trying* to stay on an even keel and not get too carried away either way with Silva. We haven't even got to the point were we are expecting 1 or 3 points at home as par for the course against the big 6, let alone in away games.

*the key word is trying. The euphoria of a couple of decent performances or despair of a defeat seems wild at the moment.

Agreed

Allardyce got 8th last season
Silva added Gomez, zouma, richarlison, Bernard, digne, mina and may end up in the same position

Discuss

I’m going to guess that it’s because we arent the only team to spend money?

In that time we’ve improved on nearly every metric, beaten more teams above us than most managers at the club have in over the last 20 years or so and the football we play is much better.

That while embedding a new style of play and 6 new first team players and lowering the average age of the team quite dramatically.

You only have to look at the atmosphere at goodison to know we’ve improved.

I don't quite understand what some people want.

It's surely accepted by pretty much everybody that - realistically - 7th is the best we could ever have done this season. The thing is, you simply cannot finish 7th and be 'consistent', it's not possible.

Let's say we'd held on to the lead against Newcastle, and maybe Wolves and Bournemouth away, and beat a dreadful Huddersfield at home. 10 more points on the board, virtually guaranteed 7th, still in with an outside chance of 6th, looking at our second highest points total in the PL era. That sounds pretty good right? And yet we'd have still lost to Fulham, Brighton, Southampton etc, still failed to beat Newcastle, West Ham and Watford at home. We'd still be sat here saying we were inconsistent, because consistent teams challenge for the league, and we're a long way from that. We need to be realistic about our expectations, otherwise no team or manager is ever going to be accepted.

Agreed

Allardyce got 8th last season
Silva added Gomez, zouma, richarlison, Bernard, digne, mina and may end up in the same position

Discuss
Newcastle are at exact identical points at this stage of the season as last year incd points goals scored and against difference is they are 13th not 10th

I don't quite understand what some people want.

It's surely accepted by pretty much everybody that - realistically - 7th is the best we could ever have done this season. The thing is, you simply cannot finish 7th and be 'consistent', it's not possible.

Let's say we'd held on to the lead against Newcastle, and maybe Wolves and Bournemouth away, and beat a dreadful Huddersfield at home. 10 more points on the board, virtually guaranteed 7th, still in with an outside chance of 6th, looking at our second highest points total in the PL era. That sounds pretty good right? And yet we'd have still lost to Fulham, Brighton, Southampton etc, still failed to beat Newcastle, West Ham and Watford at home. We'd still be sat here saying we were inconsistent, because consistent teams challenge for the league, and we're a long way from that. We need to be realistic about our expectations, otherwise no team or manager is ever going to be accepted.

To that point as well, at least one of Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal are going to finish in the Champions League places and they've all been inconsistent, just less so than the teams below. They've all lost to teams well below them.

I branded Silva as a lower mid table manager, because that's how we were performing.I honestly didn't see the turnaround coming.But the performances against Chelsea Arsenal and especially Man United have left me eating my words.I say things as i see it, and as of now Silva has won this doubting thomas over.

We needed to see a massive improvement to believe that he might actually be able to achieve something given a bit of time. From the second half against Chelsea onwards we have seen that.

Our league record still reads W14 L14, so still plenty of work to do, but given a decent summer window he might just be able to do that with the backing of Brands and the board.

Looking at the fixtures I still don’t see us getting 7th, Watford must be favourites for that (oh the irony), so having no Europe will be a set back to attracting decent players for next season, unless they are offered stupidly high salary contracts, the likes of which we have already had our fingers burnt on previously so that will be interesting.

Let’s hope Watford start thinking about the cup final and we can continue the recent run.

I branded Silva as a lower mid table manager, because that's how we were performing.I honestly didn't see the turnaround coming.But the performances against Chelsea Arsenal and especially Man United have left me eating my words.I say things as i see it, and as of now Silva has won this doubting thomas over.
It only took an Easter miracle to get a doubting Thomas believing did it?

He has for sure, hope he carrys on. What i cant understand though is players like Keane and Siggy have also done the same but some still persit with nonsense about them based on last season.

There can be no doubt that the post-Christmas flank upgrades from Richarlison/Digne & Walcott/Coleman to Bernard/Digne & Richarlison/Coleman has helped the side out tremendously.

Richarlison works way better down that side with Seamus, and Bernard is a perfect partner for Digne on the left. No need to touch those four players when we're only ever playing 1 game a week.

Maybe Walcott's stinking early-season form forced the change, but whatever it was that got Marco to make the change, it's paid off.

He has for sure, hope he carrys on. What i cant understand though is players like Keane and Siggy have also done the same but some still persit with nonsense about them based on last season.

The best we were looking for this season was some evidence of improvement and I think we can point to at least 3 major achievements:

1) Successful signings - Digne, Richarlison, Zouma, Gomes, most of the time Bernard and some hope for the future in Mina and Virginia
2) Wins against the 'top 6' - even though we were at home, and Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal are inconsistent, we always got overwhelmed
3) A new playing style - this is huge considering we have had a boring mix of dreadful football

As well as this:
- respectful management (it seems from the outside) of Jags, Baines, McCarthy, Coleman type long-term players on one hand, and previous managers' signings ,like Tosun, Walcott Schneiderlin and Siggy
- encouraging management of young players, particularly Davies and DCL, though Kenny and Lookman might feel a bit confused. Hopefully Dowell and Holgate are on the radar too.

I think there's a lot to look forward to. Fulham defeat is a great lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.